Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
Question Best Gloves & Boots for the WET?

Well, I got the Aerostich (*man* that thing is hard to clean!). Haven't even worn it on the road yet because it's so damn wet out... and all my gear is perforated! No sense in going out and freezing my feet or hands. I'm in the market for wet and cold(er) weather boots and gloves. If they're insulated then that's probably fine. I don't think it'll be raining and warm - at least here in California.

For reference on gear I normally wear, Dainese D1 Racing Jacket, Dainese delta pro evo c2 (what a name), Held Titan gloves, and Sidi Vortice Air boots. They're all pretty much as good as it gets for protection and I'd like to keep it close to that. So, knowing that, and that it needs to be wet+cold resistant... Any thoughts on gear? I'm preferential to Held or Racer gloves as they seem to be more accommodating to those who have longer fingers. Sidi boots also seem to be okay with me since I am more narrow footed than most. (9C) But, I am *completely* open to brands.

Oh and I should mention that I *really* would like the boots to be very easy to get on and off. The Vortice are absolutely nightmarish to get on and off.

Last edited by bradlys; 01-17-2019 at 04:48 PM..
bradlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Crispietogu
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV650
Name:
During winter commutes I wear aerostitch daran pants with dainese adventure jacket. I have heated jacket . Boots I recently bought sidi black rain boots for cheap since it was on close out. They been water proof so far. I wear tourmaster heated gloves battery operated and they been water proof too

Last edited by Crispietogu; 01-17-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Crispietogu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
bradlys
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispietogu View Post
During winter commutes I wear aerostitch daran pants with dainese adventure jacket. I have heated jacket . Boots I recently bought sidi black rain boots for cheap since it was on close out. They been water proof so far. I wear your master heated gloves battery operated and they been water proof too
How much were the boots when you got them? They seem to be going for $174 right now on Revzilla - not much of a discount from the MSRP.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Crispietogu
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlys View Post
How much were the boots when you got them? They seem to be going for $174 right now on Revzilla - not much of a discount from the MSRP.
They were 155 with the sidi discount promotion
Crispietogu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Quote:
all my gear is perforated! No sense in going out and freezing my feet or hands. I'm in the market for wet and cold(er) weather boots and gloves. If they're insulated then that's probably fine. I don't think it'll be raining and warm - at least here in California.
One inexpensive $30 option is to try some Frogg Toggs gear over the top of your other gear.

The Toggs offer zero heat/cold insulation but when used as a waterproof/windproof outer layer they should help keep some of the heat inside.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Get these and the boots won't matter as much
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...rch_asin_title

Yeah it's good to have waterproof boots as well. But it's pretty common for them to develop leaks over time, if they were even fully waterproof in the 1st place.

Quote:
I'm preferential to Held or Racer gloves as they seem to be more accommodating to those who have longer fingers.
My experience with those brands has been with waterproof gloves, and that was only true of Held. Racer fingers were a little too short for me. Fit is likely different for their gloves with a waterproof or insulation lining vs sport gloves.

My current glove for the wet is the BMW 2 in 1 (OEM from Held). Two hand compartments, one waterproof, one not.

They're wearing out though and I'm thinking about my next glove. Interested in a similar but warmer glove, like the Held Twin. If Scuderia or someone local carries 'em anyway. I don't want to buy gloves online.

I prefer a thumb face shield wiper like on Tourmaster & Warm n Safe, to a finger wiper like Held uses. But I have slip on wipers I can use if I don't like the built in one.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
For gloves, I'd just wear your normal gloves and put some of the Aerostich covers over them: https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/g...it-covers.html

They make a short-gauntlet version as well if you're a jacket-over-gloves type.
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Any lightly insulated water-proof glove will work. I have a cheap pair from Olympia and a more expensive pair from Rev'it. The Rev'it gloves have more protection but in terms of comfort they're about the same. For boots, wear Dainese's TRQ Tour boots no matter what season it is.
fubar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
bradlys
Rookie

Name:
Ordered the Sidi Black Rain boots. Found them for $130.

I thought of shelling out more to get some high end gore-text stuff but they're going to be used for 30 minute rides at most. No point. They get on quick and off. So, they'll be plenty fine. Woot.

I'll keep searching for gloves.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #10
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati ST4
Name:
Boots: Alpinestars Toucan. Super protective and GoreTex so they stay dry.

Gloves: Held Cold Champ GoreTex

And Aerostich R3. With that setup you really don’t care if it rains or not.
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #11
a1scoot
Hardcore

AMA Life Member #595906

Motorcycles: Have hurt me
Name: Al
Have had great luck with the frogg Toggs......
Easy to throw on like jammies over your gear and they do the job.
For gloves I use a pair of FLY gloves that I bought from Santa Clara Cycles.
Rode a lap around the USA in May weather and never got wet.
Oh.....and a pair of Dainese boots that keeps the feet dry.
a1scoot
"Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up,totally worn out,and loudly proclaim:WOW....WHAT A RIDE!"
a1scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
NeverSayDie
Veteran

Motorcycles: One Big Yam
Name:
Let it be known that Dainese D-Dry products are not always waterproof. Heck all my rain gear is not really waterproof despite the claims.
NeverSayDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayDie View Post
Let it be known that Dainese D-Dry products are not always waterproof. Heck all my rain gear is not really waterproof despite the claims.
I've found that many gear manufacturers have a much different definition of "waterproof" than I do.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
NeverSayDie
Veteran

Motorcycles: One Big Yam
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFalafal View Post
I've found that many gear manufacturers have a much different definition of "waterproof" than I do.
Sorta like Harley's definition of "reliable"
NeverSayDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #15
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSayDie View Post
Sorta like Harley's definition of "reliable"
At least Ducati and BMW don't even make a pretense of this