Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #196
Bowling4Bikes
turn 6 party crew

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: '02 Ducati ST4s, '97 Triumph Speed Triple, '92 XR250L
Name: D
France deserved it but, yah, that was a rough 1st goal to watch
Bowling4Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #197
ScorpioVI
كافر ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

AMA #: 1076930
Founding Member
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: KTM 990 ADV
Name: Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Well maybe Griezmann(FR) fell a little too soon and quickly and was awarded that penalty kick on fake events. No?

And then maybe everything has been skewed from then on.. since that was the first goal, "it may have tipped the balance of the game"<-- literally heard from a sports commentator after the game.

but yeah, there was enough performance on the French side, to lead to a win.

Griezmann flopped but it wasn't a penalty kick, it was a free kick to an own-goal deflection. But yea, that first goal definitely matters, I think the last stat I saw on this was something like the first team that scores a goal wins 70% of the time. There's definitely a morale setback to getting scored on, especially since it was an own goal. Then the handball to penalty kick was even more of an emotional blow.

But yea, there's a reason I only pay attention to soccer once every 4 years. I played throughout high school and played for Southern Alameda County youth soccer league and flopping wasn't a part of the game that I played. The amount of flopping going on in the premier leagues and at world stages is personally embarrassing to me as a former soccer player. There's no pride associated with being a former soccer player, I'd rather admit to being a former rollerblader than a former soccer player.

My Ride Reports:
Solo On The Carrizo
¿Por que Baja?
A Little Taste of the Alps

Martin Dykier a.k.a. "fifthrival", 9/9/75 - 1/25/03
William James Lockwood a.k.a. "B12Bill/RydTher", 8/13/67 - 4/21/08

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Vlad Taltos (Jhereg) x

Last edited by ScorpioVI; 07-16-2018 at 04:25 PM..
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #198
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #199
Climber
Ride to live

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 02 F4i
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post
Griezmann flopped but it wasn't a penalty kick, it was a free kick to an own-goal deflection. But yea, that first goal definitely matters, I think the last stat I saw on this was something like the first team that scores a goal wins 70% of the time. There's definitely a morale setback to getting scored on, especially since it was an own goal. Then the handball to penalty kick was even more of an emotional blow.

But yea, there's a reason I only pay attention to soccer once every 4 years. I played throughout high school and played for Southern Alameda County youth soccer league and flopping wasn't a part of the game that I played. The amount of flopping going on in the premier leagues and at world stages is personally embarrassing to me as a former soccer player. There's no pride associated with being a former soccer player, I'd rather admit to being a former rollerblader than a former soccer player.
Agreed. I respected soccer but got really turned off to soccer years ago when Spain flopped it's way to winning the world cup, I'm a purist when it comes to athletics and absolutely hate when people win through trickery and cheap tactics rather than winning through athletics.

They really need to do something about the flopping, it is a disgusting tactic that cheapens the game especially since it can be a game changer.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidentsj**NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

Hollywood depends on the suspension of disbelief. Trump depends on the suspension of critical thinking skills.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #200
Bowling4Bikes
turn 6 party crew

Contributor + BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Agreed. I respected soccer but got really turned off to soccer years ago when Spain flopped it's way to winning the world cup, I'm a purist when it comes to athletics and absolutely hate when people win through trickery and cheap tactics rather than winning through athletics.

They really need to do something about the flopping, it is a disgusting tactic that cheapens the game especially since it can be a game changer.
don't forget the one before, when Italy flopped it's way along with talking shit about people's families (Zidane) to winning the cup.

Flopping has a rich tradition. It's sad, but if they get rewarded for it instead of carded, at some point you can't blame the players for doing it.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #201
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2014 R6
Name:
Speaking of hooligans, did anyone read a report of a single incident or problem? The articles/tweets/etc I read from media seemed generally to report good behavior, return of lost wallets even, etc.

Were the hooligans being patriotic? Maybe Russia's solid performance pacified them? Russian police take no prisoners? Etc...?
jdhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #202
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowling4Bikes View Post
don't forget the one before, when Italy flopped it's way along with talking shit about people's families (Zidane) to winning the cup.

Flopping has a rich tradition. It's sad, but if they get rewarded for it instead of carded, at some point you can't blame the players for doing it.
Yeah, don't hate the playa, hate the game? Literally?

I'm surprised flopping still presents such a challenge, but same in the NBA I guess. The stakes are HUGE though, with a penalty kick. It's like a 30-point basket or something in the NBA.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #203
Climber
Ride to live

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 02 F4i
Name: Brett
Quote:

It seems like it's very heavily used in the Premier league as all of the stars from that league do it.

I really admire Neymar's skill, talent and passion but I was turned off to his flopping. I doubt Pele ever flopped.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidentsj**NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

Hollywood depends on the suspension of disbelief. Trump depends on the suspension of critical thinking skills.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #204
Bowling4Bikes
turn 6 party crew

Contributor + BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhu View Post
Yeah, don't hate the playa, hate the game? Literally?

I'm surprised flopping still presents such a challenge, but same in the NBA I guess. The stakes are HUGE though, with a penalty kick. It's like a 30-point basket or something in the NBA.
don't get me wrong, I certainly hate it. a lot. But there's literally millions of dollars on the line. Do you 100% blame them? Also to consider that the defenders are also finding grey-areas to cheat the game, such as grabbing jerseys etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
It seems like it's very heavily used in the Premier league as all of the stars from that league do it.

I really admire Neymar's skill, talent and passion but I was turned off to his flopping. I doubt Pele ever flopped.
oh it's not just the Prem. All the top clubs do it. It is a constant at all the top levels of play.

That's why I admire Messi so much. Of all the superstars, he stands out as someone who prefers to keep on his feet rather than go down. Because of it, he has made some extremely great runs where he is beating several defenders on his way to a goal or an assist.

Guys like Neymar, Robben, Greisman, etc are all great but they go to the flopping way too easily.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #205
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
The earliest date I could come up with googling around was 1974.

"Dive historians should be sure to watch a few classics. German Rudi Völler's dive against Argentina in the 1990 World Cup final is essential, as is Brazilian Rivaldo's hissy fit after getting hit with a ball during the 2002 World Cup.

According to van Mersbergen, the flop by Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen against Arsenal in 2009 is "arguably the worst dive ever." The most important dive of all time? Probably Bernd Hölzenbein's performance in the 1974 World Cup final between Germany and Holland. Hölzenbein's tumble in the box drew a penalty, which allowed the Germans to tie the game at one. (The Germans eventually prevailed 2-1.)"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...rspective.html
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #206
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Name:
Quote:
don't get me wrong, I certainly hate it. a lot. But there's literally millions of dollars on the line. Do you 100% blame them? Also to consider that the defenders are also finding grey-areas to cheat the game, such as grabbing jerseys etc.
I dislike it too, but no, I don't blame them. There's a flip side, fan and even teammate anger at perceived failure to do everything to win.

I don't know, maybe harsher penalties such as immediate yellow (no more warnings).
Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #207
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
I dislike it too, but no, I don't blame them. There's a flip side, fan and even teammate anger at perceived failure to do everything to win.

I don't know, maybe harsher penalties such as immediate yellow (no more warnings).
A second referee on the field?
Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #208
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Speaking of hooligans, did anyone read a report of a single incident or problem? The articles/tweets/etc I read from media seemed generally to report good behavior, return of lost wallets even, etc.

Were the hooligans being patriotic? Maybe Russia's solid performance pacified them? Russian police take no prisoners? Etc...?
Hmmmm, maybe Russia isn't the dangerous place that the western media projects? Could it be?
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #209
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
Hmmmm, maybe Russia isn't the dangerous place that the western media projects? Could it be?
But, the hooligans in 2016 in France, were real, right?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #210
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
But, the hooligans in 2016 in France, were real, right?
Train hooligans, evidently, are a different breed than hooligans who have to take a flight.