Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #29221
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
so, the 300BO and 458 can both be fired subsonic? Since that caps out at, what, 1100 ft/s, then, "of course" the 458 is going to have better terminal performance. 115gr for 300BO vs 300gr for 458, both traveling at the same velocity. 308 ft/lbs for the 300 vs 805 for the 458.

Ouchies.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #29222
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I hadn't heard of 458 subs. I guess they are a thing, though.

You have the weights significantly off: typical 300BO subs are in the range of 190-220gr while 458 subs appear to be 450-550 (with a few as high as 600). pretty similar ratio vs what you were looking at, just higher numbers.

300 subs have terminal ballistics not too far above 45acp.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #29223
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I hadn't heard of 458 subs. I guess they are a thing, though.

You have the weights significantly off: typical 300BO subs are in the range of 190-220gr while 458 subs appear to be 450-550 (with a few as high as 600). pretty similar ratio vs what you were looking at, just higher numbers.
I spent a solid 10s on google to get those numbers.

Just so you know I put in the effort, and all.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #29224
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

those weights are about right for supersonic loads
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #29225
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: No Mo 1998 S3 Buell No Mo 900SS
Name: Ken
Quote:
lowers aren't AWs so they transfer like any firearm
Thanks for the clarification.
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #29226
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FZ09
Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
I will ask and see if anyone has any info on the 458. 300BO tables should be easy to find, but knowing the guys on the forum they will say get a 458.

To me the 300BO would be my choice for subsonic shooting other than that I have other calibers that work for me.

What are you looking to use it for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
Hey NorCal I had forgotten about the 300 vs. 458 but I did get two hits on my thread in the other forum. I think this post sums it up the best. The guy that posted this is very heavy into wildcats and tries almost every new cartridge that comes so I believe he has a bunch of good knowledge. Hope it helps.

Well if you are comparing subsonic rounds there is no difference in trajectory between the two rounds or the barrel lengths. I you are talking supersonic, they both have limited range and don't have great ballistics but any calculator can show that. But the 300BO is not comparable to the 458 when considering terminal performance. My 300BO is anemic.
I was thinking an AR pistol chambered in either would be a good wildlife carry hiking in any areas with large predators. I mean Iíve seen the video of the dude snowmobiling taking out a moose with his Glock but methinks a .458 would do better against a bear or mountain lion. Friendís got a place out in Colorado and Iíve got some friends up in Washington out in the mountains. I wouldnít really need it around the Bay Area I donít think. Glock is enough for the smaller cougars here.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #29227
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat

youtu.be/n6Lyeeq17fY
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #29228
Dubbington
Slamdunk Champion

Contributor

Motorcycles: EX Street Triple ;(
Name: Dubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
so, the 300BO and 458 can both be fired subsonic? Since that caps out at, what, 1100 ft/s, then, "of course" the 458 is going to have better terminal performance. 115gr for 300BO vs 300gr for 458, both traveling at the same velocity. 308 ft/lbs for the 300 vs 805 for the 458.

Ouchies.
115gr wont do well for subs in a blackout. Thats a nice and accurate 2600 fps super weight bullet. Subs in a blackout will be 190gr or more. Many run 230gr at 1100-1200 fps.

And at that low velocity, you can run cast bullets in a blackout if lubed correctly. I've done it's pretty sweet. Didn't shoot enough to determine accuracy and load development.

Pic of 230gr cast blackout, pretty sweet looking!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Quote:
Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns, so don't buy that malarkey. Ö I've got two, if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he's got a problem. -Biden
Dubbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #29229
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I was thinking an AR pistol chambered in either would be a good wildlife carry hiking in any areas with large predators. I mean Iíve seen the video of the dude snowmobiling taking out a moose with his Glock but methinks a .458 would do better against a bear or mountain lion. Friendís got a place out in Colorado and Iíve got some friends up in Washington out in the mountains. I wouldnít really need it around the Bay Area I donít think. Glock is enough for the smaller cougars here.
Have you thought about maybe using a 10mm handgun. I know a lot of people use them to hunt?

Also from the other forum.

I am a huge fan of the .458 SOCOM and just finished building a 6.5 inch for subsonic use. It willl toss a 400 gr. Barnes Buster or a 500 gr. Hornady DGX bullet at a Quick Load predicted velocity of 1050 fps with a 25.5 gr. Charge of H110, COAL of 2.116Ē for the 400 gr bullet at 22000 psi and 2.250Ē for the 500 gr bullet at 32000 psi. Both have function tested fine with a .093 gas port at pistol length and a H3 buffer, standard spring.

Since the only way to get more oomph out of a subsonic bullet is to increase weight, the .458 is a pretty good choice, but the down side of these loads are that neither bullet will expand and the muzzle blast of both is damned near cataclysmic.

Also, if you get right down to numbers, the muzzle energy of even the 500 gr. bullet is pretty damned anemic, only 1200 ft-lbs at the muzzle. Unless one uses a bullet that will expand at subsonic velocities, like Maker bullets, these short barreled subsonic cartridges are not going to stop anything in its tracks short of a CNS hit. The penetration is great and the use of a flat nosed bullet, like the Barnes Buster, do impart more energy transfer to the target, and they smack steel with authority, but steel isnít a soft tissue game animal and IMO one needs expansion to make a quick clean kill. Frankly, I am not real impressed with any of these subsonic loads in any caliber.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #29230
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Motorcycles: give me wood
Name: Shaniqua
Hmm, .458 SOCOM sounds very interesting for pig hunting. Can i legally own a .458 SOCOM upper in CA? and can I legally attach it to my CA compliant featureless AR15 lower if i want to switch calibers?
Lester Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #29231
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

It's just like any other centerfire upper. If you don't have a flash hider on it, you can use it on your featureless lower.

The one potential issue is magazines: a 10rd 458 mag will work as a 30rd 5.56 mag.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #29232
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Quote:
It's just like any other centerfire upper. If you don't have a flash hider on it, you can use it on your featureless lower.

The one potential issue is magazines: a 10rd 458 mag will work as a 30rd 5.56 mag.
perfect. thanks.
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #29233
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Quote:

Am i allowed to put a pistol size upper (8") as long as it doesn't have a flash suppressor on a lower that prev had a rifle size (16") upper on it? I thought i read somewhere that that was not allowed.

One other thing, are muzzle brakes allowed or do they consider that the same evil thing?

Last edited by Lester Green; Today at 02:01 PM..