Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #16
iehawk
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: K1200R (found a new home), S1000RR
Name: Al
The first bike I rode with over 100 lb/ft torque was the 2009 K1300S, a 560-heavy bike and that thing can accelerate. With the TCS, I think the number is becoming more and more bragging right as we all know it won't all come down at once. Though instead of having to build it up with rev, in e-bikes, they come in a full bucket being poured down as much as needed and more as they get faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
The Panigale 1299 has 110+ lb/ft of torque, maybe a better comparison than a Honda S2000?

The Chevy Bolt E-Car makes 266 lb/ft of torque if you want to use a car for comparison.

The Panigale makes 205 HP btw.
If I'm not mistaken, an S2000 is still about 5+sec car, right? It's to give an idea... for other motorcycles, I don't think I need to quote the torque specs, most of you guys already know it.

Quote:
How many miles did you ride and what was the energy reading at the end of the ride?

Did you notice a different feel of the road compared to the vibes any bike usually makes through the bars?

Nice review
Thanks.

I didn't get to ride too far, commute traffic was building up already, so I rode around the block and between 2 exits on 101, enough to feel the bike going in slower speed, slow-speed turns, then a bit of accelerating and lean into onramp/offramp.

Barely any vibrations like inline-4 or twins (I ride an S1000RR). Smooth ride, love the sound. The speed build-up didn't sneak up that badly without the revving sound, the electric motor spooling up made up for it, though not as loud.

Wish I could remember the energy reading I 'spent', sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I owned one of the very first S2000 cars and nobody ever called that engine a torquey motor. It was all about high revving horsepower. Once the tach passed about 6500 rpms wonderful things happened all the way until the rev limiter kicked in at 9000. I always loved coming up on somebody doing about 55 mph, shoving it on down into second gear, then just blasting off around them.

How does it compare to a Hellcat?
I drove an S2000 earlier version before... nice surge toward the redline. I might need to sit in a Hellcat next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj View Post
Yes, but that's an extreme(ly ridiculous) number, and a brand new development. The fact is, 150 ft/lbs of torque in any motorcycle is an awful lot.

Further, in isolation, the torque numbers on these bikes at these levels are near-meaningless, as application of power and torque is heavily managed by software. The Altas are a perfect example of this—the bikes arguably already had more than was useful or useable.
What Surj said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
$25,000?
I was told more, but then another told me that's not true. Can I say it's less than $25K now? Honestly, I don't know, it's quite a huge ball park. Maybe with the incentives and all added. If curious, just call, ask, take advantage of the deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj View Post
They did have two facilities here in the area, their "Galleria" in SF (now closed) and their service center in Redwood City (still around). They're not new to the area, and Cal Moto now sells the bikes as well.

Mean Dad rode one and wrote about in CityBike when they did those quick rides at Alice's, and we did a more complete review (Frozenuts and JalopyShoppe) of their then-two model lineup in our November issue.
Now Calmoto is their dealer in Mountain View, not sure if the other two are still there. Cool, Surj, I'll have to read it to compare notes. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
U rode a GP bike, or at least as close as nearly all of us will get.
The accelerations were quite giddy moments, but I don't know, Stang... it's almost as heavy as a touring bike.

"There is always more traction than you think.", Kari Prager

www.lanesplittingislegal.com

Last edited by iehawk; 02-14-2018 at 03:13 AM..
iehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
haha man I rode my empulse on a little dirt hillclimb and all it wanted to do was spin the tires.

One thing I like about the Energicas is you can pretty much on the fly adjust the power and regen. The Empulse is stuck in 2 modes sport and eco. Sometimes like the feeling of just twisting the throttle wide open often =P
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
senpai71
Professional troublemaker

Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT
Name: Rory
Rode one in 2014

I rode one in 2014 - I found it really heavy. Personally I didn't like the whine from the engine - I like something a little more 'throaty'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-15 10.27.51.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	505102  
Old 02-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Yeah I didn't get to ride it on the freeway but I would imagine it might get annoying after awhile it makes a that high pitched supercharger like whine. I should make an electric bike motorcycle sound clips. I actually prefer the Zero bikes pretty much silence.

On another note since its really heavy having the reverse really helps =P
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
jmillington
Browser, Purchaser

AMA#: 1088946
Contributor

Motorcycles: '15 Ninja 1000, '09 XR1200, '06 GSX-R1000, '06 DR-Z400SM, '71 Norton 750 Commando
Name: Jim M
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
haha man I rode my empulse on a little dirt hillclimb and all it wanted to do was spin the tires.

One thing I like about the Energicas is you can pretty much on the fly adjust the power and regen. The Empulse is stuck in 2 modes sport and eco. Sometimes like the feeling of just twisting the throttle wide open often =P
And the Empulse TT only has a meager 61 ft-lbs of torque!
I have one too.
jmillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
canyonrat
Veteran Knee Dragger

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2007 GSXR750
Name: Mark
Interesting, good write up to everyone.

So I looked up the weight at 569 pounds and the range is 90 to 120 miles at an averaged speed of 50mph.

The Energica Ego45 is the 2016 luxury model.

Hear, "I am", send me an angel. As I ride, may an angel fly at my side!

"I sence much BEER in you", Yoda (American Jedi Master).

A friend gave me a book about the ills of drinking, so I stopped reading.
canyonrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #22
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '07 Bonneville '06 FJR1300
Name: Jim
Is that your....

My concern would be the inevitable jabs by people coming up and saying, oh it that motorcycle your "Ego"?

Or "How is your Ego now?" when you put up a shite lap time at the track.

Sorry, if I am laughing at my own jokes...
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote