Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 05-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #2701
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
Put in some 215.vm2.K5 fluid....we'll see if it is all that it is cracked up to be. Confirmed they did the free piston mod on the YZ SSS forks. Added extra fluid to compensate. We'll see if I can get it dialed in.

Considering going to Stony this weekend to stay Saturday night and ride all day Sunday. Thinking Cedar camp if I still have the rental.

Slowly getting this bike back to spec and hopefully will enjoy some time on it before it gets put away for a few weeks.
I used to use that fluid in YZ forks until a year or two ago. Just threw away a bottle and half of it. Not because it was bad or I didnt like it, just too expensive and I was simplifying. Use Belray of varying viscosities in all my bikes now. Easier to stock one brand in the garage than many for me. I honestly couldnt tell a significant difference.

I am hoping to be back up north Saturday night if you want to ride Sunday closer to me like Middle Creek or Cow. The Mendo Rally is happening this weekend at Lake Pilsbury, I might do a big dual sport loop up there Sunday. Or if you were around, some two smokin on single track.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #2702
yumdumpster
Veteran

Motorcycles: STriple, XR650R, WR450F
Name: Matt
Does anyone here have a XR650R? I bought one on the cheap a while back. It ran fine once started but was a bitch to kick over, re jetted it and now it starts first kick but runs like shit and the idle hangs. Think its running rich. At this point I dont have time to F with the carb anymore, anyone know a reputable place I could bring it to to have them rebuild it?
yumdumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #2703
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
I used to use that fluid in YZ forks until a year or two ago. Just threw away a bottle and half of it. Not because it was bad or I didnt like it, just too expensive and I was simplifying. Use Belray of varying viscosities in all my bikes now. Easier to stock one brand in the garage than many for me. I honestly couldnt tell a significant difference.

I am hoping to be back up north Saturday night if you want to ride Sunday closer to me like Middle Creek or Cow. The Mendo Rally is happening this weekend at Lake Pilsbury, I might do a big dual sport loop up there Sunday. Or if you were around, some two smokin on single track.
Ya, it was pricey relatively. Like $45 for the oil change. Not really all that more than the Motul. It was in the bike previously supposedly and I like the way the forks responded so I figured I'd attempt to keep variables down as I get the suspension set up to my liking.

I'm considering camping at Cedar Camp Saturday night and riding Sunday. Haven't solidified these plans yet. Still up in the air. :-)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #2704
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Use Belray of varying viscosities in all my bikes now. Easier to stock one brand in the garage than many for me. I honestly couldnt tell a significant difference.
Same, but Maxima.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #2705
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumdumpster View Post
Does anyone here have a XR650R? I bought one on the cheap a while back. It ran fine once started but was a bitch to kick over, re jetted it and now it starts first kick but runs like shit and the idle hangs. Think its running rich. At this point I dont have time to F with the carb anymore, anyone know a reputable place I could bring it to to have them rebuild it?
Scott Dunlavey at Berkeley Honda is the xr650r man in the east bay.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #2706
brichter
Spun out freakshow

AMA #: 1108554
Contributor +++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Fast & Dirty!
Name: ID Thief!
Quote:
I have 2, first step in addressing any issues with the way a Pig runs is to adjust the valves. It has an auto decomp system, so following the factory procedure is critical.

Hanging idle is usually due to a lean condition. Since the intake valves are the most common ones to go out of spec, and they tend to tighten up not get loose, they can affect the way the carb behaves.

What jets are you running?

Originally posted by Cruisingram
You know, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
it doesn't matter whose fault it was when you're lying in the graveyard.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #2707
yumdumpster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Does it still have the California (Restricted) intake manifold? The California model is tapered down to the shape of a long oval inside, the non-cal is strait thru.
California model...

There is a vacuum hole on the engine side of the carb, is that blocked off?
What jetting are you using?
Its uncorked, I replaced that myself.

As for jetting I am running 68s for the Pilot and 172 for the Main.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2708
yumdumpster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
I have 2, first step in addressing any issues with the way a Pig runs is to adjust the valves. It has an auto decomp system, so following the factory procedure is critical.

Hanging idle is usually due to a lean condition. Since the intake valves are the most common ones to go out of spec, and they tend to tighten up not get loose, they can affect the way the carb behaves.

What jets are you running?
Yeah if its vales Im just going to bring it in. I could probably do it, but I really dont want to brick it if I screw something up. In the past I would have done it myself but now that I have money I would rather just pay someone else to do it while I actually do something im good at, like spray weeds, or eat.

Last edited by yumdumpster; 05-03-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #2709
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV
Name: Daniel
I think I’m running 65s and 175 main with the b53e needle with the clip in the middle position according to my notes. Uncorked, stock exhaust with HRC tip. Jetting recommendation came from Scott D. Mine starts super easy.

How old is your fuel? Mine doesn’t like old fuel but a quick blast of compressed air through the idle circuit and I’m normally good to go. Jetting/carb work is pretty easy to do without removing the carb. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #2710
yumdumpster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
I think Iím running 65s and 175 main with the b53e needle with the clip in the middle position according to my notes. Uncorked, stock exhaust with HRC tip. Jetting recommendation came from Scott D. Mine starts super easy.

How old is your fuel? Mine doesnít like old fuel but a quick blast of compressed air through the idle circuit and Iím normally good to go. Jetting/carb work is pretty easy to do without removing the carb. Good luck!
Its brand new, it was the first thing I replaced, drained the tank and got fresh gas.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #2711
brichter
Spun out freakshow

Quote:
Yeah if its vales Im just going to bring it in. I could probably do it, but I really dont want to brick it if I screw something up. In the past I would have done it myself but now that I have money I would rather just pay someone else to do it while I actually do something im good at, like spray weeds, or eat.
I find myself picking and choosing what to do on my cars lately, too.

Your jetting should be in the ballpark, but there are several different levels of "uncorkage", so checking it after the valves are adjusted wouldn't be a bad idea. I run the stock tip on my plated pig and I have the HRC tip on the desert runner, the offroader likes the jetting a bit fatter than the plated one. Make sure you clean the air filter before checking, I've seen a few folks that forget this. A little wheel bearing grease or Vaseline around the edge of the filter helps seal it to the housing and keeps the dust from getting in around the edges, too.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #2712
yumdumpster
Veteran

Quote:
I find myself picking and choosing what to do on my cars lately, too.

Your jetting should be in the ballpark, but there are several different levels of "uncorkage", so checking it after the valves are adjusted wouldn't be a bad idea. I run the stock tip on my plated pig and I have the HRC tip on the desert runner, the offroader likes the jetting a bit fatter than the plated one. Make sure you clean the air filter before checking, I've seen a few folks that forget this. A little wheel bearing grease or Vaseline around the edge of the filter helps seal it to the housing and keeps the dust from getting in around the edges, too.
There was a time when I did everything on my cars, engines, transmissions whatever. Now Im fretting about running new lines for e85 on my Cobra.

This is just going to be for the street/sumo use. I have a set of 17's for it and its plated. Just want to get it running right and not have to touch it again.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #2713
brichter
Spun out freakshow

Quote:
Just want to get it running right and not have to touch it again.
Valve adjustments need to be done periodically on these. The intakes will tighten up over time.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #2714
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Went to the local OHV today. Did something stupid. Does this look right to you all?

Going up a rock face led to a bout of whiskey throttle. Guess changing to 13/44 sprockets made it a little more touchy...

Here is a really steep and long descent. As always, pictures don't do it justice.. Maybe 40-45 degrees? So sketchy I damned near turned around... But.. I walked all the way down, decided on a line, and went with it. Look close and you'll see my tiny DR at the top.

Tried to climb this, and threw myself into the woods causing my bike's face to get punched sideways. Ugh - more shit to fix. The first bottom edge is something like a 4-5 ft. wall.. and after that, you get about one bike length before you hit another steep section, and then the same thing over again. Tricky section. Maybe next time...

Unfortunately, I also smashed my front brake line at the crimp when the whole front of my bike was smashed in.

Is this going to fail at some point?

I can flex it now, and I certainly couldn't before.

Rocks. Turns really nasty right around the corner... Almost entirely bowling ball sized stuff, and all the way up the hill.

Eventually up at the top...

And back at the bottom. Empty. That's a Thursday for you.. On my way out around 4pm, probably 4-5 trucks with bikes passed me heading in for some post-work fun. I'd had my fun though, and drove the hour and 15 minutes back home.

DR performed like a trooper. Rebuilt forks are silent and working well.

But it's still fat. Probably 300lbs. I can't even imagine what it would be like riding something modern that was 70lbs lighter.

Last edited by Kestrel; 05-04-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #2715
yumdumpster
Veteran

Quote:
Valve adjustments need to be done periodically on these. The intakes will tighten up over time.
Yeah I meant more the jetting, Periodic maintenance is just a given. Considering this will be street ridden what the usual time between adjustments?