Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #61
Lonster
Veteran
 
Lonster's Avatar
 
AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Emerald Triangle
Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, GT80, Italjet 50
Name: Lonster
You CAN, but why bother. Just put the whole assembly on and see how you like it. Why make more work for yourself?
After you have run it for a while, if you absolutely MUST change the grip, then have at it.
If you look at my pictures in the previous posts, you will see what the installed part looks like.

Lonster
__________________
Lnster
R.I.P. Champ Nicky Hayden
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #62
tlthehun
knight in dented armor
 
tlthehun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marin County
Motorcycles: YZFR6-00, NSR50R-04, DRZ400SM-06
Name: Tom
Someone please clarify. Is it the 2004 R1 or 2004 R6 throttle tube that is 1/6 turn and will interchange with the DRZ400SM?

I found 5SL-26240-00-00 for the 2004 R6 and 4YR-26240-01-00 for the 2004 R1.
tlthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #63
Lonster
Veteran
 
Lonster's Avatar
 
AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Emerald Triangle
Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, GT80, Italjet 50
Name: Lonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlthehun View Post
Someone please clarify. Is it the 2004 R1 or 2004 R6 throttle tube that is 1/6 turn and will interchange with the DRZ400SM?

I found 5SL-26240-00-00 for the 2004 R6 and 4YR-26240-01-00 for the 2004 R1.
4YR-26240-01-00 for the 2004 R1

Either one should work, but the R-1 is the 1/6th turn unit. I have no experience with the R-6 throttle assembly.

Lonster
__________________
Lnster
R.I.P. Champ Nicky Hayden
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #64
paroxysm
576cc PieGP world champ.
 
paroxysm's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: SM610, ZX6R, CR250, EX250
Name: Garret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
4YR-26240-01-00 for the 2004 R1

Either one should work, but the R-1 is the 1/6th turn unit. I have no experience with the R-6 throttle assembly.

Lonster
Ordered one yesterday, I'll have a report after next weekend (not going to have time to install it before the Dec 8th Motard ride). I'm going to go ahead and leave the grip on to test it out. If I like it I'll tear the grip off and put my old ones back on. I've never installed a throttle tube, are there any tricks to it or should I just read the manual?
Thanks,
-Garret
paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #65
wikidklown
Bike Killer
 
wikidklown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: Waiting on the new one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysm View Post
Ordered one yesterday, I'll have a report after next weekend (not going to have time to install it before the Dec 8th Motard ride). I'm going to go ahead and leave the grip on to test it out. If I like it I'll tear the grip off and put my old ones back on. I've never installed a throttle tube, are there any tricks to it or should I just read the manual?
Thanks,
-Garret
Nothing special, I just did this last Friday and what a difference, Thanks to Lonster for posting about this one. Don't forget to order the left side to match. I was on my way out of San Jose Yamaha when I realized I needed the other side to match the R1 throttle assy.
__________________
I get it, no wonder I've always been "tardy".
wikidklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #66
paroxysm
576cc PieGP world champ.
 
paroxysm's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: SM610, ZX6R, CR250, EX250
Name: Garret
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidklown View Post
Nothing special, I just did this last Friday and what a difference, Thanks to Lonster for posting about this one. Don't forget to order the left side to match. I was on my way out of San Jose Yamaha when I realized I needed the other side to match the R1 throttle assy.
I only ordered Right
paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #67
Dion Rides
Pretty much BMX now...
 
Dion Rides's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Capitola, Ca.
Motorcycles: BMX, CX, MTB...
Name: Dion
Posted by Kenny (Kenrock1000) on ThumperTalk. Thanks Kenny!!

Smog Cannister Removal (How to) - For California SM models....(I think S models too ??)

Once I took this stupid cannister out, I realized how easy it was and what a problem it was causing.

As Most of us know...when you overfill your gas tank...raw gas is being drawn to your smog cannister (On ALL California bikes) and is causing the bike to act as if it were out of gas. Next...you'll get it started and then it will run fine for a mile or two and then die again. Well...this little cannister is your problem! For all those that need help on removing it....here is a "master post" if you will (mimicking Burned's 3X3 post) ...Along the way are a few pics I hope helped out...let me know it I missed anything or if you need a better shot.

Okay, first order of busniess...unbolt that ugly black/greyish cannister from under the rear left area of the sub-frame. There will be two lines running to the front of the bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRZremoval002.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	234147

The line with the black wrap around it (also has a red stripe on it) goes to the fuel shut-off valve. Take this line completly out including the fuel shut-off valve.

The other line goes to the carb. Follow this line to that carb and remove it all. Cap the nipple on the carb where that line went.

Heres the angle at the fuel shut-off valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRZremoval001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	234146

The line that is cut in this picture is the line that goes up to the in-tank vent valve. This line needs to be routed under the bike (preferably under the swingarm like most dirtbikes).

If you need a vacuum diagram...look on the frame on the left side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRZremoval003.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	234148

Thats it people! Now that line that runs from the petcock to the carb....leave that in and your petcock will function normally (leave it on "ON"). You wont have to fidget with that being on the "PRI" position. The owners manual actually says to NEVER leave it on PRI anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRZvalve.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	234149
Dion Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #68
Lonster
Veteran
 
Lonster's Avatar
 
AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Emerald Triangle
Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, GT80, Italjet 50
Name: Lonster
Dion, did you find the post about locktite-ing the output shaft/primary drive sprocket nut? It's a must do as well.
__________________
Lnster
R.I.P. Champ Nicky Hayden
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #69
tlthehun
knight in dented armor
 
tlthehun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marin County
Motorcycles: YZFR6-00, NSR50R-04, DRZ400SM-06
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
Dion, did you find the post about locktite-ing the output shaft/primary drive sprocket nut? It's a must do as well.
Great, now every phantom noise my engine makes will be because I haven't Loctited my primary drive gear nut.

Looks like you have to remove the right engine cover to get to it and possibly the left engine cover to have a nice way to keep the crank from turning.

Clutch replacement time would be the most convenient but I have a feeling I'm going to get talked into doing it the next time I change the oil.

How prevalent would you say the problem of the primary drive gear nut coming loose or perhaps having been improperly torqued at the factory is?

Please note that according to the manual, the primary drive gear nut is left hand (reverse; clockwise to remove) thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200712032333.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	234201  

Last edited by tlthehun; 12-03-2007 at 11:37 PM..
tlthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #70
stan23
Veteran
 
stan23's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Name: .
I got my R6 throttle tube today, and i'll install it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference (not that I can ride the bike right now w/o forks and shock)
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #71
wikidklown
Bike Killer
 
wikidklown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: Waiting on the new one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysm View Post
I only ordered Right
Haha, if you don't mind a mismatch it's kool I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
I got my R6 throttle tube today, and i'll install it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference (not that I can ride the bike right now w/o forks and shock)
Stan, it gained my bike another 50HP J/P but it does fell a lot better. No mo' double twisting or elbow pointing down. A+ on this mod.
__________________
I get it, no wonder I've always been "tardy".
wikidklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #72
Dion Rides
Pretty much BMX now...
 
Dion Rides's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Capitola, Ca.
Motorcycles: BMX, CX, MTB...
Name: Dion
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidklown View Post
Haha, if you don't mind a mismatch it's kool I guess.


Stan, it gained my bike another 50HP J/P but it does fell a lot better. No mo' double twisting or elbow pointing down. A+ on this mod.
As soon as my bike is broken in, I'm going with the R1 throttle body switch.

Last night I removed the canister crap via Kenny's advise, + I added peg sliders that I had in my tool box from awhile ago.
Dion Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #73
Lonster
Veteran
 
Lonster's Avatar
 
AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Emerald Triangle
Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, GT80, Italjet 50
Name: Lonster
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!!!
Dude, I'm talking about the nut that holds the front sprocket on. No engine disassambly required.

Lonster


Quote:
Originally Posted by tlthehun View Post
Great, now every phantom noise my engine makes will be because I haven't Loctited my primary drive gear nut.

Looks like you have to remove the right engine cover to get to it and possibly the left engine cover to have a nice way to keep the crank from turning.

Clutch replacement time would be the most convenient but I have a feeling I'm going to get talked into doing it the next time I change the oil.

How prevalent would you say the problem of the primary drive gear nut coming loose or perhaps having been improperly torqued at the factory is?

Please note that according to the manual, the primary drive gear nut is left hand (reverse; clockwise to remove) thread.
__________________
Lnster
R.I.P. Champ Nicky Hayden
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #74
Dion Rides
Pretty much BMX now...
 
Dion Rides's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Capitola, Ca.
Motorcycles: BMX, CX, MTB...
Name: Dion
I also just ordered steel lines and reflective yellow rim tape. Rim tape adds performance.
Dion Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #75
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++++++1%

Join Date: May 2007
Location: South San Francisco
Motorcycles: ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 EX300 race, '13 CB500F, '13 Giorno, '06 RM85L, '05 CRF150F
Name: Looney
Please dyno before and after the rim tape.
__________________
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'
Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.