Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

View Poll Results: Have you served?
Yes - didn't try to get out 30 42.25%
Yes - tried to get out but failed 3 4.23%
No - tried to get out successfully 8 11.27%
No - didn't try to get out 20 28.17%
Other (explain?) 14 19.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #31
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Motorcycles: SV650S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
Next time I got called up, it was a for a child molestor. One of the selection questions was could I remain impartial even if the defendant chose not to take the stand. I apparently am the only asshole who said what we all thought and said if he doesnít want to defend himself then I think heís guilty already. Of course I was immediately dismissed.
Never served but I did have to show up for jury selection for a Federal case. I figured out that the dude (High level TSA officer) and his girlfriend were charged in human trafficking. I was asked if I could be impartial and I said that if there were minors involved, hell no. I didn't get selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Speak the truth and thy shall be set free!
Xenophonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #32
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbikeô

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Speak the truth and thy shall be set free!
Sounds good, doesn't work.

SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #33
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherearwheel View Post
Well, jury duty is another form of proof you are nothing more than a subject of the government.

It is my right to do what I want with my time......not the government telling me what I must do with my time.

I donít need to be on a jury to understand how the system works.

I donít want to waste my time listening to others problems, issues, bad behavior or whatever. Thatís is my right as a person.

Yes it is waste of my time......my time......not the governments time.

But the good, little subjects of the government will continue along, not knowing they are subjects of the government. It has been programmed in since the first day of school.
I wonder how you would feel if you went to trial. Who would you want to hear your case? Robots? Seeing how if everyone felt the way you do, there'd be nobody left to hear your case.
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #34
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: 2002 VTR
Name:
Chosen for a murder drug case in SF. Intense experience. Been called upon since then but no one wants me-neither the defense or offense.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #35
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I guess part of what I don't get is just how many people assume or play to their "automatically wouldn't be selected" stuff. Like, it can go either way usually right? What one side would want to disqualify you for is exactly why the other side would want to keep you, so...
During selection process, some losers were trying to seem overly strange or mentally damaged, so they could get dismissed.

7-8 people claimed they would be too emotionally "fraught" to hear a case in which guns had been used.

4-5 people claimed they had too many biases against black people. 1 of them insisted on talking to the judge in private about it.

A couple people claimed they were biased against the particular city the murder occurred in (Richmond).

1 guy, 40-something who looked like a generic office worker, claimed he was currently a prostitute because he was too unstable to hold a job for more than a few weeks.

And then of course there were a few who said that serving would cause a financial hardship to them. While it's true that employers aren't required to pay you during jury duty, many employers do it anyway (at least the ones you'd actually want to work for).
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #36
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbikeô

Contributor + + + 3%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
I wonder how you would feel if you went to trial. Who would you want to hear your case? Robots? Seeing how if everyone felt the way you do, there'd be nobody left to hear your case.
I'm guessing there'd be an 'I don't recognize the authority of this court to try me' bit.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #37
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children

Motorcycles: mulletmobile
Name: bobesponja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSV650 View Post
I'm guessing there'd be an 'I don't recognize the authority of this court to try me' bit.
donít taze me bro!

Support bacteria, itís the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #38
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
I have been bounced twice, not selected the others.

I'd serve.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #39
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
Never made it to trial phase. I don't mind. I find it interesting. At least I get to use my phone while I wait before getting into the court room.
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #40
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
Served on a civil case. It went too long.

I'd rather do criminal

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #41
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbikeô

Contributor + + + 3%

Name:
Quote:
And then of course there were a few who said that serving would cause a financial hardship to them. While it's true that employers aren't required to pay you during jury duty, many employers do it anyway (at least the ones you'd actually want to work for).
That is a somewhat privileged perspective.
Anywhere I've worked - and all have been supposedly high status, professional services jobs - the most they'd do is let you go negative on your PTO to cover your time on jury duty. A two month trial would mean no vacations or illnesses for at least a year.

I expect the vast majority of American workers would suffer significant if not irreparable harm living without a paycheck for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #42
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Quote:

I have only worked for one employer ever that paid for jury duty because the companyís founder is some flag waving redneck that wants to put out the image that the company supports Americans doing the right thing for America. And while yes they offer that benefit and thatís great, there is a mountain of other things that would make me never want to work for them again.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #43
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Motorcycles: Triumph scrambler, TW200
Name: # 44659
Last time was in FF, Solano County, took two days to set the jury, I wasn't picked.
After this experience with the threat of incarceration, limited parking, metal detector, jurors lounge way too small, negotiations between prosecutor and lawyers using jurors as leverage with no say right up to the last second, spoiled me on this.
Then the Scott Peterson trial, counties bidding to get the case, news crews "renting space" from the county, running up to 300 people a day for a week or two to set a jury, with all the personal hassle to appear and disappear. Money spread thick right up to jurors daily pay.

I believe there should be a "contempt of juror", some form of protection of a juror from court mishandling/abuse.

Until that happens, maybe a lawyer that represents a singular juror for duty would properly clog the court until money and abuse evens out.

rant over

Started hammerin' Honda 90's around Berryessa, Summer of Love '67

Last edited by CDONA; 07-15-2018 at 10:50 AM..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #44
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherearwheel View Post
Well, jury duty is another form of proof you are nothing more than a subject of the government.

It is my right to do what I want with my time......not the government telling me what I must do with my time.

I donít need to be on a jury to understand how the system works.

I donít want to waste my time listening to others problems, issues, bad behavior or whatever. Thatís is my right as a person.

Yes it is waste of my time......my time......not the governments time.

But the good, little subjects of the government will continue along, not knowing they are subjects of the government. It has been programmed in since the first day of school.
Sobering...
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #45
dagle
Veteran

Motorcycles: Squidzuki
Name: Silas
I was #8 on a 12 man jury for a non-violent defendant in a case involving liquor and violence and was excused by the prosecution on some funny notes that had the entire courtroom laughing.

The plaintiff's lawyer started with asking about morality and ethics and asked us individually if it was breaking the law to get your friends and loved ones out of danger (obviously it is still breaking the law). Then he asked a few questions about the circumstances that one may break the law.

He then asked the question of if any of us jurors had ever witnessed a bar fight, and went down the line of jurors individually and all of us replied no. I wasn't entirely sure what he meant so I raised my hand to ask for clarification. I asked him "Does participating count?" to which he said yeah, and obviously I had to correct my reply. Prosecution immediately wrote down a note and I was the only person she wanted off the jury
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote