Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #106
renxianqiclone
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
By the way, these words typically not derogatory, not even Big Nose. Also, you are mixing Cantonese and Mandarin. Cantonese is more rare (Hong Kong, Macau)
The 60 million speakers of Cantonese count as rare for you? Plus, if you visit any American or Canadian Chinatown, you'll hear more Cantonese than Mandarin. The first Chinese migrants to America spoke southern Chinese dialects particularly Toisan which is mutually intelligible with Cantonese.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #107
Killroy1999
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renxianqiclone View Post
The 60 million speakers of Cantonese count as rare for you? Plus, if you visit any American or Canadian Chinatown, you'll hear more Cantonese than Mandarin. The first Chinese migrants to America spoke southern Chinese dialects particularly Toisan which is mutually intelligible with Cantonese.
I did not know that about American or Canadian Chinatowns.

In 1.4 Billion China, yes, less common. Just be aware of your geography.
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #108
DReg350
Just Another Rider

AMA #3283440
Just Another Rider
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++GOPx2

Motorcycles: BMW F650GS
Name: Greg
Iíve worked for South Korean, Russian, and Chinese companies. I will never work for another Chinese managed company ever again. It was THE most racially discriminatory company I have ever worked for. YMMV.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #109
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 R1M
Name: Steve
I think what most in the West don't realize is that China is in no way homogeneous - there is no such thing as "The Chinese" in the sense that we would understand a label like "The Brits" or "The French".

China has 54 separate ethnic groups and hundreds of mutually unintelligible dialects split into 8 language groups. This is vastly more diverse than the EU.

Their history is one of vicious internal conflict - one that makes the centuries of European wars look like a cake walk. They have been in conflict with each other for millennia.

Ironically, outsiders have actually been a unifying influence - but not in a good way, well not a good way for the rest of us.

I'm not even starting on the effects of living under an extreme form of Stalinism for 40 years.

The bottom line - avoid buying or using any PRC built connected device - period.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

"Ding dong the witch is dead"
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #110
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
^ So what you are saying is we need to use social media to wedge those divisions as far apart as possible right?

You should always be looking for new ways to have fun.
I'm not a nostalgic guy. I'll talk about the past when someone asks, but I'm always looking at what's next for fun.
That's what has kept me pushing forward all these years. - Bob Mctavish
Mike95060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #111
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 02 F4i
Name: Brett
China is playing hardball now...

China sentences Canadian man to death in drug case linked to Huawei row
Quote:
EIJING - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday expressed "extreme concern" after a Chinese court sentenced a Canadian man to death in a retrial ordered not long after the arrest in Vancouver of a Chinese technology executive.

A death sentence for Canadian Robert Lloyd Schellenberg complicates an ongoing standoff over the arrest of Huawei Technologies' chief financial officer on U.S. charges and the subsequent detention in China of two Canadians on national security charges.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

The GOP slogan should be changed to Do As I Say, Not As I Do.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #112
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 R1M
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I suspect this is just the start. PRC is Trumpian in its inability to back down or be embarrassed in any way.

Worse, it is absolutely wedded to its data-mining/IP theft strategy to keep its products competitive as its local wages and other costs rise.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

"Ding dong the witch is dead"
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote