Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
philipviana
Apex Twin

Motorcycles: 2016 rc390, 2005 sv650s
Name: Philip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototireguy View Post
Begs the question.

Why would someone remove the motor from a bike that was never wrecked, etc?
Exactly what I'm wondering about this entire used motor market!
philipviana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #17
philipviana
Apex Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop View Post
I'm with ST Guy...

You never mentioned what caused the compression problem with the original engine...
Yeah, I have no idea, and since it was a mystery to the mechanic without him diving in further, I just took the cautious approach and said screw it, replace the whole engine, fearing that we could lose many hours trying to diagnose. But maybe that is overkill, so may go back and try to learn more about the original engine.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipviana View Post
Yeah, I have no idea, and since it was a mystery to the mechanic without him diving in further, I just took the cautious approach and said screw it, replace the whole engine, fearing that we could lose many hours trying to diagnose. But maybe that is overkill, so may go back and try to learn more about the original engine.
That's a good plan. The bike we bought supposedly ran. But when turning over by hand, it was extremely tight. Tried to start it but only ran for like 3 seconds. I think a rod bearing is seized. The rest of the motor looks fine.For your motor, It may be something as simple as tight or a burned valve. Easy enough to fix.

Mad

Last edited by Maddevill; 01-16-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Maddevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:

What were the numbers?

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #20
Busy Little Shop
Man behaving bikely...

Motorcycles: Honda RC45 RC30
Name: Larry L
Quote:
Motorcycle troubleshooting is a form of problem solving... It is a logical search
for the source of a problem so that it can be solved... it ain't about jumping to
conclusions... always eliminate the steps listed in the SV650 Shop Manual before
deciding action...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV650Page425.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	516518  
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
1952 De Havilland Chipmunk...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BusyLittleShop/feed
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55532474@N00/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10503451@N07/
Busy Little Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototireguy View Post
Begs the question.

Why would someone remove the motor from a bike that was never wrecked, etc?
Easy. Plenty of things are worth more as individual parts than they are as a whole. If you get good at recognizing what qualifies you can make a decent buck selling parts of various things. The internet has made this much more viable for many people as you dont have to specialize in a particular thing and build a reputation you can just get a bunch of junk and list it for sale in a dozen places and see what sells. It ain't easy, profits vary widely, but some people make a living that way
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
Quote:
"This engine is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition, guaranteed to be fully operational. Motor has 12, 361 miles. The bike it came off of was never wrecked or laid over. The motor runs strong and shifts through all gears smoothly. Includes starter, stator, and clutch. There is some light rash as indicated in picture #7. Compression check confirmed all within tolerance. Never raced or stunted, so you will not be dissapointed with this one."

Thanks all for the input on this one. Might just try and troubleshoot the original engine more. Will reach out to ebay to dispute the second engine.
Ok, this sounds hopeful. Come up with evidence/proof (pictures, quote from certified mechanic, etc) to dispute as many of these as you can.

Like:
in great mechanical condition - pictures, mechanic notes showing it isn't
in great cosmetic condition - pictures, mechanic notes
guaranteed to be fully operational - can you prove it isn't? pics/notes again?
Motor has 12, 361 miles - prob no way to dispute this?
The bike it came off of was never wrecked or laid over - again, no dispute here?
The motor runs strong - mechanic notes?
shifts through all gears smoothly - did that seem ok as far as possible to test?
Includes starter, stator, and clutch - came with all this?
There is some light rash as indicated in picture #7 - ok?
Compression check confirmed all within tolerance - not sure how to get a compression test of an engine out of a bike ... you are supposed to test them when warmed up. Can your mechanic confirm the compression?

I guess at some point it isn't worth it ... if you gotta pay your mechanic $350 to prove a $700 engine is no good ... maybe just skip it. But if the mechanic has already checked it out and is willing to document some stuff, might be worth it.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #23
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
Another tip ... you can actually call eBay. Poke around the dispute pages, and there is a way to say you want to contact them ... they will send you a code and phone number ... call them up and you get a real person to speak with.

Tell them what happened ... and ask them what you need to do to provide the proof/evidence so they understand how bad this engine is and how inaccurate and misleading the listing was.

Be reasonable and polite (they probably makes note about this).

Get all the info, pics, notes into your case.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #24
Joshman
-

Motorcycles: sv650
Name: Josh
Yeah, I guess I was reacting to the statement that both cylinders were low on compression. In other engines I've had, the times when multiple adjacent cylinders lost compression simultaneously was almost always the head (or head gasket).

In this case, I'm really not sure what would cause both cylinders to lose compression at the same time was my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
Sharing a head really has nothing to do with compression issues. It would only be a factor in the rarest of circumstances.
AFM #438
TWF Racing
Joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #25
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
See if you can get the actual compression numbers for the original engine. Who knows, they might be within the range of acceptability. And was compression measured with the engine hot or cold.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #26
philipviana
Apex Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
Another tip ... you can actually call eBay. Poke around the dispute pages, and there is a way to say you want to contact them ... they will send you a code and phone number ... call them up and you get a real person to speak with.

Tell them what happened ... and ask them what you need to do to provide the proof/evidence so they understand how bad this engine is and how inaccurate and misleading the listing was.

Be reasonable and polite (they probably makes note about this).

Get all the info, pics, notes into your case.
Great advice. After hunting around a bit I found an ebay help number. Spoke to a human and they immediately agreed that that seller should pay for return shipping and that I am owed a refund. Now I just need to wait and see if that turns out to be true. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #27
philipviana
Apex Twin

Got a call from the seller calling me a douchebag and telling me my mechanic is fucking me over! "that engine was perfect when it left! we did a compression test!" - repeated 10 times with swearing. "we are not paying for the fucking shipping". "why did you take the engine apart? why did you take the engine apart?"

At one point, she even said "i knew you guys were assholes when i saw where it was shipping to"... what does that mean? Everyone in Oakland is an asshole?

Are sellers even allowed to call buyers like that?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #28
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
What did they have to say about of all the rust?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Got a call from the seller calling me a douchebag and telling me my mechanic is fucking me over! "that engine was perfect when it left! we did a compression test!" - repeated 10 times with swearing. "we are not paying for the fucking shipping". "why did you take the engine apart? why did you take the engine apart?"

At one point, she even said "i knew you guys were assholes when i saw where it was shipping to"... what does that mean? Everyone in Oakland is an asshole?

Are sellers even allowed to call buyers like that?
Don't engage, call eBay again and tell them you're getting threatening phone calls from them now, ask them to intervene and take over. If you see emails or phone calls from them, don't answer or reply.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #30
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Great advice. After hunting around a bit I found an ebay help number. Spoke to a human and they immediately agreed that that seller should pay for return shipping and that I am owed a refund. Now I just need to wait and see if that turns out to be true. Thanks for the tip.
If that's their decision, you're good. They will refund you and take money from the seller's account if he fails to pay you.

Agree on the above post, let ebay know you are getting threats.