Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
FXCLM5
bombaclaud
 
FXCLM5's Avatar
 
1% Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: santa rosa
Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB0tt View Post
Aren't we about to hit another crash? Is this a good time to be getting into real estate?

I had a close friend completely lose everything as an agent during the last crash and she was doing well beforehand.
thats her bad, definitely not the norm especially being a "professional" of that sector
__________________
RIP CulverDan 7/5/18
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
bojangle
FN # 40
 
bojangle's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Bay
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Interested in this thread. I've been considering going into RE as a second career after retirement from LE.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 AM   #18
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghwy View Post
Thank you all for the responses. Will look into hiring requirements. My little brother has good work ethic, and fortunately while he lives at home doesn't have any major expenses so he definitely has time to spare while he gets situated and launches a career in real estate. At minimum I'd like him to have a 'fall-back' into real estate -- although I believe he can succeed in the role and will be pro-active in getting a foot in the door. I just don't want to see him do nothing and have no options.
Salam Al Le Kum!

I went through this disillusioning route before so here's my insights:

Since my career in education wasn't making enough money, I ventured into real estate. A colleague at work was also teaching Real Estate courses and I audited a few of them. She gave me copies of the textbooks and lots of practice tests which I feel are the most important part for anyone passing the test. Before taking the licencing test, your brother will need to have completed a certain amount of courses and/or lectures. Having done that, he will then need to register online to take the dreaded test in Oakland.

I sampled a few of my fellow classmates in the real estate classes (sample size <20) and here's an unscientific correlation I found- If your brother was a straight A student back in high school, the licencing test is pretty easy to study for and pass on his first try. If he was an A-B student, he might have to try 2-3 times before passing because the trick questions will keep him second guessing, especially the ones asking about ethics. Memorizing specific dates for paying property taxes and specific laws about discrimarion is imperative. If he was a C average student, he'll probably eventually pass by the 5th or 6th attempt.

The test is still being held in Oakland and parking there is a PITA. Tell him to bring his own lunch because the food at the cafeteria sucks. Travel lightly because the test proctors won't let him take anything with him into the testing room. Personal lockers will be provided but they are tiny and don't put anything valuable in those lockers because thefts happen. It's Oakland after all.

Should he pass, his mail box is going to be inundated with dozens of solicitations from realtors all over California to join their team. But signing up with a firm is even more arduous than preparing for and taking the test! The initial sign up fees with them right away are cost prohibitive. Like hundreds to thousands of dollars prohibitive. Getting MLS access, buying the wardrobe to achieve the "professional look", Staples runs to print stationary and other forms, paying for shitty buggy software... those minor business expenses add up quickly all before he even makes his first successful deal. He's also going to start at the bottom of the totem pole, everyone in the firm will treat him like a peon and view him as a potential rival out to cut him/her out of their game. If he is lucky enough to find a mentor however, his chances of surviving will increase exponentially. Attractive Asian women seem to have an uncanny ability to easily get mentored in this industry while for guys, it's next to impossible.

This industry is merciless and isn't for the faint of heart. Even though I was taught in classes to have the highest of ethics and be an honest "agent" for my client... Even though 50% of the questions for the license is about ethics and ethic violations... in the real world of this business, everyone who is good at this game is a lying piece of shit. The management will do everything and anything in their power to make money, and will instruct their employees accordingly. They embezzle, lie, cheat, scam, misinform both buyers and sellers and the best ones do it in a way to finagle their way out of legal trouble even when they get caught.

Needless to say, I didn't have what it takes to survive in this industry and didn't last long. Nevertheless, I did learn a lot of valuable information and this certainly helps in the long run- especially when it comes to buying property and renting it. If I had to do it over again, I still would because the experience was certainly enlightening and taught me a lot about my personal character. I'd like to say I'm now wiser when dealing with realtors since I know their bullshiting tactics and tricks.

If your brother is really sociable with high charisma, I advise to encourage your brother to do it. But if he has very high ethical standards, he won't last very long.

Sorry for this long winded reply. :-P
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #19
Reli
Veteran
 
Reli's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: land of milfs and range rovers (danville)
Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Yep, being sociable, likeable, and attractive is the #1 predicter of success in that field. Consider that potential buyers and sellers are judging you by your looks on your marketing materials before they even meet you. And for whatever reason, people seem to correlate attractiveness with competence.
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Yep, being sociable, likeable, and attractive is the #1 predicter of success in that field. Consider that potential buyers and sellers are judging you by your looks on your marketing materials before they even meet you. And for whatever reason, people seem to correlate attractiveness with competence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Yep, being sociable, likeable, and attractive is the #1 predicter of success in that field. Consider that potential buyers and sellers are judging you by your looks on your marketing materials before they even meet you. And for whatever reason, people seem to correlate attractiveness with competence.
Flirting and stroking the ego of the client is 100% crucial to closing the deal. Agents will use psychological manipulation and play on your biases and fears even though many of these tactics are illegal. If her/his playful banter and compliments goes into overdrive, it's because the agent is definitely hiding something really awful about the property and wants short circuit your critical thinking. Female Asians are pros at this which is why you see many of them so successful in this line of work.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #21
DTM74
It's not my fault...
 
DTM74's Avatar
 
Contributor +++++++++1%
Roadside Angel Contributor

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 707
Motorcycles: Seven-Oh-One
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Yep, being sociable, likeable, and attractive is the #1 predicter of success in that field. Consider that potential buyers and sellers are judging you by your looks on your marketing materials before they even meet you. And for whatever reason, people seem to correlate attractiveness with competence.
My wife always had her RE license and never really did anything with it. She finally jumped in and acted as her friend's realtor when her friend bought a new house/property. Subsequently, she was picked up by a local country property group. A couple from Berkeley tapped her shoulder (and not the hot shot realtor in the group) to act as their realtor because in her bio my wife said we have rescue animals. So you never know.
DTM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Interested in this thread. I've been considering going into RE as a second career after retirement from LE.
Given your background in LE, if you went undercover in RE, you could totally kick ass and take down a myriad of egregious brokers. Whether it's red lining, co-mingling, embezzling, lying under oath, forgery, bribery, and a bunch of other white-collar crime- you'll have no trouble getting evidence to put these wolves-in-sheep clothing behind bars. Why CalBRE doesn't do shit to stop the standard criminal practices of the people in this industry has always baffeled me.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #23
295566
Five Apples
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by renxianqiclone View Post
Given your background in LE, if you went undercover in RE, you could totally kick ass and take down a myriad of egregious brokers. Whether it's red lining, co-mingling, embezzling, lying under oath, forgery, bribery, and a bunch of other white-collar crime- you'll have no trouble getting evidence to put these wolves-in-sheep clothing behind bars. Why CalBRE doesn't do shit to stop the standard criminal practices of the people in this industry has always baffeled me.
$$$
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
My wife always had her RE license and never really did anything with it. She finally jumped in and acted as her friend's realtor when her friend bought a new house/property. Subsequently, she was picked up by a local country property group. A couple from Berkeley tapped her shoulder (and not the hot shot realtor in the group) to act as their realtor because in her bio my wife said we have rescue animals. So you never know.
Your wife is a rare gem and an outlier. That firm was probably pissed that she took business in Berkeley away from them and wanted her to join instead of being their competition. They also get to bleed her $ for signup fees and get 1-2% of her commission for any sales she makes. This business isn't for compassionate people in the long run. I'm sure by now she's been pressured to compromise her morals by her superiors on various occasions.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #25
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun
 
HappyHighwayman's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
I really wonder why more people want to get into real estate. Like how can you compete with people with tons more experience in a field with too many people?

It's the same people who go to law school not realizing there are no law jobs.
__________________
The Happy Highwayman

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #26
Reli
Veteran
 
Reli's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: land of milfs and range rovers (danville)
Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
My wife always had her RE license and never really did anything with it. She finally jumped in and acted as her friend's realtor when her friend bought a new house/property. Subsequently, she was picked up by a local country property group. A couple from Berkeley tapped her shoulder (and not the hot shot realtor in the group) to act as their realtor because in her bio my wife said we have rescue animals. So you never know.
That's another thing......Compassionate hobbies & volunteering help.

It also helps to portray yourself as a great family person with nice kids and "roots in the community", so that people feel obligated to choose you instead of some single guy who isn't as rooted in the community and doesn't need the money as much as a family allegedly does.

Last edited by Reli; 01-17-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB0tt View Post
Aren't we about to hit another crash? Is this a good time to be getting into real estate?

I had a close friend completely lose everything as an agent during the last crash and she was doing well beforehand.
Was your "friend" one of those irresponsible assholes that helped idiots get NINJA loans back in 2004-2008? A NINJA loan is the industry's jargon for a loan with "no income, no job and no assets. These bad sub-prime loans served as the foundation for the CDO pyramid scheme that came crashing down in 2008 that collectively fucked all of us.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #28
asdfghwy
Veteran
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: south bay
Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renxianqiclone View Post
Salam Al Le Kum!

I went through this disillusioning route before so here's my insights:

Since my career in education wasn't making enough money, I ventured into real estate. A colleague at work was also teaching Real Estate courses and I audited a few of them. She gave me copies of the textbooks and lots of practice tests which I feel are the most important part for anyone passing the test. Before taking the licencing test, your brother will need to have completed a certain amount of courses and/or lectures. Having done that, he will then need to register online to take the dreaded test in Oakland.

I sampled a few of my fellow classmates in the real estate classes (sample size <20) and here's an unscientific correlation I found- If your brother was a straight A student back in high school, the licencing test is pretty easy to study for and pass on his first try. If he was an A-B student, he might have to try 2-3 times before passing because the trick questions will keep him second guessing, especially the ones asking about ethics. Memorizing specific dates for paying property taxes and specific laws about discrimarion is imperative. If he was a C average student, he'll probably eventually pass by the 5th or 6th attempt.

The test is still being held in Oakland and parking there is a PITA. Tell him to bring his own lunch because the food at the cafeteria sucks. Travel lightly because the test proctors won't let him take anything with him into the testing room. Personal lockers will be provided but they are tiny and don't put anything valuable in those lockers because thefts happen. It's Oakland after all.

Should he pass, his mail box is going to be inundated with dozens of solicitations from realtors all over California to join their team. But signing up with a firm is even more arduous than preparing for and taking the test! The initial sign up fees with them right away are cost prohibitive. Like hundreds to thousands of dollars prohibitive. Getting MLS access, buying the wardrobe to achieve the "professional look", Staples runs to print stationary and other forms, paying for shitty buggy software... those minor business expenses add up quickly all before he even makes his first successful deal. He's also going to start at the bottom of the totem pole, everyone in the firm will treat him like a peon and view him as a potential rival out to cut him/her out of their game. If he is lucky enough to find a mentor however, his chances of surviving will increase exponentially. Attractive Asian women seem to have an uncanny ability to easily get mentored in this industry while for guys, it's next to impossible.

This industry is merciless and isn't for the faint of heart. Even though I was taught in classes to have the highest of ethics and be an honest "agent" for my client... Even though 50% of the questions for the license is about ethics and ethic violations... in the real world of this business, everyone who is good at this game is a lying piece of shit. The management will do everything and anything in their power to make money, and will instruct their employees accordingly. They embezzle, lie, cheat, scam, misinform both buyers and sellers and the best ones do it in a way to finagle their way out of legal trouble even when they get caught.

Needless to say, I didn't have what it takes to survive in this industry and didn't last long. Nevertheless, I did learn a lot of valuable information and this certainly helps in the long run- especially when it comes to buying property and renting it. If I had to do it over again, I still would because the experience was certainly enlightening and taught me a lot about my personal character. I'd like to say I'm now wiser when dealing with realtors since I know their bullshiting tactics and tricks.

If your brother is really sociable with high charisma, I advise to encourage your brother to do it. But if he has very high ethical standards, he won't last very long.

Sorry for this long winded reply. :-P
I appreciate the long-winded response. He was a good student when he tried, and I'm willing to help him study and test him. He's a busybody and can't sit in one place for more than 30 seconds. He enjoys running around all the time so I think hes got the personality and mindset of grinding/showing homes. I didn't think about all the other fees and stuff once he's ready--but I'm more than willing to pay for everything. He can pay me back when he sells his first home -- kidding -- if he gets to the point where he's actually selling homes than my my job is done and my investment paid off. There's a bunch of stupid shit I can spend my money on, but helping my little brother start a career isn't one one of them. If he pursues another form of income then that's fine, at least I can relax a bit knowing he has a potential avenue of income regardless.
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #29
295566
Five Apples
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
I really wonder why more people want to get into real estate. Like how can you compete with people with tons more experience in a field with too many people?

It's the same people who go to law school not realizing there are no law jobs.
I (partially) blame all the stupid house flipping and real estate shows on "reality" TV showing how "easy" it is to make $60k in a few weeks with minimal effort. Oblivious and/or gullible people think it's easy money. Hey, Trump University monopolized on that very group of people, promising huge returns, and using predatory methods to squeeze every cent they could out of them.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #30
renxianqiclone
Veteran
 
renxianqiclone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
i did it online, i think it was a 60% fail rate when I took the test

not hard, i would say 50% common sense, 25% applicable real estate 25% admin stuff and weird real estate rules/loops like a african american with a real estate license cannot be a "Realtor" he can join the Realtor organization but he would be called a "Realtist"

Alot of weird racial things that expose their heads.

Also this is what you put in is what you will get out, less then 5% will succeed @ this. Lots of times you will have 0 income for a few months to handling multiple escrows in 1 month. Its not for the faint of heart. You will try so hard show 50 homes and the client wifes girlfriend will say something and ruin all the hard work you put in for last 2 months.
So much of this! Makes you want to pull hair out, yours and theirs!
Not to mention all those times when the wife/girlfriend/mistress suddenly has a change of heart and sees a new attractive listing on her cellphone right when he's about to sign or hand in the escrow check. You have to mask your negative emotions really well and stay smiling through the whole ordeal.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.