Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 06-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
hobbes3

Motorcycles: 2015 Honda CBR600RA
Name:
Tzrider, that is a well informed and well thought out explanation. Thank you very much! I learned a lot reading your post.

I'll be re-reading your post a few times to make sure I soaked all of the info.

Last edited by hobbes3; 06-30-2017 at 12:58 PM..
hobbes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #17
hobbes3

Name:
As a bonus, here's the bike before, naked, and after:

A lot of my friends on Facebook like the white version more :-).
Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #18
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes3 View Post
As a bonus, here's the bike before, naked, and after: A lot of my friends on Facebook like the white version more :-).
Ok, now get some new crash bars on there (case savers? Ya'all know what I mean...it's early zzz) to protect that clean bodywork...

Get back on & RIDE!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #19
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
I crashed 4 and 6 both downhill turns.

How is your bp? Are you dragging knee and off bike?
Old 07-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #20
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Underloaded front tire, just like every other track day crash on the front. You were on the gas a country mile too soon.
+1

I took a screenshot of where you started adding throttle in the video (see below). That's like 50+ feet before you should be on the throttle. The rider that passed you isn't even past the apex yet in the screenshot.

Tim Scarrott (former AFM racer) has maps of all the AFM tracks with lines and detailed notes hosted on his website that I have found helpful over the years.

Sonoma Raceway
Thunderhill Raceway
BUttonwillow Raceway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 3.05.56 PM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	496707  

Last edited by Nick; 07-01-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
hobbes3

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
I crashed 4 and 6 both downhill turns.

How is your bp? Are you dragging knee and off bike?
I'm definitely still learning a lot about body positioning. Ironically I got my knee down for the first time that day before lunch. I got it down very shortly for like 1-2 seconds on turn 6, the carousel, but I got it down consistently on that turn that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
+1

I took a screenshot of where you started adding throttle in the video (see below). That's like 50+ feet before you should be on the throttle. The rider that passed you isn't even past the apex yet in the screenshot.

Tim Scarrott (former AFM racer) has maps of all the AFM tracks with lines and detailed notes hosted on his website that I have found helpful over the years.
Nice! Thanks for those links. I've seen them before but never had a chance to review it on my computer.

As for adding throttle, I'm a bit confused. I know people say when you trail brake you don't add throttle until you get past the apex, people also say to add slight acceleration throughout the turn. I assume that during trail braking releasing the brakes slowly toward the apex increases acceleration too?

When I was adding throttle there, I was definitely adding minor acceleration. In fact, I have a bad habit of not cranking it open right before the straights.

Basically, I'm asking if I wasn't adding more lean during the turn then it would have been correct to continue with the acceleration like I was doing in the video, right?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes3 View Post
I'm definitely still learning a lot about body positioning. Ironically I got my knee down for the first time that day before lunch. I got it down very shortly for like 1-2 seconds on turn 6, the carousel, but I got it down consistently on that turn that day.

Nice! Thanks for those links. I've seen them before but never had a chance to review it on my computer.

As for adding throttle, I'm a bit confused. I know people say when you trail brake you don't add throttle until you get past the apex, people also say to add slight acceleration throughout the turn. I assume that during trail braking releasing the brakes slowly toward the apex increases acceleration too?

When I was adding throttle there, I was definitely adding minor acceleration. In fact, I have a bad habit of not cranking it open right before the straights.

Basically, I'm asking if I wasn't adding more lean during the turn then it would have been correct to continue with the acceleration like I was doing in the video, right?
if u hadnt added extra lean, it would have been reasonably safe to add minor acceleration like u did. but you are confusing track and street techniques. taking the turn that way is horribly slow and becomes risky as u try to go faster. so save that for the street.

all this is a matter of where the slowest point of the corner is. on the street, the slowest point is very early in the turn or even b4 the turn because u get most of your braking done right away. the braking is ez because its all upright and the acceleration must be very slow so u can finish the corner. on the track, the slowest point is at or very near the center of the turn. the braking is difficult because u brake with lean and the acceleration can be hard since u are already pointed at the exit. in both cases we brake all the way to the slowest point and we accelerate away from it, but the difficulties and magnitudes are way diff.

does that all make sense? i could prob find u some diagrams if necessary.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 07-02-2017 at 07:30 PM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
all this is a matter of where the apex is, where the slowest point of the corner is.
I'm not familiar with this as a definition of the word apex. When describing a line, the definition I'm familiar with is the place where you are closest to the inside edge of the track. That may or may not be the slowest portion of the turn, depending on how you approach it. If trail braking to the apex, yes; if getting off the brakes at the turn entry and flicking the bike in, no.

You and I do agree that the risky combo in this instance was adding throttle and lean angle at the same time.

California Superbike School
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
I'm not familiar with this as a definition of the word apex. When describing a line, the definition I'm familiar with is the place where you are closest to the inside edge of the track. That may or may not be the slowest portion of the turn, depending on how you approach it. If trail braking to the apex, yes; if getting off the brakes at the turn entry and flicking the bike in, no.

You and I do agree that the risky combo in this instance was adding throttle and lean angle at the same time.
ya i guess thats not standard convention. ill reword it to not confuse ppl.

ive been racing more MotoAmerica this year. i still havent found a corner where ppl get off the brakes at entry and flick the bike in
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 07-02-2017 at 07:31 PM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #25
jmann
Rookie

Motorcycles: sport
Name:
Just curious. Would one of the more advanced bike with traction, slide control, etc.... have helped and possibily saved this crash?
jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #26
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann View Post
Just curious. Would one of the more advanced bike with traction, slide control, etc.... have helped and possibily saved this crash?
I don't see how in this situation, dude did this in front of me on a 2015 R1. There was no slip to control or even enough throttle for precontrol. Perhaps if in rain mode it would have smoothed out his throttle application which would have kept more weight on the front.
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #27
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann View Post
Yes and no. If the traction control on the bike was set to "rain", or most interruption, it might have. The crash was caused by the rider adding throttle and lean angle. The convention is to remove lean angle and add throttle. He simply got on the gas way to early in the corner, while still entering and way before the apex. That's why he crashed. The rider in front of him carried much more speed and braked all the way to the apex, the correct way to do it.

So if the traction control was set to a much higher level, it might have. However at that level, the available power would have been so limited that it would have been a small fraction of what was possible. In other words, the bike would simply have no power on exits.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #28
stunna
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Panigale V4S. Scrambler Cafe Racer.
Name: JOON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
To me it looks like you were adding lean angle and throttle at the same time, most likely as a response from being passed shortly before. To prevent this in the future I would recommend to get the bike pointed before adding throttle, and never add throttle and lean angle at the same time.

You and the bike okay?
+1
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #29
r6rammy
I ride with Passion

Motorcycles: 16 R3, 17 R6, 16 R1
Name: Doc-Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Yes and no. If the traction control on the bike was set to "rain", or most interruption, it might have. The crash was caused by the rider adding throttle and lean angle. The convention is to remove lean angle and add throttle. He simply got on the gas way to early in the corner, while still entering and way before the apex. That's why he crashed. The rider in front of him carried much more speed and braked all the way to the apex, the correct way to do it.

So if the traction control was set to a much higher level, it might have. However at that level, the available power would have been so limited that it would have been a small fraction of what was possible. In other words, the bike would simply have no power on exits.
Does traction control even work for front wheel traction?

I've been guilty (still am) for over slowing the entry and trying to compensate by adding throttle way before the apex (T9 at Thill). I now know that its best to throw away that corner and fix it on the next time at the same spot, by not over slowing the entry. If you trailed brakes (keep front loaded), then losing traction at front is a factor of lean angle and speeds mostly (this is where BP comes in, to some extent). The limits of that traction, I dont want to find out

Glad you and bike are OK and you used this as a good learning experience.
AFM #723 - 2016 Yamaha R3 (Gray and Yell-OH), 2017 Yamaha R6

2018 Sponsors: Fastline cycles, Hare Motorsports, Woodcraft, Keigwins@TheTrack
r6rammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #30
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
Does traction control even work for front wheel traction?

I've been guilty (still am) for over slowing the entry and trying to compensate by adding throttle way before the apex (T9 at Thill). I now know that its best to throw away that corner and fix it on the next time at the same spot, by not over slowing the entry. If you trailed brakes (keep front loaded), then losing traction at front is a factor of lean angle and speeds mostly (this is where BP comes in, to some extent). The limits of that traction, I dont want to find out

Glad you and bike are OK and you used this as a good learning experience.
That crash wasn't due to a front tucking first, it was due to a rear spinning up, losing traction, and stepping out, which created enough more lean to tuck the front. I've done it more than once.