Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
revnort
Tasty Pants

AMA#: 1108597
Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: F800GS, Dr. Zoidberg
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIglesias View Post
cool. just tell me where to be and at what time. that's all i need.
Um, did you read the post you quoted?

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
revnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
HIglesias
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 R6 '99 R1100S 99'KDX200
Name: Henry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revnort View Post
Um, did you read the post you quoted?
what are you talking about? I didn't quote anything. must be my doppelganger

oh yea, think we'll make it back by 5pm? i wanna take Frances to jackson arms to shoot some guns. (the newbie class)

Last edited by HIglesias; 04-06-2012 at 10:29 AM..
HIglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #33
GoNotShow
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2012 Super Tenere
Name: Adam
Quote:
Henry, it looks like you, Kevin, Kyle and I. Maybe more from the thread?

If anybody wants to slab it over to Fairfield we are meeting at the Chevron on 9th and Howard - 7:45 and KSU before 8:00.
I'm leaving from SF as well, so I'll swing by and meet up with you guys at the Chevron...
GoNotShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #34
Iceman9r
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati Cagiva Elefant
Name: Kurt J
Looks like I'm in. I'll be with the group from Sac ADV riders (SCR).

We have all rode this area so there wont be any problems.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Motorcycles: -
Name: Doc
Iceman9r on a Cagiva Elefant, GoNotShow on a 2012 Super Tenere 1200, HIglesias on a Steamer Tiger, and four or more KTM Adventures!

Exotics...Impressive!

All y'all owe me... payback is posting vids, pics, opinions on this thread... the ride isn't done after sunset.

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-06-2012 at 05:53 PM..
seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
I'm leaving from the inner Richmond. Heading over the GG bridge to the meeting point at hwy121 and hwy128.
Don't make much sense to head over to the east bay from where I'm at. Let me know if anyone wants to head out together.
Cabrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNotShow View Post
I'm leaving from SF as well, so I'll swing by and meet up with you guys at the Chevron...
Cool. See you then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
I'm leaving from the inner Richmond. Heading over the GG bridge to the meeting point at hwy121 and hwy128.
Don't make much sense to head over to the east bay from where I'm at. Let me know if anyone wants to head out together.
I thought about going that route and meeting at Poseurs. I figured I'd just slab it and come back the GG route. I know Henry is in your neck of the woods though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post
the ride isn't done after sunset.
Actually what time have you guys been finishing up?

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Quote:
Actually what time have you guys been finishing up?
Usually back at start point by 2:30PM if noone settles in for a romantic 2-hour lunch...

Anyone in a rush? Just break away at any of the checkpoints, so hypothetically you'll be done at 9AM if you bail at the Startpoint; 10:30AM if you make CP1 and back (all slab); 12:30 if you make CP2 and back (all slab); 1:30 at CP3 and back, etc.

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-06-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post
Usually back at start point by 2:30PM if noone settles in for a romantic 2-hour lunch...

Anyone in a rush? Just break away at any of the checkpoints, so hypothetically you'll be done at 9AM if you bail at the Startpoint; 10:30AM if you make CP1 and back (all slab); 12:30 if you make CP2 and back; 1:30 at CP3 and back, etc.
Oh that's early. I may go explore some more.

I just wanted to know so I can figure out which helmet setup I need. My DS helmet has a tinted visor that cannot easily be switched. I wouldn't want to bring that one if I was riding home after dark. Sounds like it is not a problem though

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #40
luckett
The Green Bastard

Motorcycles: CBR600F3
Name: Bubbles
This ride is shaping up to have the potential to be a Grade A Clusterfuck©. But yet, I'm perversely drawn to it like an offer of free admission to a midget muy thai match.

Quote:
I'd be inclined to cross the GGB and head straight to the knoxville ohv area to keep the clusterfuckage to a minimum. 8am depart from the GGB north vista?

Maybe something like this route
If You don't know diddly about how it is safer to have your front wheel up at least a tiny distance off the pavement, while turning, so there is no risk of losing traction, there, where there is no traction to lose, And you are turning with the rear wheel...Then by all means, go slow enough so Your risky behavour, doesn't get overwhelmed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by louemc View Post
literally turning on a dime, is often best done on One wheel.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #41
Iceman9r
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati Cagiva Elefant
Name: Kurt J
"This ride is shaping up to have the potential to be a Grade A Clusterfuck©. But yet, I'm perversely drawn to it like an offer of free admission to a midget muy thai match."

If you feel there is a problem we can ride on our own.....we where coming out there anyway.

Last edited by Iceman9r; 04-06-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Iceman9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
luckett
The Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman9r View Post
If you feel there is a problem we can ride on our own.....we where coming out there anyway.
Chill hombre. You can do whatever you want to do. I'm not suggesting that anyone is not welcome and needs to do their own ride. I'm saying that it looks like there is going to be a big turnout and traveling in smaller groups will serve to create less problems with the ride. My preference is to ride with a smaller group to a farther meet point.
If You don't know diddly about how it is safer to have your front wheel up at least a tiny distance off the pavement, while turning, so there is no risk of losing traction, there, where there is no traction to lose, And you are turning with the rear wheel...Then by all means, go slow enough so Your risky behavour, doesn't get overwhelmed...
Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
I'd be inclined to cross the GGB and head straight to the knoxville ohv area to keep the clusterfuckage to a minimum. 8am depart from the GGB north vista?

Maybe something like this route
Could do.

I'm sort of inclined to stick with the group since I've never met anyone, and don't know others riding styles. Plus it's so fun to watch the clusterfuck in action. Ever been on a doc Wong ride? No insult intended to Doc. I enjoy the doc Wong rides immensely.

What kind of bike do you ride? I’m on a KLR650 which means I don’t go so fast on the freeway usually 70-75 cruising speed otherwise I start burning even more oil…

I like the look of your route though.
I'm gonna send you a PM with my phone.
Cabrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett View Post
Chill hombre. You can do whatever you want to do. I'm not suggesting that anyone is not welcome and needs to do their own ride. I'm saying that it looks like there is going to be a big turnout and traveling in smaller groups will serve to create less problems with the ride. My preference is to ride with a smaller group to a farther meet point.
Chris,

On fairweather days, we often have over 30 riders show, but it never gets crowded.

We usually break up in groups of 3-5 riders based on type bikes (plated dirt bikes, thumpers, uberbeasts, 17" street tires, etc.) and rider skill. We then leave (in small groups), a la ISDT in 1 minute intervals. The thumpers usually lead on the slab with the uberbeasts catching up... reverse after CP2. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3292

It's pretty laid back as everyone rides their pace and often do different tracks once up in Knoxville OHV: ADVs pretty much stick to the route. Dirt purist find the single tracks and get lost somewhere trying cross west to Napa. Inexperienced do a bit of dirt (CP2 to CP3) then head up to Lower Lake to strafe CA-29 back down.

Only courtesy is to help downed riders pick up their bikes; and keep a decent distance interval on 'technical sections' so you don't ram into someone else that bogs down or stops.

I bring up the rear with tools/tow strap/air/medical/radios/GPS, etc. No liability waivers signed on this ride... you're on your own (insurance).

No worries... I know what you meant...

Stiffler and Blue-8 will be on their DR650s

See you tomorrow.

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-06-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
luckett
The Green Bastard

Quote:
I'm sort of inclined to stick with the group since I've never met anyone, and don't know others riding styles. Plus it's so fun to watch the clusterfuck in action. Ever been on a doc Wong ride? No insult intended to Doc. I enjoy the doc Wong rides immensely.
I want to ride and chat with the group also, but rolling out on fast paved twisties with a shuffled group of 30ish riders with unknown skills and a diverse mix of bikes is not my idea of fun.

We could go by posers and you could wait for the rest of the group there.

Quote:
What kind of bike do you ride? I’m on a KLR650 which means I don’t go so fast on the freeway usually 70-75 cruising speed otherwise I start burning even more oil…
I'm on a DR650 so I'll be cruising at your speed.
Quote: