Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
philipviana
Apex Twin

Motorcycles: 2016 rc390, 2005 sv650s
Name: Philip
'05 sv650 engine woes - advice appreciated

Bought a beautiful yellow 2005 sv650s over the summer, 17,000 miles. Pristine exterior and it felt good on my test ride.

First week, notice it gets very poor MPG (20mpg). Do some basic periodic maintenance at moto guild and eventually get it up to 30-33mpg (fresh rubber, cleaned drive train, clean air filter, etc.). Many happy rides ensue.

20,000 mi - bike won't start. Took to Meteor Motorbikes. Mechanic finds compression is off on both cylinders. We agree cheapest route / most surefire bet is to simply replace with used engine on ebay for $700, vs. embarking on potentially many hours of tinkering. Order engine on ebay, appears pristine, 12k miles, highly reputable seller with thousands of 5 star reviews and minimal poor reviews.

Engine arrives poorly packaged on a tire on a pallet with shrink wrap. Mechanic discovers crank will not turn without bad noises and resistance. Takes lid off and peers inside to discover bad rust and water damage, pitted cylinder, and a valve stuck shut with rust. Suggests I refund from seller for selling a non-functioning engine. Seller is hostile and refuses refund on grounds that we "tampered" with the engine (disassembly). Seller says rust is non-issue and appears normal and must have formed after they power washed and shipped the engine (what the fuck?). I argue that if we had installed the engine, it would probably not run for very long given the severe wear and the roughness of its turning, and I would be down hundreds in labor, hence the pre-install check. Seller finally agrees for us to freight the engine back to him (we pay for shipping, per seller's original terms.. sigh) but immediately appeals the return to ebay.

Meteor Motorbikes's instagram post of my rusted engine

Current status: trying to find shipping to South Dakota that doesn't cost $300, but wondering whether I should just cut my losses and keep the rusted engine and save on freight because of the unlikelihood of refund if seller wins the appeal. Also wondering whether I want to buy another used sv engine on ebay after this experience. I am currently the proud owner of an sv650s and two dead engines.

Hope BARF can shed some light - I want to get my sv back on its feet without shedding thousands more dollars.

Questions:

1. Would you take your chances trying to ship a broken engine back to a hostile seller and possibly waste another $2-300 in freight? Can you recommend an affordable freight service for a 48x22x28 palette weighing about 120lbs?

2. Would you take a chance and buy another used ebay engine after an experience like this? Is there a better source for a replacement 05 sv650s engine?

3. No fix sell - would I be able to get any decent money back selling a dead sv650? Bought for $3200, put several hundred in labor, new tires, fork oil, etc. since then, was hoping to ride it a long time or flip it for a little more than $3200, but what would a dead sv650s go for ?

Last edited by philipviana; 01-15-2019 at 01:58 PM..
philipviana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I had a very similar situation with ebay and fought like a bastard about it. I didn't ship it back. I refused to do that. Instead I asked for a bill of sale signed with the engine number on it. When he refused to do that, I reported him to ebay for possibly selling stolen goods and refusing to document them. Got a full refund.

Yes, you got a bad seller. I wouldn't ship it back. Look locally. Next time replace the heads.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
We got luckier than you. Found a low mile motor on ebay. Had video of it running too. Showed up in a strong crate with packing. Put it in and it runs great. I would not ship that motor back. Keep fighting for a full refund. If you want a motor you can rebuild, we have an 05 with a bad bearing. Complete.

Mad
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
bobl
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX6 Kawasaki
Name:
You should contact Ebay. Let them handle it. I wouldn't spend 300 tp ship it back either.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Next time, don't open the engine until you contact the seller and discuss the options. I went through a similar situation although I was the seller. The buyer opened the equipment I sold and then tried to get a refund. I was awarded full payment as soon as Ebay found out the buyer opened the equipment. This was aircraft electronics and the buyer was trying to steal some Eproms and then get a refund on the equipment.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
philipviana
Apex Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Next time, don't open the engine until you contact the seller and discuss the options. I went through a similar situation although I was the seller. The buyer opened the equipment I sold and then tried to get a refund. I was awarded full payment as soon as Ebay found out the buyer opened the equipment. This was aircraft electronics and the buyer was trying to steal some Eproms and then get a refund on the equipment.
This is what I feared. When buying a used engine, do I just have to eat the costs of time/labor when installing, testing and removing the engine in the event that it doesn't work? At $100/hr and a 6 hour install process, it seems like I am potentially wasting a huge amount of money in either situation.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
How far off was compression on the original motor?

Did you do a leak down test as well?

Was a cause for the low compression ever found?

It's unusual that an engine with only 20,000 miles would have compression so bad that it should be replaced.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
RickM
Veteran

Contributor + 8%

Motorcycles: Red Honda and a few others.
Name: Ricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipviana View Post
This is what I feared. When buying a used engine, do I just have to eat the costs of time/labor when installing, testing and removing the engine in the event that it doesn't work? At $100/hr and a 6 hour install process, it seems like I am potentially wasting a huge amount of money in either situation.
I'd have spun by wrench and compression /leak down tested the motor before installing on bike

+ 1 st gen SV650 parts: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=460115
+ Ninja 650 parts: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=456140
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Busy Little Shop
Man behaving bikely...

Motorcycles: Honda RC45 RC30
Name: Larry L
I'm with ST Guy...

You never mentioned what caused the compression problem with the original engine...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
1952 De Havilland Chipmunk...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BusyLittleShop/feed
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55532474@N00/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10503451@N07/
Busy Little Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
As for the eBay engine, how was the listing written? Did the seller state the engine was in fine running condition? Did the seller state "No refunds"?

eBay refunds are for fraud conditions, or incorrect, or misleading listings.

So if a listing said something like "used engine, unknown condition, unknown miles, sold as-is, no refunds" then doesn't sound like a refund situation. Most experienced sellers will word listings to make zero promises.

I would be surprised in a seller would claim an engine was in fine running condition with no issues.

So you need to clearly crisply prove to eBay that what was stated in the listing was incorrect.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
Joshman
-

Motorcycles: sv650
Name: Josh
I've gotten a few ebay engines for the SV that were great (after sending them to Zoran for a refresh). I've never gotten anything in that bad of shape from eBay though. Bad luck IMO.

Side note: It's kind odd to me that your compression would be off in both cylinders on the SV since they don't share a head. Almost sounds to me like there's something up with the throttle bodies, but someone else with more SV knowledge should chime in.

Anyhow, I'd get more details on exactly what's wrong with your engine before replacing it or deciding to sell the bike as-is. Replacing the engine for low compression seems a bit overkill to me when replacing the heads and piston rings should be pretty cheap/easy assuming that's the issue.
AFM #438
TWF Racing
Joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #12
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshman View Post
I've gotten a few ebay engines for the SV that were great (after sending them to Zoran for a refresh). I've never gotten anything in that bad of shape from eBay though. Bad luck IMO.

Side note: It's kind odd to me that your compression would be off in both cylinders on the SV since they don't share a head. Almost sounds to me like there's something up with the throttle bodies, but someone else with more SV knowledge should chime in.

Anyhow, I'd get more details on exactly what's wrong with your engine before replacing it or deciding to sell the bike as-is. Replacing the engine for low compression seems a bit overkill to me when replacing the heads and piston rings should be pretty cheap/easy assuming that's the issue.
Sharing a head really has nothing to do with compression issues. It would only be a factor in the rarest of circumstances.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
philipviana
Apex Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
As for the eBay engine, how was the listing written? Did the seller state the engine was in fine running condition? Did the seller state "No refunds"?

eBay refunds are for fraud conditions, or incorrect, or misleading listings.

So if a listing said something like "used engine, unknown condition, unknown miles, sold as-is, no refunds" then doesn't sound like a refund situation. Most experienced sellers will word listings to make zero promises.

I would be surprised in a seller would claim an engine was in fine running condition with no issues.

So you need to clearly crisply prove to eBay that what was stated in the listing was incorrect.
"This engine is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, guaranteed to be fully operational. Motor has 12, 361 miles. The bike it came off of was never wrecked or laid over. The motor runs strong and shifts through all gears smoothly. Includes starter, stator, and clutch. There is some light rash as indicated in picture #7. Compression check confirmed all within tolerance. Never raced or stunted, so you will not be dissapointed with this one."

Thanks all for the input on this one. Might just try and troubleshoot the original engine more. Will reach out to ebay to dispute the second engine.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
"This engine is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, guaranteed to be fully operational. Motor has 12, 361 miles. The bike it came off of was never wrecked or laid over. The motor runs strong and shifts through all gears smoothly. Includes starter, stator, and clutch. There is some light rash as indicated in picture #7. Compression check confirmed all within tolerance. Never raced or stunted, so you will not be dissapointed with this one."

Thanks all for the input on this one. Might just try and troubleshoot the original engine more. Will reach out to ebay to dispute the second engine.
Definitely dispute that. I'd have asked for proof of compression check prior to purchasing, but oh well. You live and learn. From experience, eBay usually tends to side with the buyer rather than the seller.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Quote:
"This engine is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, guaranteed to be fully operational. Motor has 12, 361 miles. The bike it came off of was never wrecked or laid over.
Begs the question.

Why would someone remove the motor from a bike that was never wrecked, etc?