Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 01-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #61
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Stores make me go to them. If I want them to bring it to me they charge. Amazon sends me shit within 2 days. My time is worth more than a few dollars.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #62
renxianqiclone
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS250 Chester View Post
I grew up in a small town in the 70s, department stores were JC Penney and Sears. JC Penney always felt glamorous compared to Sears. Sears felt like it was stuck in the 50-60's.

Fast forward through the decades, I only stopped by Sears for tools, but every time I stepped in, it always felt like it was stuck in time, some 10-20 years behind the times. Crazy thing is, it felt like that for all Sears.
Remember the good ol' days shopping at all those stores? Emporium Capwell and Montgomery Wards... Circuit City and The Good Guys... CompUSA and Computer City... Radio Shack and recently Orchards...

Which big box retailer is going to fall next? I think Macys is soon going bye-bye.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #63
renxianqiclone
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Service Merchandise too
There was one of those in Cupertino where the Homegoods is now. And another similar store called BEST.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #64
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV Mille, Aprilia RS250, Cagiva Mito 125
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renxianqiclone View Post
Remember the good ol' days shopping at all those stores? Emporium Capwell and Montgomery Wards... Circuit City and The Good Guys... CompUSA and Computer City... Radio Shack and recently Orchards...

Which big box retailer is going to fall next? I think Macys is soon going bye-bye.
Really wonder what will happen to Frys. Seen their hours change, slow traffic and a cut in inventory. Wonder if their days are numbered.

Loved Good Guys, that store was always busy. I'm sure people remember Whole Earth Access, always enjoyed going to the store off Ashby.

"A true friend stabs you in the front."

"If there's one thing that Republicans schooled in the ways of Wall Street have taught us, it's this: Don't spend money you don't have; spend money other people don't have." - Bill Mahrer

RS250 Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #65
renxianqiclone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
Yeah. Toys-R-Us is gone too. Lionel Kiddie City for you east coast peeps is long gone too. I'n not going to cry in my pillow about it tonight but, there is a sense of nostalgic loss involved.
And FAO Swartz!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #66
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Amazon sends me shit within 2 days.
Codeword ^^^
BTW I Think with amazon you actually have a chance of getting a copy-cat if not counterfeit version of the same product. And they don't care.

But you are "right" . One thing is true, there is more traffic and going to a store is harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renxianqiclone View Post
And FAO Swartz!

Why would anyone name a kiddie store "Black" is slightly beyond me.. but anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
... I have prime, but prime really is just a membership akin to Costco, with some crappy video/audio/book? thrown in here and there, and damn if they're not making a killing just off membership fees. ...
actually I think there is something like that... I also have prime .. but I've noticed I don't order so much. I "bet" they're just sitting on my yearly Prime fee and making money from all of them...
Old 01-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #67
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
actually I think there is something like that... I also have prime .. but I've noticed I don't order so much. I "bet" they're just sitting on my yearly Prime fee and making money from all of them...
Thanks for being my offset.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #68
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
Thanks for being my offset.
Offset shmosfet. 100 Million (conservatively) prime subscribers x $119 per yr. = $11.9B revenue before a single product is ordered. They took Costco to the tenbillionth. Give the people what they want.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #69
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Back in the day, banks would give out toasters and other small appliances as incentives to open savings accounts. Our local bank offered to send these to the families of Vietnam soldiers if you would donate your gift. Just before Christmas, the bank asked if our Boy Scout troop would help wrap and package the gifts. One evening we showed up after hours to do our work. We walked into the bank to find a huge pile of gifts and about 6 beautiful models. It turns out the Sears catalog modeling agency was also donating time. We spent a few evenings with these ladies. You can only imagine the impact this had on young male teens. I actually found one of the models in the catalog. Her picture was kept under my mattress until I was given an old Playboy that my buddy found in his dad's garage. I shit you not.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #70
Agent Orange
The b0y ninja

Founding Member

Motorcycles: None
Name:
Haha, I remember opening my first playboy like it was Moses discovering the 10 commandments.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #71
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Codeword ^^^
BTW I Think with amazon you actually have a chance of getting a copy-cat if not counterfeit version of the same product. And they don't care.

But you are "right" . One thing is true, there is more traffic and going to a store is harder.

Do you have any evidence I have received counterfeit products?

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #72
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Back in the day, banks would give out toasters and other small appliances as incentives to open savings accounts. Our local bank offered to send these to the families of Vietnam soldiers if you would donate your gift. Just before Christmas, the bank asked if our Boy Scout troop would help wrap and package the gifts. One evening we showed up after hours to do our work. We walked into the bank to find a huge pile of gifts and about 6 beautiful models. It turns out the Sears catalog modeling agency was also donating time. We spent a few evenings with these ladies. You can only imagine the impact this had on young male teens. I actually found one of the models in the catalog. Her picture was kept under my mattress until I was given an old Playboy that my buddy found in his dad's garage. I shit you not.

Side note: there was also some controversy one year when the catalog included a male model in the underwear section wearing some boxers with his dingle hanging below cloth.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #73
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun

Contributor

I'm not changing banks for a $15 toaster

- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #74
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Haha!
Times were simple back then, you could find parking I bet. And also even walk to/from school.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #75
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Do you have any evidence I have received counterfeit products?
Absolutely, it's just statistics