Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 02-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #196
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX
Name: Eric
Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	505004

Purissima in the distance

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	505005
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #197
Eric B
Know-it-none

This restaurant has good food. Scorpion Bay Cantina & campground

Name:	38.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	505006

Name:	39.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	505007

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	505008
Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #198
Eric B
Know-it-none

Next day, out of San Juanico. Taking the High Road to the road to El Patricino

Name:	41.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	505009

Name:	42.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	505010

Name:	43.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	505011
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #199
Eric B
Know-it-none

This road was a bit different. More rock, less sand. Reminded me of the Ridgecrest/Wagon Wheel area. Great fun.

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	505012

Name:	46.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	505013

Name:	47.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	505014

more later . . . .
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #200
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++2%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Great pictures Eric!
In 2015 we took a somewhat rocky road from San Javiar to Commundo. It was one of the most beautiful parts of that ride (to me.)
I didn't ask, were there any flats along your route? I think switching from the track masters to the Parkers really helped this year.

District 36

CORVA
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #201
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
San Ignacio to Mulege:

Diter and I decided to team up and take a leisurely day involving coffee, breakfast, pastries, and ice cream (channeling our inner HoHo ) as we meandered down from San Ignacio to Mulege.

Like all good plans it fell apart. Before we left we added 4 additional members to "Team Tourista."

First Cabrito's tire was fixed, new tube I believe. We then went closer into town to stop at the fancy Hotel La Huerta to check availability for the group's return in a few days.

We stopped again at the Pemex so that Cabrito could bring his tire pressure up and headed South towards Muege.

CJ leading, then Michael (Cabrito) me, Diter, Daniel, and Eric.
I saw the wobble and thought Michael was fiddling with his GPS, the bike steadied then a short time later the wobble returned. Watching in horror all while screaming "NO NO NO NO" in my helmet I watched the XR abruptly swing into the opposite lane then come back into its own lane and hit the solid rock roadside head on.

As always seems the case in Mexico, the locals were quick on hand to assist. A family traveling south loaded up our Cabrito and transported him north to the nearest ambulance station. Diter and I followed while CJ, Eric, and Daniel, stayed with the bike. Again help was almost immediate, a pickup stopped and transported the bike back to San Ignacio.

Thus begins Diter's exploration of Baja ambulance stations, clinics, and hospitals of Baja Sur. We are all awaiting the book signing.

With Michael headed off to Guerrero Negro with Diter following behind, our group of 6 is now 4.

We head south out of san Ignacio and I find I am still spooked by what I witnessed. Although the Beta has so much more to give I keep the speed down around 50-52 not sure how many spikes may be sticking in my tires from yesterday's off track exploits.

We finally get to the town of Santa Rosalie where we stop for well deserved ice cream.

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #202
Eric B
Know-it-none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
Great pictures Eric!
In 2015 we took a somewhat rocky road from San Javiar to Commundo. It was one of the most beautiful parts of that ride (to me.)
I didn't ask, were there any flats along your route? I think switching from the track masters to the Parkers really helped this year.
That road you speak of is one of my favorites as well. The road we took this year, to San Juanico, by way of Purissima, was similar terrain & scenery. No flats in that group.
For what it's worth - I ran an IRC TR-8. No flats, but that's probably blind luck.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #203
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
yay!!! We arrive in Mulege, anxious for word on Michael. Wayne and Nick are at the hospital in GN and we hope that Diter is on the road since night driving and riding in Baja is treacherous.

Eric has been having issues with the KLX starter, those freaking Japanese bikes jk time to go Italian Eric

Rest day is maintenance day and everyone seems to be doing a little something to their bikes.

Someone needs to tell Eric that crack kills.

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #204
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
Wayno finally arrives with Michael and we are all so relieved to see them.

I feel like I haven't seen my partner in a long time so we opt o spend the rest day together. W is still unable to ride so he will hang out at Santispac and fish while Diter and I get to do a few day rides around Mulege.

Some pics of my family.

The ultimate in YEP

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #205
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
With W camped at Santispac, I convince Diter that theslab to Loretto to take an amazing road up to an amazing place high in the mountains is so well worth it. We begin our trek to Mission San Javiar a miracle if there ever was one. I remember being stunned by the beauty of this place back in 2015 and am excited to share it with a friend.

As we travel south a solo man, sitting beside his bike up a side road catches in my peripheral vision as we pass. I stop and tell Diter I think something is wrong, I'm thinking the bike is a GS or KTM Adventure (not one of ours) because it seemed larger than our groups bikes.

As we approach we realize it's Windsor/ Wowens on his KTM 690. This is really wrong. We stop and talk to him and learn of a serious accident. Windsor is awaiting CJ whose bike is stashed in the bushes and has ridden cupcake behind Lance to retrieve the downed rider's bike.

We opt to stay with Windsor until CJ arrives, assured that there is nothing more we can do we beat feet to Loretto anxious to not lose time getting up that mountain.

We arrive in Loretto, top off our tanks and decide we should get more water. As we head back up the road we pass the hospital and are waved down by Scott and Derek. Diter speaks to the staff in Spanish gets the latest update and again with nothing more to offer we head up to the Mission with promises to stop back on or return.

This image is burned into my brain forever

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #206
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post

Someone needs to tell Eric that crack kills.

I'm pretty sure thats what Daniel is pointing at and smiling about!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #207
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
BARF Moderator
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
Hey, I've been in that hospital.

Ah, Baja memories.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #208
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
Diter and I he'd up to San Javiar with me leading at a moderate pace. Our first water crossing is uneventful (to me) but soon I notice there is no headlight behind me. I find a place to turn around on. the narrow road and find Diter involved in a father son chat with the Husky. For some reason it stalled goin through the water we don't know why but after a few minutes it starts right back up.

We switch places here with Diter leading and me behind. We probably cross at least another 8-9 "vatos" (water crossings) with no incident. We are coming up to the mission and I am so excited for Diter to see it ad to grab a quick lunch.

2km before the mission we hit the last of the water crossings. This one is TINY and I'm shocked to see Diter suddenly asphalt lugeing past it.

Before I can even consider it I tom on the ground watching the Beta slide up the road. I feel something pop when I hit the ground and when I try to stand up nothing happens. Diter gets me off the road, gets both bikes up, and we determine something bad happened.

A really wonderful couple puts me in their car and Diter somehow manages to get a pickup to bring my bike to the hospital in Loretto.

I make jokes as I enter through the ER doors that this is the only way we can get spot on info on our injured rider.

There is definitely a language barrier and the kind staff X-rays my hip which is fine and wraps my knee and releases me saying all is normal. It isn't but whatever it is we have a guy in there that needs their full attention

Scott and Derek are amazing. These guys get me to a hotel where I prop up my leg and enjoy the effects of whatever shot I was given at the hospital.

I remember watching Britteny Spears live in concert with Sapnish sub-titles

I can actually see one of the broken foot bones in this picture

The next morning Scott and Derek perform a little pre 400 mile slab ride maintenance on their bikes. These guys are wonderful and I feel fortunate that they are here.

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #209
ThumperX
Veteran

Name:
Wayno picks me up in Loretto and we sadly head up the coast towards BOLA. The van is filled with gear and no longer a usable camper but we take a stop to say "goodbye" to Bay of Conception.

I swear one of these years we will just park on this beach for a couple of weeks and just chill.

District 36

CORVA
Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #210
ThumperX
Veteran

Name: