Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 05-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #61
JesasaurusRex
Veteran

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
I have a fuel light but I also reset the tripmeter every time I fill up. Thats as good as any fuel guage
except when you forget to reset it, or just forget how many miles you get, then it's not as good

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #62
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
except when you forget to reset it, or just forget how many miles you get, then it's not as good
Sure could happen if you have dementia but that's like having a fuel gauge and noticing its low but then forgetting about it keep riding and running out of gas anyhow
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #63
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Sure could happen if you have dementia but that's like having a fuel gauge and noticing its low but then forgetting about it keep riding and running out of gas anyhow
No, because a fuel gauge works whether you remember to reset the stupid thing at every gas stop. I use the word stupid because it's stupid to have to do that.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #64
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj View Post
No, because a fuel gauge works whether you remember to reset the stupid thing at every gas stop. I use the word stupid because it's stupid to have to do that.
Im gonna assume that you have enough familiarity with the industry to know that not all bikes come with a fuel gauge. Are the people who buy these non equipped bikes stupid. Are people also stupid for making use of a factory installed device like the tripmeter. If you're forgetful and don't want to press that reset button every time you fill up well you don't have to. Its not like thats any part of the bikes maintenance schedule.
Don't stress, there's a glowing yellow light to warn you fuel is low for those with too much on their mind to remember the trip meter.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #65
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:
Im gonna assume that you have enough familiarity with the industry to know that not all bikes come with a fuel gauge. Are the people who buy these non equipped bikes stupid. Are people also stupid for making use of a factory installed device like the tripmeter. If you're forgetful and don't want to press that reset button every time you fill up well you don't have to. Its not like thats any part of the bikes maintenance schedule.
Don't stress, there's a glowing yellow light to warn you fuel is low for those with too much on their mind to remember the trip meter.

You continue to way oversimplify. Yes, lots of bikes don't have gauges. That doesn't make it any less stupid at this point in the development of motorcycles.

A fuel light doesn't let you plan for a gas stop, it just says "you're fucked" if you're out somewhere without gas for a few miles, no matter how much retrogrouch cool you try to smear on your position.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #66
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Quote:

You continue to way oversimplify. Yes, lots of bikes don't have gauges. That doesn't make it any less stupid at this point in the development of motorcycles.

A fuel light doesn't let you plan for a gas stop, it just says "you're fucked" if you're out somewhere without gas for a few miles, no matter how much retrogrouch cool you try to smear on your position.
Take it up with the manufacturers. Iím not the one that decides to not install the fuel gauge on modern bikes. But instead of bitching about it I simply use the tripmeter. Which gives me a good idea of how much fuel is left, which has been my point this whole time
Old 05-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #67
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Take it up with the manufacturers. Iím not the one that decides to not install the fuel gauge on modern bikes. But instead of bitching about it I simply use the tripmeter. Which gives me a good idea of how much fuel is left, which has been my point this whole time
Seriously man, no one said you were to blame, or that you are stupid.

Everyone understands your point, but everyone else's point is that your way only works if one resets it every time one gets fuel, which is easy to forget, leaving you with no idea of how much gas you've got and an unknown amount of gas after the fuel light (unless one you've run the bike to empty before).

My point specifically is that it's stupid for any manufacturer to still be hobbling us with this at this point, when $4,500 entry level bikes have gauges. You for some reason keep feeling the need to defend this as a solid practice because you don't have dementia or whatever.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #68
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Quote:
Seriously man, no one said you were to blame, or that you are stupid.

Everyone understands your point, but everyone else's point is that your way only works if one resets it every time one gets fuel, which is easy to forget, leaving you with no idea of how much gas you've got and an unknown amount of gas after the fuel light (unless one you've run the bike to empty before).

My point specifically is that it's stupid for any manufacturer to still be hobbling us with this at this point, when $4,500 entry level bikes have gauges. You for some reason keep feeling the need to defend this as a solid practice because you don't have dementia or whatever.
"Everyone's point", its only you dude, you don't speak for the membership.
I mentioned in general to barf what I do and you respond with your BS. I don't give a rats ass if you don't like using the trip meter and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that no one else does either.

Its baffling that someone with your crappy posting style may actually contribute to articles in Shittybike Mag. Do yourself a favor and don't respond to any of its readers with your sucky attitude else you'd be the stupid one.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #69
sunsetsf
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2013 tuono v4r 2007 r6s(sold)
Name:
you get used to it
sunsetsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #70
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
"Everyone's point", its only you dude, you don't speak for the membership.
I mentioned in general to barf what I do and you respond with your BS. I don't give a rats ass if you don't like using the trip meter and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that no one else does either.

Its baffling that someone with your crappy posting style may actually contribute to articles in Shittybike Mag. Do yourself a favor and don't respond to any of its readers with your sucky attitude else you'd be the stupid one.

I don't know what your malfunction is, dude, but I didn't claim to "speak for the membership," or any say any of the other words you put in my mouth. I simply chimed in on what JesasaurusRex said about the trip meter not being the be-all-end-all you claim it is—you know, because its a discussion board—and you got all wacky and offended that I didn't take your absolutist POV as gospel.

"...may actually contribute to articles..." is pretty chuckle-worthy given the sub-literate "shitty posting style" you're exhibiting here.

I'm not even going to bother setting the rest of this bullshit straight.

Last edited by Surj; 05-21-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #71
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

You might be retarded and if so Iíll have to apologize for trying to make sense out of your posts where none was to be found.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #72
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

You're just embarrassing yourself now. By "now" I mean "today."

Please stop, for the good of the thread (and the membership, whom I admittedly don't speak for).
Old 05-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #73
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Yeah I suspect my prognosis was spot on. Youíve proven that more than once on here.
Go ahead and have the last word, seems it mean a lot to you.