Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Finesse77
Novice

Motorcycles: Yamaha R6
Name:
2006 yz450f

So i acquired got a 2006 YZ450. It starts up fine but it only runs when the choke is on. When i turn off the choke, the bike dies. Does this mean that carburetor needs cleaning? And it back fires also.
Thoughts?
I havenít mess around with it yet due to work schedule.
Any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Finesse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards (03 for sale),YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
the most likely scenario is a dirty pilot jet
Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Totally, totally, totally this^^^^^^^^

Luck is the residue of desire.

Rich Cox
Nicky

I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Finesse77
Novice

Name:
Thanks guys for the info. I’ll look into it.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
That's what my WR450F does when the pilot jet gets dirty. I drain the float bowl after every ride now.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
That's what my WR450F does when the pilot jet gets dirty. I drain the float bowl after every ride now.
It could very easily need more than that.
I suspect *white death* due to ethanol in the fuel.
You may need to tear it down and clean the hell out of it.
Still an easy job.

Rich Cox
Nicky

I miss you Rich.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Oh for sure it needed a carb cleaning when it acted up. But I try to prevent that now by draining the bowl.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Rich Cox
Nicky

I miss you Rich.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
Finesse77
Novice

Name:
Decided to clean the carb myself. But how can you determine if the carb needs a rebuild or just clean?
So far so itís going ok. I just need to get the carburetor out. Iíve done some research and most them say i need to take out the spring for easy access of the carb.
Now that itís open, should i check the valve clearance as well? I know i might as well replace the spark plugs.
Any pro tips? Also, i wanna replace the tires. Whatís a good tire for track riding and hill climb?
Hoping to get this running good before red season starts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D6A651B-FDF8-46A1-AAC0-6C491E4D181C.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	512849  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Checking valve clearance is pretty easy. Changing clearance will be more difficult.

Just clean the carb unless it's leaking, the float needle is worn, something like like that. Maybe if it's impossible to jet correctly. I heard these things wear out nozzles (needle jets).

My pro tip is to get an hour meter.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
As already mentioned, its a lean condition that is the cause of the symptoms. Most likely a gummed up dirty carb and pilot. It could be other things, but thats where I'd start.

Any new to me used thumper gets the carb pulled and cleaned. Make note of the jets, needle, and position. Not everyone is capable of jetting... and some previous owners have gotten them thoroughly wrong. So dont assume its jetted correctly. If after you have cleaned the carb, believe the jetting is right, and the problem persists then you need to look for an air leak.

Check the valves. Keep notes if they have moved. Button up and do a compression and leakdown test on it. Dont be aftraid to pull head and jug to inspect further. Again, take notes and keep. Add hour meter.

If you dont know the history and hours on the head, crank, or piston, its worth spending the few extra dollars on gaskets to inspect them. I always keep some with my spares.

Get use to doing these tasks on a regular basis (valve check/compression/leakdown). Even if everything checks out now, you will have a benchmark to watch if anything changes. Be it the valves moving, your compression or leakdown figures dropping.... you will be able maintain and fix before an expensive failure.

Thats my pro tip. Its cheaper to maintain one of these motors than to repair after a failure.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-11-2018 at 07:34 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
Finesse77
Novice

Name:
Thank you all for tip and opinions. I pulled out the carb and cleaned it.
Next will be to check the valve clearance. I just found out the bike came with a hour meter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3DB917E2-C79B-41DA-853E-53E353EB4A44.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	512874  
Old 09-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
DONGLEE
Senor Stew Padasso

Motorcycles: Italian on the road and Japanese in the dirt
Name: Donny
As said before, keep notes with hour meter readings and Normally you can just unbolt the top of the shock and it swings back far enough to maneuver the carb. I have an 06í KX 450 and I believe theyíre almost identical to the Yamaha. If you do need to adjust the valves I may have shims
Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Finesse77
Novice

Name:
So i finally got the chance yesterday to pulled out the carburetor. And my mistake was only to cleaned the bottom part of the carburetor. I looked at the top and said nah, it looks clean. So i just cleaned and bottom part and put everything back. And the same thing happened. Bike only ran when choke is on. And back fire. I almost gave up. But i took the carb again and this time i cleaned from top to bottom. And i think i found the problem. See pics... The O ring is broken in half. So maybe thatís the culprit. I will try to go to yamaha dealer tomorrow, hopefully they carry this in stock.
Also, i am putting new pilot jet and main jet. 168 main and 45 pilot.
What you guys think about this jetting. Will be riding mostly in Carneige and metcalf for now. And maybe Hollister.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9A6D7424-79ED-4A6B-8732-CC9260BF823D.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	512949  
Old 09-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #15
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse77 View Post
So i finally got the chance yesterday to pulled out the carburetor. And my mistake was only to cleaned the bottom part of the carburetor. I looked at the top and said nah, it looks clean. So i just cleaned and bottom part and put everything back. And the same thing happened. Bike only ran when choke is on. And back fire. I almost gave up. But i took the carb again and this time i cleaned from top to bottom. And i think i found the problem. See pics... The O ring is broken in half. So maybe thatís the culprit. I will try to go to yamaha dealer tomorrow, hopefully they carry this in stock.
Also, i am putting new pilot jet and main jet. 168 main and 45 pilot.
What you guys think about this jetting. Will be riding mostly in Carneige and metcalf for now. And maybe Hollister.
Thanks
I cant speak to what your bikes correct jetting is. If its withing a few sizes of stock it should at least run (and that seems to the case). Replace your worn/damaged parts, check to make sure your float level is right, not too low. Also make sure your fuel screw/passage is clean and not turned all the way in. Most bikes are somewhere between 2-3 turns out. Take your time to ensure all passages of the carb are clean and tubes are obstruction free. Also, assume you are starting the bike with your filter on and oiled (will run slightly lean without).

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote