Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Frame Maker
Veteran

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
loud or modified exhaust/muffler on SPCN..?

Asking just out of curiosity... There has been much conversation lately about new laws and fines regarding modification of stock exhaust systems.

So this got me curious what happens when a LEO pulls over a moto thinking the exhaust has been modified... and the moto turns out to be titled as an SPCN (special construction). What happens next? I assume there must be some general vehicle code for excessive noise (if applicable) , but kinda difficult to say its been "modified" when there is no "original equipment" to reference from. Thoughts?

2019-01-15_11-54-15 by andbike, on Flickr" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto; width: auto\9;">

2019-01-15_12-02-22 by andbike, on Flickr" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto; width: auto\9;">
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attackô-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
I don’t have an answer for you, but please post more images of the 2-stroke and it’s alternative front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Doesn't matter if it came from the factory like that, the wording of the law means an officer can cite you for it. And it's no longer a correctable citation, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB1824
Certain vehicle exhaust violations no longer correctable (AB 1824, Committee on Budget): A
fine will become mandatory, not correctable, when loud motor vehicles and motorcycles are cited.
Previously, a driver or motorcyclist who was cited for modified or excessively loud exhaust or
muffler systems could correct the violation to avoid a fine.
Notice how it says modified or loud.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Frame Maker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
I donít have an answer for you, but please post more images of the 2-stroke and itís alternative front end.
No problem I'll just put this here https://www.odd-bike.com/2013/03/yam...wo-smoker.html
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Frame Maker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Doesn't matter if it came from the factory like that, the wording of the law means an officer can cite you for it. And it's no longer a correctable citation, either.

Notice how it says modified or loud.
I understand if it is loud, game over. But what if its not loud, yet still catches the attention of a LEO (who thinks it doesn't look like OEM equipment)?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Five Apples

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame Maker View Post
I understand if it is loud, game over. But what if its not loud, yet still catches the attention of a LEO (who thinks it doesn't look like OEM equipment)?
Then I suspect they'd look for a CARB certification, which, let's be honest, almost no exhaust systems have anymore.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Frame Maker
Veteran

Quote:
Then I suspect they'd look for a CARB certification, which, let's be honest, almost no exhaust systems have anymore.
I think you are referring to the federal / EPA noise emissions sticker usually found on the frame of most motos. But an SPCN obviously wouldn't have one.

2019-01-15_12-36-37 by andbike, on Flickr" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto; width: auto\9;">
Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Five Apples

Contributor +

I was more referring to the CARB exemption sticker that should come with CARB approved exhausts.

Quote:
Q4. How do I know that the parts on my motorcycle have received the proper VC 27156 exemption?

A4. Aftermarket part manufacturers are required to provide a label to identify each exempted part sold. The label should indicate the manufacturer's name, device name and a valid E.O. number assigned byARB. The format of the E.O. number is D-xxx-xxx, where "xxx" is a series of designated numbers. The label is either affixed directly to the part itself or included with the part with instructions to install itin a visible location. Look for this label when shopping for emission-related aftermarket motorcycle parts.
However I see that is for aftermarket units, so I don't think that would technically apply. Also, if the bike never had catalytic converters, you can put any old exhaust you want on it (noise rules still apply, different regulation though).

Quote:
Note that exhaust systems (headers or mufflers) intended for installation on non-catalyst equipped motorcycles are also considered by ARB to be replacement parts provided all emission controls originally connected to the exhaust manifold are reconnected to the exhaust system and are functioning properly.
Basically, I think it falls in a gray area as to whether or not it's "modified" since the argument could kind of be made either way. Though, devil's advocate, I seriously doubt that anyone who would go through the trouble to build a one-off, or specialty built motorcycle, with a flashy enough exhaust to catch an LEO's attention, WOULDN'T violate the noise regulations. So really the argument is pretty pointless, but I see where you're coming from.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Since it's SPCN, as long as the bike never had a cat on it, whether the engine did doesn't matter - right?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
Frame Maker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Since it's SPCN, as long as the bike never had a cat on it, whether the engine did doesn't matter - right?
I dunno... that's why I'm curious how a LEO would approach this question.

Last edited by Frame Maker; 01-15-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
Five Apples

Contributor +

Quote:
I dunno... that's why I'm curious how a LEO would approach this question.
Like I said, seems like a trivial question. I seriously doubt any LEO would have such a hardon for anyone in this situation unless they were really asking for trouble. Worst case, they can just mandate that you get the bike fully inspected by CHP. And again, 99.999999999999% if not 100% of these bikes will have exhausts that are loud enough to receive citations for that, as well. So yeah, pretty trivial.

But since you asked, unless the owner was riding like a prick, if they're a car/bike guy, they'd probably just say "cool bike" and may ask a few q's and send you on your way. If they're not, they probably wouldn't know that it's anything other than a Suzhonawasamaha.

Last edited by 295566; 01-15-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Awesome article.

A whole lot a talent and ingenuity going on in the FFE!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
I think you are referring to the federal / EPA noise emissions sticker usually found on the frame of most motos. But an SPCN obviously wouldn't have one.

2019-01-15_12-36-37 by andbike, on Flickr" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto; width: auto\9;">
Most, if not all, stock exhaust systems have an EPA certificate stamped into them. Usually near the end of the muffler.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
Frame Maker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Awesome article.

A whole lot a talent and ingenuity going on in the FFE!
Thanks. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Most, if not all, stock exhaust systems have an EPA certificate stamped into them. Usually near the end of the muffler.
At some point in time this was likely not a requirement. Half of the bikes in my garage were made in the mid 80s or earlier and don't have any markings stamped into the OEM exhaust (except for part numbers).

On a side note, I don't recall any of my SPCNs being assigned a year of manufacture. I kinda remember the titles having "0000" for the year of manufacture.

Quote:
Like I said, seems like a trivial question. I seriously doubt any LEO would have such a hardon for anyone in this situation unless they were really asking for trouble...
... they'd probably just say "cool bike" and may ask a few q's and send you on your way...
Of course this is what I'd expect... but still curious to hear comments from an actual LEO.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
The code I would cite doesn't state modified or original, so that's a moot point. If it's too loud, it's too loud.

Quote:
(a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
That said, of the roughly 3,000 traffic stops I've made thus far, I have stopped a grand total of one motorcycle for an excessively loud exhaust. Based on when I first heard it, average speed for the road, and how long it took him to reach me, I estimate it could be heard 2 miles away.

And he got a warning, so there's that.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote