Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
guitaardvark

Motorcycles: KLR650
Name:
Would a 2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE make a good project bike?

Hey all,

So my friend's brother has a Shadow 750 ACE that's been sitting for about two years in his garage since it went down. He claims that it needs new handlebars/risers, a new clutch assembly, and some wear items like a front tire, chain, and sprocket. It'll also need some other general stuff like oil, battery, etc. to get it roadworthy since it's been sitting so long.

I've heard Shadows are generally great bikes (if a bit slow, which I don't mind because I've been riding a KLR for almost two years now), and I really enjoyed a 600 that I test rode a few years back. As a project bike, I'd like some opinions.

-Are parts cheap/widely available?
-Are parts from other Shadows compatible with the ACE 750?
-Are they easy to work on?
-Do they have any known issues?

Assuming I can get it for very cheap, would it be a good buy?

Thanks guys!
guitaardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
davbib
Rookie

Motorcycles: A few
Name: Dave
I’d say ya, depending on what you want to do with it. What do you envision?
davbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Given that it's been sitting for 2 years it'll need a carb clean as well, possibly more. Wouldn't be a surprise if it needs fork seals as well.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
guitaardvark

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbib View Post
I’d say ya, depending on what you want to do with it. What do you envision?
I honestly just want a reliable, comfortable commuter. I know the square tires and heavy weight will make it hard to throw around on the back roads, but lack of speed has never been a concern for me, and while I love the KLR, I never take it off road so it's hard to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Given that it's been sitting for 2 years it'll need a carb clean as well, possibly more. Wouldn't be a surprise if it needs fork seals as well.
My friend says that it has a crack in the oil pan and the forks are blown (the brother didn't mention these two things, so I'll ask him about it when I go to check it out again), so it may need a lot. I'd definitely clean the carbs though.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Is it a good project? Depends. Can you do all the work yourself? Can you or someone you know reliably inspect the bike and draw up a budget for what likely needs to be repaired or replaced?

Sometimes the free or very cheap bikes are not bargains at all, especially if you cant do the above. And even if you can, some still arent.

For example I picked up a TLR200R Reflex for a few hundred dollars and it was complete, but sitting and neglected for many many years. I probably got over a grand in parts/materials into it when I finished the project to my satisfaction. All my labor. Only a few hundred less than what I could have bought a nicer example for on Craiglist. I enjoyed the project and built it as I wanted for a twin shock trials bike to play on. Was it a great deal all said and done, perhaps not. Its what I wanted though.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
guitaardvark

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Is it a good project? Depends. Can you do all the work yourself? Can you or someone you know reliably inspect the bike and draw up a budget for what likely needs to be repaired or replaced?

Sometimes the free or very cheap bikes are not bargains at all, especially if you cant do the above. And even if you can, some still arent.

For example I picked up a TLR200R Reflex for a few hundred dollars and it was complete, but sitting and neglected for many many years. I probably got over a grand in parts/materials into it when I finished the project to my satisfaction. All my labor. Only a few hundred less than what I could have bought a nicer example for on Craiglist. I enjoyed the project and built it as I wanted for a twin shock trials bike to play on. Was it a great deal all said and done, perhaps not. Its what I wanted though.
I can do all of the work myself or with the assistance of more qualified friends with the exception of the tires, which would be a pain in the ass to do on my own anyways. That said, I know that it'll need some serious work. A few years ago, I found an SV650 for $500 which just needed a new front spark plug and the waterproofing fix. Unfortunately, lightning doesn't strike twice.

I'm mostly looking for a learning experience and an excuse to wrench on something since I genuinely enjoy doing so anyways. The seller says he'll get back to me in a few days with a price, so if the price of the bike + the parts needed even comes close to the price of a used one in good condition, I'll walk.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Just my opinion, but I'd wouldn't put time, money and effort into a cruiser. I'd say find a good standard or maybe sport tourer.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Last edited by ST Guy; 01-06-2019 at 07:13 PM..
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
The Honda Shadow 750 I rode was the worst motorcycle I have ever ridden. But that's just like my opinion man.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
But that's just like my opinion man.
“This is a very complicated case Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.”

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Better make sure that bike even HAS an oil pan. A lot of cruisers don't . Which means that crack is in the crankcase.

Mad
Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 AM   #11
Pushrod
Veteran

Motorcycles: VTR, R100RS,CB500
Name:
An underpowered cruiser with iffy styling, no enthusiastic support base or following, as a commuter?

Only if you are a monetary masochist and have no riding friends. As a balm for the itch to work on something? Sure, if it comes to you without cost. (And it will get very, very expensive to make right.)

I'm with ST Guy, go in another direction, standards will yield more satisfaction in the dollar cost average arena.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Better make sure that bike even HAS an oil pan. A lot of cruisers don't . Which means that crack is in the crankcase.

Mad
Just checked with Bike Bandit. No oil pan, just the left and right halves of the case.

OP: If cracked, the engine is junk. Recycle the whole bike.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote