Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
ttsang91
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 1290 SDR 2005 WR450F SM
Name: Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
the 390/401 is cheap and maintenance isn't too bad on it

I already have supermotos, but a 6 speed EFI bike with low maintenance would be nicemust not have looked very hard
Seriously, I always try to shift to 6th on my WR and I'm about to gear it even lower.
6 Speed EFI would be amazing... Too bad Suzuki doesn't want to update the DRZ. Imagine aluminum frame, efi and 6 speed. Damn bike needs an update

But yeah, I agree. There are plenty of good deals out there on sumos. Just gotta keep looking. DRZ owners love keeping the asking price right around 4-6k though, regardless of year.
ttsang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Triumph 765 RS
Name:
I think my issue with searching for sumos on Craigslist is the search terms I’m using.

Super Moto or sumos or sm net next to nothing.

I’ve searched by specific models like crf450 but get mostly dirt bikes vs converted bikes already.

Any recos on search terms? Models?

A bit of a drawback is I’d like to get to clients occasionally and not take my street triple - requires me commuting from east bay to the peninsula. It’s not a big deal if I had to use my 765 for it but for a second bike would be good to have some highway capability.

Last edited by Moto Beck; 01-17-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
Quote:
it's too bad they don't do a 390/401 SM

Buy my take offs you FOOLS!
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=531628
R3DS!X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsang91 View Post
Seriously, I always try to shift to 6th on my WR and I'm about to gear it even lower.
6 Speed EFI would be amazing... Too bad Suzuki doesn't want to update the DRZ. Imagine aluminum frame, efi and 6 speed. Damn bike needs an update

But yeah, I agree. There are plenty of good deals out there on sumos. Just gotta keep looking. DRZ owners love keeping the asking price right around 4-6k though, regardless of year.
steel frames can be done well (see KTM) but 6 speed and EFI are important

if there was a 390/401 SM, it'd almost certainly be steel frame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
I think my issue with searching for sumos on Craigslist is the search terms Iím using.

Iíve searched by specific models like crf450 but get mostly dirt bikes vs converted bikes already.

A bit of a drawback is Iíd like to get to clients occasionally and not take my street triple - requires me commuting from east bay to the peninsula. Itís not a big deal if I had to use my 765 for it but for a second bike would be good to have some highway capability.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...permoto%7Csumo is my search (and I search titles only as well - the normal search doesn't, for some reason)
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
ttsang91
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 1290 SDR 2005 WR450F SM
Name: Tyler
Quote:
I think my issue with searching for sumos on Craigslist is the search terms Iím using.

Iíve searched by specific models like crf450 but get mostly dirt bikes vs converted bikes already.

A bit of a drawback is Iíd like to get to clients occasionally and not take my street triple - requires me commuting from east bay to the peninsula. Itís not a big deal if I had to use my 765 for it but for a second bike would be good to have some highway capability.
I usually get best results if I type supermoto (one word) or if I know the specific model I'm looking for.
I really enjoy my plated wr450.
I've had 2 DRZs that were plenty of fun around town and canyons, they're just a little heavy.

None of them will be that great on the highway unless you get a bigger one like a 690SMC or the new Husky 701. I would just take the street triple if I were you
ttsang91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Triumph 765 RS
Name:
Quote:
steel frames can be done well (see KTM) but 6 speed and EFI are important

if there was a 390/401 SM, it'd almost certainly be steel framehttps://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...permoto%7Csumo is my search (and I search titles only as well - the normal search doesn't, for some reason)
Thanks that’s helpful. I’ve seen a lot of these bikes in other searches - they fit the price range but damn - I don’t get why bikes that are more than 10-15 years old are going for $5k+ I’ll admit though that I don’t know the cost it takes to convert to sumo. Assumed just tires and wheels ($1-$1.5k) but could be totally off.

I noticed thruxtons are priced super high over kbb too. Sumos are harder to benchmark.

Wr450f brand new costs $9300
There’s a 2008 sumo of the same bike with 11,000 miles for sale on CL for $7000

What am I missing?

Last edited by Moto Beck; 01-17-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #22
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Thanks thatís helpful. Iíve seen a lot of these bikes in other searches - they fit the price range but damn - I donít get why bikes that are more than 10-15 years old are going for $5k+ Iíll admit though that I donít know the cost it takes to convert to sumo. Assumed just tires and wheels ($1-$1.5k) but could be totally off.

I noticed thruxtons are priced super high over kbb too. Sumos are harder to benchmark.

Wr450f brand new costs $9300
Thereís a 2008 sumo of the same bike with 11,000 miles for sale on CL for $7000

What am I missing?
that's more than I spent for my 14 WR

it's somewhat challenging to get a plate for a WR in CA, so with a plate it's worth more
Old 01-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

and to do it right... wheels, tires, brakes (at a minimum a 320 and adapter but preferably a 4pot and better master), suspension (respring/revalve)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #24
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
On the Moto Guzzi side of things, the suspension is pretty basic ... meaning, bad. They are wonderful on smooth-ish backroads, but sounds you are going to be riding pothole city streets a lot?

There are options ... guys put on different shocks and there are a few different fork mods/kits available ... but the rear wheel travel is ~3" so not a lot you can do with that.

I really enjoy my V7 III (I got the Racer), but it really is a mellow ride ... like buying an older vintage bike but it is new with better brakes.

The new dealer in San Jose (Spirit) should be able to allow a test ride.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote