Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #31
AbsolutEnduser
Dirnks lots of cofefee

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
agreed, even-while-at-home, a VPN client sure helps with identity tracking (REI ads).

you have to : a) start the VPN client, b) open a private tab on the browser.

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 07-16-2018 at 12:17 PM..
AbsolutEnduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #32
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: Wee Strom - Sold
Name: Rod
You need to be clear about whether you want to run a VPN client, or server. Serving would be one way to give others secure access to your NAS, but as noted there are other ways.

See also:

https://spreadprivacy.com/tag/device-privacy-tips/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
Amazon Prime Video will be disabled upon detecting known VPN server.
Netflix and Hulu as well, in my experience.

Last edited by rodr; 07-16-2018 at 12:06 PM..
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
GilesD

Motorcycles: Valkyrie 1500, 200 EXC
Name:
I have been using Private Internet Access for a bit over a year now. My $40/year subscription just renewed. No problem accessing this site with it on. However, for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video I need to log off the VPN if I want to watch on the laptop. Which I rarely do.
GilesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #34
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Some decent VPN recommendations and overview.

https://www.geek.com/tech/best-vpn-providers-1742965/
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #35
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV Mille, Aprilia RS250, Cagiva Mito 125
Name:
Most likely I'm going to do Nord, just need to look into the technical aspects, like should I install on router side or just individual clients.

Questions for all..my wife works from home 80% of the time and she uses a client VPN from her work laptop. If I install a VPN on the router side, will she see even more slowdown or is her client software smart enough to know the connection is already encrypted.

BTW, I just got notified my Paypal account was compromised, no idea how. Fortunately Paypal's security measures are good and nothing was stolen. I know VPN doesn't help me with that, but its just pushing me more to tie up all loose ends and make everything secure.

"A true friend stabs you in the front."

"If there's one thing that Republicans schooled in the ways of Wall Street have taught us, it's this: Don't spend money you don't have; spend money other people don't have." - Bill Mahrer

RS250 Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #36
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
If your wife runs a VPN client and you are running a VPN tunnel from your router, he tunnel will exist inside theirs. It will introduce more delay. It may or may not be noticeable, depending on what she does. Real time applications such as VoIP or video conferencing are more impacted than just interacting with web based applications for example.

California Superbike School
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #37
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
@TZ, thanks, thats what I thought

One last question, which was brought to my attention after speaking with Paypal regarding my compromised account. As we were speaking about security and how they monitor account activity, I mentioned that I may get VPN service. They responded by stating that VPN is good, but it may pose problems for myself in the future if the account is again compromised. Since my identity would be anonymous, they have no idea how to filter good/bad access. Thus if something is stolen from the account, I may be screwed and out of money. They didn't exactly say it in those words, but that's the general vibe I got.

Makes me wonder if other financial institutions would treat it in that manner too.

"If there's one thing that Republicans schooled in the ways of Wall Street have taught us, it's this: Don't spend money you don't have; spend money other people don't have." - Bill Mahrer

Old 07-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS250 Chester View Post
One last question, which was brought to my attention after speaking with Paypal regarding my compromised account. As we were speaking about security and how they monitor account activity, I mentioned that I may get VPN service. They responded by stating that VPN is good, but it may pose problems for myself in the future if the account is again compromised. Since my identity would be anonymous, they have no idea how to filter good/bad access. Thus if something is stolen from the account, I may be screwed and out of money. They didn't exactly say it in those words, but that's the general vibe I got.
That sounds a little odd to me. Your identity is not established by the IP address or location you connect from; it's established by your login credentials and other security related info they have on file. A VPN connection will not prevent them from authenticating you, but they won't be able to associate your login with an IP address. That shouldn't be a big deal, as most of us have IP addresses that change periodically anyway. It's more likely that they leave a cookie on your computer and can tell from one time to the next that you're logging on with a device you normally log in with.

If you're concerned about the account being compromised you can tighen the security considerably by enabling two factor authentication (2FA) on your account: How to do that

Old 07-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #39
UDRider
Leftist apologist.

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit, and makes no sense. What they said us that somehow your identity is tied to your IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #40
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
That sounds a little odd to me. Your identity is not established by the IP address or location you connect from; it's established by your login credentials and other security related info they have on file. ]
Yes and no according to their security rep. The perp accessed my account through the paypal website with my login credentials. Red flags started to appear when their IP address didn't match any of my known login locations based on the profile they had built on my account. Their IP address was different and it didn't have any of the known markers used by either my mobile or internet service providers I've historically used. They also noticed that the PC being used was as not one that I have accessed in the past, so more red flags were raised. When the perp tried to transfer money from my linked bank account to my Paypal account, it was blocked by Paypal based on all the red flags that were raised.

Basically they said, the perp passed the 1st stage by having my login credentials. But, flags were immediately raised cuz the perps IP wasn't aligning with my profile. With that said, they went on to say the VPN is good, but it will run counter to their profile system.

Thanks for the 2-step verification, I will look into that.

Last edited by RS250 Chester; 07-27-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Old 07-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #41
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS250 Chester View Post
Red flags started to appear when their IP address didn't match any of my known login locations based on the profile they had built on my account. Their IP address was different and it didn't have any of the known markers used by either my mobile or internet service providers I've historically used. They also noticed that the PC being used was as not one that I have accessed in the past, so more red flags were raised.
I can see all this being true. It makes a little more sense for them to track the PC with more weight than the IP address because IP addresses change from time to time, unless you have a fixed IP on your home Internet service. Most people don't. The combination of different computer and different IP would be significant.

That said, it's probable that your external IP will change a lot more often from behind a VPN than it does on your home Internet service.

BTW, sorry you're going though this.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #42
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:

BTW, sorry you're going though this.
Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Since this was not a debit card scam, I now have to find where the leak on our PC's is coming from. All the devices are scanned regularly for virus and malware, nothing has ever shown up. I'm guessing I have to do a deeper scan.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #43
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

What have you used to scan the system with?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #44
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
If you're concerned about people getting into your accounts via phishing or other mailcious means, set up 2FA on everything you can.

I use Google Authenticator and a Yubikey.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #45
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:
What have you used to scan the system with?
Sadly, not often enough. Probably once a month. Basic scans are daily. But nothing has ever shown up with either scans.