Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
Knobnose40

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple
Name:
I’m confused. Isn’t the insurance company free to settle up to the limits of the policy? Is he taking the insurance company to court?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
clutchslip
Read only user

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobnose40 View Post
I’m confused. Isn’t the insurance company free to settle up to the limits of the policy? Is he taking the insurance company to court?
My understanding is that the owner does not want to settle, because it may be very negative to his business, to all track days, and perhaps even racing.

Why the insurance company would settle is not something I can speculate about beyond that insurance providers often settle to avoid losing more money with attorney fees and the settlement amount. This may have nothing to do with the merits of a lawsuit. It is just actuaries weighing court cost averages and paying to keep playing.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobnose40 View Post
Yes, it can settle up to the limits. However the policy holder can decide to fight and not settle, which he has done. He is not taking anyone to court. He is fighting to avoid a settlement by defending in court on his own money. IF you have an auto accident and get sued, you can pay out of your pocket, sue back or let the insurance company handle it.

The moment that a settlement happens, it's the the end of trackdays as we know them. If anyone who goes to a trackday and crashes can decide to sue and win because "it's not their fault", there won't be any more trackdays. Insurance costs will make sure of that. To my knowledge there have been zero successful suits on this basis.

Last edited by afm199; 03-13-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
They are defending part of it. The owner specifically is fighting a settlement. It's easy for the insurance company to make a settlement and raise rates. The moment that happens, it opens the door to a flood of similar lawsuits.
I wouldn't be surprised if the floodgates are already open. they opened when insurance companies decided/realized that settling was cheaper than fighting. I cant imagine this is the first ever case against a trackday org to go to settlement, and I doubt it'll be the last.

cool on Keigwins fighting for their principles.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #513
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex OptimalRacing
Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the floodgates are already open. they opened when insurance companies decided/realized that settling was cheaper than fighting. I cant imagine this is the first ever case against a trackday org to go to settlement, and I doubt it'll be the last.

Can't argue with an open ended statement.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
wfo439
Ex AFM 439

Motorcycles: S1000RR, HP4 Track bike and a KTM 500 EXC Sumo
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post

Donated this morning. I'm tired of undeserving people getting payouts because it's cheaper than fighting. Glad he is continuing the fight.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #22
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 FXDLS, 2016 Concours14, 1987 VFR700F2
Name: Dan
The guy is busy funding his crappy motorcycle company venture...

Seriously...
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
If we TDP-supporters could get a little info regarding which court and judge is hearing the case, I believe we can/could submit Amici Curiae or “friend of the court” letters in support of Kiegwins.

Perhaps a few dozen (or more!) statements from riders clearly laying out that we all understand and accept the inherent risks of track-riding, that track crashes are not uncommon and what an excellent job the TDPs and tracks do in making this conduct as safe as possible within a “reasonable person”’s expectations would be a benefit as well as raising money for their defense.

I’d be happy to coordinate getting these together and submitting them at the appropriate time. If there is interest, I’ll reach out to Keigwins or their representation.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #24
Killroy1999
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Keigwins is awesome. I use to work for the guy. It sucks that this would happen.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 PM   #25
shouldnthave
On a break

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
Keigwins is awesome. I use to work for the guy. It sucks that this would happen.
Lance sold the company to a self made millionaire years ago. The idea that said self made millionaire needs $50k for litigation is absolutely fucking absurd. If he needs money that bad he can sell one of the RVs in his half million $$$ fleet.

This is a scam and anyone that falls for it is a sucker.

Last edited by shouldnthave; 03-13-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #26
shouldnthave
On a break

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
Can I please have your hard earned money sir??? It's for a good cause...

I'll even toss in some extra fear for free!!
Old 03-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #27
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...67&postcount=1

Please check this out. Please keep the comments here to a minimum, it's a plea for assistance, not a discussion thread.

Thanks.

If the lawsuit is won, we can all expect to pay far more for trackdays and races.
Sorry man, not much into the millennial handout aka gofundme. Crash my bike, set up gofundme. Cant afford to race, set up gofundme.

Just as the rider knew the risks so did the trackday owner. Lawsuits are nothing new to this arena.

Although, It doesnt strike me as odd when someones running around exploiting flamboyant lavish materials.

keepin it real
Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #28
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Sorry man, not much into the millennial handout aka gofundme. Crash my bike, set up gofundme. Cant afford to race, set up gofundme.

Just as the rider knew the risks so did the trackday owner. Lawsuits are nothing new to this arena.

Although, It doesnt strike me as odd when someones running around exploiting flamboyant lavish materials.

keepin it real
Old 03-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
enzo76
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 94 M900
Name: Evan
This thread is inspiring me to donate to an actual worthy cause. Thanks!

Edit: Just donated to the Alameda County Community Food Bank.

Last edited by enzo76; 03-14-2018 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: following through
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpad View Post

keepin it real
Jealousy is a scary thing.