Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 08-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #16
MarktheShark
Gear head on 2 wheels

Motorcycles: 2004 Ex250, 2001 GSF1200s Suzuki Bandit Current: 2001 Sv650s
Name: Marco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I'm curious if you might have been able to ride it out in the dirt and keep from going down. Clearly you want to be light on the front brake at that point. If the dirt is smooth enough there do you think you might have saved it?
After reading and hearing multiple similar stories, i'm confident it was the rear end that was getting wobbly on me, it just seemed like the front, since it all happened so quickly. Just wanted to clear that up since I said the front on my original post.

To answer your question, yes, I think I absolutely could have rode it out, had I had the idea of "dirt = no brakes" in my head, all I had to do was let go of the brakes and probably even add a tiny bit throttle to drive my way back on to the track. I had successfully bled off most of my speed when I stood her up and braked hard, I was going about 20/25mph when I hit the dirt, I think it was totally save-able lol I honestly thought I had it, surprised me when it went down, I was already preparing to jump the tiny dirt hill that was in front of me, but I never even got that far.

I'll tell you what, not gonna forget that shit ever again. I will always remember this fall when I think of riding on the dirt lol

Last edited by MarktheShark; 08-20-2018 at 07:06 PM..
MarktheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarktheShark View Post
I should probably do that, I guess since i'm red lining off the straight before I hit my brakes, I guess I feel like the engine would blow up if I downshifted while braking from redline, but it should be fine since I'm reducing engine speed by braking. I'm just so focused on getting my speed down for that concrete triangle that I forget about downshifting on that turn, that way I would only have one more down shift for the next turn. Seems like the smarter way, I just need to consciously think about it for the end of that straight.
As soon as you back off the throttle, your speed drops precipitously on a V twin, as do the rpms. In the many years I rode SVs, I never worried about that scenario. Go to brakes and immediately start downshifting.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #18
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarktheShark View Post
I hear you on the slipper clutch, But I need to perfect that smooth clutch release, work on my race craft. I need to work on it. So no slipper clutches for me anytime soon.
Do you know how to blip the throttle on downshifts to match revs? As time goes by, between slipper clutches and auto-blippers, this skill will become unnecessary, but it's important on your current setup.

Also, where were you in relation to your turn point when you let the clutch out after the second shift?

California Superbike School
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #19
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
Do you know how to blip the throttle on downshifts to match revs? As time goes by, between slipper clutches and auto-blippers, this skill will become unnecessary, but it's important on your current setup.

Also, where were you in relation to your turn point when you let the clutch out after the second shift?
The important question was asked there.