Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #2581
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Can someone 'splain KTM's reasons for the shifter connection? It seems a complicated spline to make.
Is it a "can't do it like the Japanese" thing?
sometimes the truth hurts!

I went down and completed some minor repairs this afternoon on the XR400R after Baja. Had a broken crimp connector on a ground wire. Other than a cracked aftermarket Polisport front fender, that was all it needed after nearly a 1000 miles in Baja this year. Oh, and it started after sitting since Baja with only two kicks. Not bad for a 20 yr old dirt bike. Its ready for the Sheet Iron!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #2582
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss
Name: Daniel
Wait are you sure it doesn't need a top end? Sounded like low compression to me.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #2583
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
It rained lightly all day yesterday which meant today would be nice for riding. But it was foggy in the morning and I watched the Warriors instead of riding. Finally left for a short ride at 3 PM. Should have gone for an all day ride!

Hero dirt. Cool weather but not cold. YZ250 ran fantastic after a little air screw adjustment. The nice weather brought out a lot of shooters and I felt paranoid riding around. Instead of riding to the rocky canyon I should have ridden to the tight single track; less shooters in that area.

You ever see trials riders riding up steep rock faces and they have their bellies against their bars and their chests over their front fenders? I should have done that. Loop video incoming.

I do feel pretty good about jumping a small wash from a downhill. It was deeper than my front wheel and wide enough that the rear wheel would likely not clear it. It actually took a little technique, compressing the front and then gassing it at the right time.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #2584
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Ride highlights:

youtu.be/RpdSrQgKUc4
Stupid tricks start at 3:00. When you can read the, "But did you die?" sticker on your front number plate, it's not a good thing. Maybe I should have put it on upside-down.

Rocky canyon:

youtu.be/246ZIge1F7E
I need to take my trials bike up and down that.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #2585
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Oh by the way, packing the silencer extremely lightly makes no difference in sound compared to densely packed or moderately packed. (FMF Q)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #2586
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
I just helped my bikes have a place to run by posting this on the Metcalf BookFace page:

California State Parks
OHMVR Division Grants Public Comments Period
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1164

The public review and comment period for the 2017/18 Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program ends at on Monday, April 2, 2018. This provides an opportunity for the public to review and provide comments to the applications submitted to the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division for consideration during the 2017/18 grant cycle.

How:

1. Go here http://olga.ohv.parks.ca.gov/egrams_...wProjects.aspx
4. Click on the three dot icon in the middle of the page, line two in the box after agency
5. Enter the agency name, "Santa Clara County" and click on the “Lookup” button
6. Click on the box on the left hand side of the “record” that came up
7. Click on the file card icon on the right hand side under "Public Comments" (you are chosing which the grant application to comment on, some agencies have many)
8. Enter your name, your email and your comment; maybe "Metcalf is so great for my faamily! Please grant their grants as requested!"
9. Click on the “Send Email” button

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 03-15-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #2587
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
I just helped my bikes have a place to run by posting this on the Metcalf BookFace page:

California State Parks
OHMVR Division Grants Public Comments Period
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1164

The public review and comment period for the 2017/18 Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program ends at on Monday, April 2, 2018. This provides an opportunity for the public to review and provide comments to the applications submitted to the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division for consideration during the 2017/18 grant cycle.

How:

1. Go here http://olga.ohv.parks.ca.gov/egrams_...wProjects.aspx
4. Click on the three dot icon in the middle of the page, line two in the box after agency
5. Enter the agency name, "Santa Clara County" and click on the “Lookup” button
6. Click on the box on the left hand side of the “record” that came up
7. Click on the file card icon on the right hand side to chose the grant application to comment
8. Enter your name, your email and your comment; maybe "Metcalf is so great for my faamily! Please grant their grants as requested!"
9. Click on the “Send Email” button
I only see 4 options; none that are "grant application" only general application requirements.

I am assuming that this is what you were referring to. Submitted!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #2588
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
I only see 4 options; none that are "grant application" only general application requirements.

I am assuming that this is what you were referring to. Submitted!
Metcalf has four (4) grant applications, General Application Requirements, Ground Operations, Law Enforcement and Education & Safety.

You can comment all four. I will try to make it more clear...

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #2589
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Big day in the garage with the old DR350.

Removed the supermoto wheelset... Changed the front tire back over to dual sport rubber, and swapped the 4 pot Tokico back to ye olde 2 pot Nissin caliper. Pulled the BT45 off of the cush hub rear wheel, and replaced all of the wheel bearings and seals. Changed over to a 41T rear sprocket, and removed two links from the chain to compensate. Threw on a Shinko 244 rear, and got it reinstalled back on the bike..

Remove the giant boat anchor front stock front fender, which catches all sorts of bad wind at highway speeds. Replaced it with a YZ450F fender.

Lastly, removed the 1157 bulb from the rear, and changed over to a nice Sylvania ZEVO 2357R LED bulb, which draws a fraction of the power of the incandescent, and is actually brighter, too. Soldered a few additional 'jumper wires' from the bulb to the socket itself, as I've been having trouble with the connection back there wiggling and making my rear lights flicker.

Tomorrow, I'm off for some dual sport riding in western NC. Weather should be hovering in the low 60s all day.

This weekend, an Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank arrives, as well as new rubbers for the cush drive. Don't need 'em just yet, but figured they'd go NLA at some point.

Last edited by Kestrel; 03-15-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #2590
PASTAPWR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 RSV Mille
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Metcalf has four (4) grant applications, General Application Requirements, Ground Operations, Law Enforcement and Education & Safety.

You can comment all four. I will try to make it more clear...
Email submitted on all 4 items.

"Lines? How about staying to the left of the white one and right of the yellow ones. It's called a lane and you're supposed to stay in your own. Practice that for a while first... " - Dougmo531
PASTAPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #2591
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Skipped the rat race yesterday and got out to western NC - partly sunny in the upper 50s at elevation. Nice day to ride, for sure. Lots of forest service roads out here that can run for hours without seeing another person. Did some of those, as well as their offshoots and little spurs. Those side trails are impassable for most vehicles, but I am narrow, and have long travel suspension

This ridge trail ran for a few miles - no doubt not used for decades - and had a handful of fallen trees that made for good practice, along with a couple of good hill climbs. Even being the lighter dirt model DR (285lbs?), it's kind of a pig in stuff like this. Oh well - life is full of compromise. It has a decent fully adjustable suspension, 6 speed trans, and most importantly --> a license plate. I can't complain.

FedEx just brought me a present...

5.8 gallons should be enough for almost any destination in the USA. Even riding fairly ham fisted, the DR still managed to pull in over 50mpg with the pumper carb.

Now I just need to do something about that seat... I've heard Seat Concepts makes good stuff.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #2592
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Excellent stuff, Kestrel!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #2593
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
Toilet Paper Warrior
Contributor++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++2%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Awesome!

District 36

CORVA

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #2594
PASTAPWR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 RSV Mille
Name:
Started digging into the e-start issue on my CRF 450X.

Battery is good. It even started my cold Aprilia RSV. Charging system is good and starting system is good. Removed starter and pulled apart. Brushes are out of spec, commutator is a bit corroded.
Could smell the burn when I cracked the housing.

New brushes springs and o-rings are on order. Need to pick up some contact cleaner and do a bit more research on cleaning the commutator surface.

Then the rebuild can commence. Looking forward to not needing to kick start.

"Lines? How about staying to the left of the white one and right of the yellow ones. It's called a lane and you're supposed to stay in your own. Practice that for a while first... " - Dougmo531
PASTAPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #2595
MotoJP46
2wheel Junkie

AMA #2919073

Motorcycles: 2009 CRF450R, 2016 Crf50f, 1991 PW50
Name: JP
Rode a few sessions at Argyll this morning and it was a sloppy mess out there. Lots of fun though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF354BBE-50D6-4CE8-BE8D-CA28B477D752.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	506107  
05 R6 (totalled in 07)
MotoJP46 is offline   Reply With Quote