Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
UKtech1
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Aprilia Shiver 900, WR250F, '06 GSXR750 track and a workshop full.
Name: Robert
After 35 years of riding 1000's of bikes and owning 100's I'm finally buying brand new!

Since I borrowed money from my Mum all those years ago to buy my first bike, a Suzuki TS50ER, I've always had used bikes. Most of the time it was because of lack of funds or too good of a deal to pass up.

Running Evolution I've had the opportunity to ride some amazing bikes but there's never been anything that ticked all the boxes. Usually I'd try to sort the issues but there was always something that wasn't quite right, either suspension or ergonomics or even just the looks.

That was until we became an Aprilia dealer. Now most of you will be expecting me to say I'm getting a Tuono or RSV4, but no. Whilst they are amazing bikes they're too insanely fast for hitting the local twisties and by twisty I mean stuff like Page Mill and Alpine and Pescadero Creek. At 51 years old I don't need to be scaring myself at every corner because I arrived too quick, I save that for the track, but I do want to get a serious hussle on.

So I give you the first bike I will buy brand new - the 2018 Aprilia Shiver 900.

Now I'm sure some of you will be asking "why would you want one of those?" and even more will be asking "what's that?" so I will share my reasoning and experience. Having had a demo since late last year I've had the chance to get to know the 900cc V-twin Shiver. Most of the 600 miles on the odometer have been put on by me as it's been overshadowed by the headline grabbing Tuono and RSV4 for test rides. I feel I can go as fast on this, on the street, as I could on any other bike and have a huge grin on my face the whole time.

The motor is a peach, it pulls from nothing without hesitation, so lets you get away with leaving it in 2nd or 3rd and just driving hard from corner to corner. Whilst the suspension may have limited adjustability it only needed minor tweeks to set it up. The spring rates are spot on for me (185lbs) and the valving is a good combination of control and ability to soak up the worst of the bumps (think the rough part of Old Santa Cruz Highway). The ergonomics are ideal for me (6'1") with a comfortable seat and wide bars with a short reach that still allows me to hang off in the corners. Windblast without a screen isn't really noticeable up to 75mph. The looks are obviously down to the eye of the beholder but I think it looks modern and purposeful. Even the sound from the stock exhaust is good with some nice popping on the overrun. I don't know how Aprilia got it through noise testing (same goes for the Tuono and RSV4). It is a little heavy but once rolling you don't notice it at all. Seat height may be a bit tall for those with a challenged inseam.

So all in all I love this bike and don't feel the need to change anything. Maybe an exhaust, a fender eliminator, a flyscreen and some stickier tires but that would be it.

This whole thread hasn't been a sales pitch, I just wanted to let Barfers know about a great bike that's gone under the radar.

There's no need to take my word for it. Check out the CitiBike review here.

This bit here is the sales pitch.
Now, if I have piqued your interest you are welcome to come down to Evolution and take the demo out for a spin. We have one new bike in stock and I can do a special BARF deal on it. MSRP is $9,399 but I can do an out the door price inc tax, fees and reg of $9,800. There's even 1.99% finance available till the end of the month.

We also have a Dorsoduro 900 (same engine, motard styling) which I can do for $11,300 OTD (MSRP $10.999). CityBike review here.
408-453-6386

2385 DE LA CRUZ BLVD, SANTA CLARA 95050
Tues-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheene
UKtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
rsrider
47% parasite 53% ahole

Motorcycles: 2014 Ducati Monster 796 ABS -- 2012 Ninjette -- 2001 Triumph Sprint RS -- 2013 Vespa GTS Super
Name: Toast
Cool. I didn't even think about getting another Supersport for my last new bike, and went for a similar "standard" type in the Ducati.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
NorCal_SV650S
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2006 Buell XB12SS Long, 1979 Puch
Name: Jordan G.
Wow that's a lot of bike for under $10k....
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Looks awesome and the perfect Bay Area bike Rob!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:39 AM   #5
norcalkid
Rookie

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
Cool bike, never seen one before. But Aprilia, how do you even get past those V4s W an exhaust node that can give a grown man wood to look at this thing.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Nice bike the Shiver!
Whammy loves his Dorsoduro:
I have to remind myself to keep it in touring mode.
The bike wants to wheelie in sport mode just by rolling on the throttle hard
If i can find a decent set of reasonably prices slip ons id be even more happier

Last edited by Whammy; 06-14-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #7
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: R1200GS, Ulysses, V11 Rosso Mandello, CRF250L, XT225, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Thanks for the links, Rob. I'm a big fan of the Dorso, myself.

For anyone interested, the direct links to the stories (outside the back issues) are here: Shiver review and Dorsoduro review.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
UDRider
Leftist apologist.

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:38 AM   #9
Chicago_FJR
MSF Rider Coach

AMA #: 687081
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR 1300A ('15)
Name: Patrick
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtech1 View Post
Since I borrowed money from my Mum...

Running Evolution... That was until we became an Aprilia dealer.

So I give you the first bike I will buy brand new - the 2018 Aprilia Shiver 900.

This whole thread hasn't been a sales pitch, I just wanted to let Barfers know about a great bike that's gone under the radar.
Congrats! Very happy for you! Thank you for being a supporter too! I follow your sales posts in the vendor/partner section!

And thanks to Mom for supporting you all these years. She rocks!

We have great roads in Chicago too, we just name them generically, e.g. cloverleafs, on ramps, and off ramps!
Chicago_FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
Wheelie nice bike! Last new bike I bought was a 1982 Suzuki 1100GS for $3200 OTD!
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
BARF Moderator
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
Congratulations on the bike.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
I like how it looks myself. Congrats Rob.

The roads you mention are favs for me and my multi too.

Did you give yourself a discount??
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
tuxumino
Sending You Thoughts

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
what kind of MPG does it get?
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce
tuxumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Nucking Futs
The peak experience!

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor+++++++++++++ +++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 530 EXCR, X60R, 450 XC-R,HD Sportster, R1M
Name:
It looks a lot like the Suzuki GW250.

I think Aprilia should have made the Shiver a little more edgy looking.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 Street Triple R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtech1 View Post
Whilst they are amazing bikes they're too insanely fast for hitting the local twisties and by twisty I mean stuff like Page Mill and Alpine and Pescadero Creek. At 51 years old I don't need to be scaring myself at every corner because I arrived too quick, I save that for the track, but I do want to get a serious hussle on.

I was just talking to a friend last night about potentially stepping back up to a 1,000 CC naked bike after riding for a year and a half on a Street Triple R. The STR does many things right but i often miss the low end torque and power i would get from my 14 Tuono at lower speeds.

It's funny how when you own a bike - you think about all the things that it does that you don't like. When it's gone - you often remember the things you liked about it and sometimes second guess yourself.

After reading this passage above Rob, i have to say - it makes me second guess the need to really step back up into a bigger bike.

I like the write up on the shiver - i'm not sure i could own another Aprilia again (and i'm not crazy about the looks) but I do hope that the success of this more mid power market continues to expand (KTM 790, bigger bore on the 765 Triumph, maybe MT09 SP finally?!).

I just hope this category isn't always viewed as a budget category to a liter bike. I hope they get the tech, and the chassis/suspension they deserve.

Liter power in 90% of most riding occasions (even on the track for me) is not usable.

Last edited by Moto Beck; 06-14-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote