Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by iehawk View Post

I wouldn't put any number as how far a rider should go between. That might add a legality problem to the website.

I have found that the 2-in gap on each side is too narrow and I doubt many of us do it that narrow. The gap will always feel narrower at moving speed. A 2-in gap is something I would go through by walking the bike.

As far as going viral, I think the best way is through us... talking to non-riders, showing the sticker, the website, have it on our license plate frame, etc. Also by doing it properly, setting a good example, so that people out there know that it can be safe when done right.
The numbers quoted are directly from the CHP guidelines. And thanks to everyone who shares the site.
Surj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #32
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Perhaps we can get some GoPro footage of someone sharing/splitting safely and post it with a title of and/or link to the site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
Killer idea! And if you're commenting on any articles about this, a link would be killer too.
Okay, BARFers... Who has some positive GoPro vids of lane splitting that they can share for the edification of drivers?
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....

BARF Admin / 2010 Barfie Winner
Founding Member
Contributor +++++++++++ BB

Motorcycles: ~ 09 BMW RT1200P ~ 05 FJR1300 ~
Name: Lincoln 82
Thank you

Looking for a great dog? I raise Vizslas. PM for info. Next litter due in November.www.ddranchvizslas.com
silversvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #34
SyndicatedDeath
Wild calamari

Motorcycles: 2012 R6
Name: JoDADDY!
Quote:
Okay, BARFers... Who has some positive GoPro vids of lane splitting that they can share for the edification of drivers?
Wouldn't that ride apart video be good?

youtu.be/JNGD9AAIfFU
SyndicatedDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
ircsmith
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ulysses, GSXR450, RVF428, RVF400, GoPed strung out on Lithium
Name:
personally I think the logo is fine the way it is. I would put the words "Is Legal" across the bottom. I would be up for two car size stickers. say 4-5 inches a side? and one bike size sticker.

Nice work by the way and thanks!
Evolution MotorcyclesAmsoil

and the great deals from ,Motion Pro, Motomummy, For the Track
ircsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #36
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversvs View Post
Thank you
No, thank YOU. And Budman, and everyone else involved in getting the CHP guidelines out. AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyndicatedDeath View Post
Wouldn't that ride apart video be good?

youtu.be/JNGD9AAIfFU
That one is actually already on the site, in the news section. I'll add it to the resources & links page as well, which is really just a skeleton right now. I may add this video to the home page - it's a good one.

I want to say thanks again for all the sharing and feedback that's going on. I launched the site really quickly and didn't exactly plan the way I would for a normal project. (I'm an ecommerce/online marketing guy) So I think there are some issues with the information architecture - I've been thinking in particular what CannonFodder said about the two audiences, and how I can craft the navigation to cater more directly to those and thus expose more of the right information to visitors based on their interests and intent.

I've also been thinking a lot about the feedback on the road sign graphic and sticker designs. My lovely wife did the design and is working on some tweaks - as soon as we nail that down I'll be doing a run of at least 1,000 stickers to pass out at events and hopefully shops. At that point, I'll also post a link to a page to get a stickers in exchange for a BARF donation.

I also added a Facebook page last night, for those who prefer to follow updates there. It's at https://www.facebook.com/Lanesplittingislegal All new content, stickers, etc will also be posted there.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #37
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2014 R6
Name:
Yeah nice site! Good shiz.
jdhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
EQPlayer
Straight roads are evil

Motorcycles: 2009 DL650
Name:
Also spread the word on other m/c sites, like SBR, ADV, Pashnit, etc.

Can't see your site now (at work, it's blocked ) but I'll check it out tonight.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
Abyss
Anhedonia

Motorcycles: Powered by Super Eurobeat
Name: Rydah
You should sell patches and stickers with that logo on it. Would be cool to have a giant back patch with that to remind the cagers as I go past them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
First of all, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck speed laws, fuck all speed limits always.
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #40
KTMoore
Rookie

Motorcycles: lots
Name:
1) Nice site - clean and to the point.

2) I'd be awesome to have a 70's-style PSA on TV with some mid-level celebrity, complete with soft focus.

3) While lane splitting in the Bay Area can be tough, it is nothing compared to LA. There they close in and try to squish you.
KTMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #41
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
This article from the Los Angeles Times and the video that they have put with it looks pretty good for the car drivers to read and watch. It doesn't make any unsupportable claims about safety and the splitting speed seems reasonable.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3665468.story
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
This article from the Los Angeles Times and the video that they have put with it looks pretty good for the car drivers to read and watch. It doesn't make any unsupportable claims about safety and the splitting speed seems reasonable.

And a follow-up from yesterday with reader reaction: Revved up about motorcycles zooming between cars.

For any Angelenos out there, Doug Smith is the son of the late Times columnist Jack Smith. Jack was to Los Angeles as Herb Caen was to San Francisco.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #43
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhu View Post
Yeah nice site! Good shiz.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
Also spread the word on other m/c sites, like SBR, ADV, Pashnit, etc.

Definitely - feel free to post it around, too. I'm not as active on other forums but plan to slowly post it out on these if it doesn't get their organically. I'm already seeing links from other moto forums, which is awesome!

Can't see your site now (at work, it's blocked ) but I'll check it out tonight.
Hah! Must be all the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
You should sell patches and stickers with that logo on it. Would be cool to have a giant back patch with that to remind the cagers as I go past them
There are a few stickers here. I'll make an announcement when I have a batch to give away. Patches are a good idea, too. LaneSplitters MC FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMoore View Post
1) Nice site - clean and to the point.

2) I'd be awesome to have a 70's-style PSA on TV with some mid-level celebrity, complete with soft focus.

3) While lane splitting in the Bay Area can be tough, it is nothing compared to LA. There they close in and try to squish you.
Thank you! I wish I had the budget for TV. Maybe we could get Brad Pitt - he rides, yeah?

Folks have tried to squish me here too!

Last edited by Surj; 01-30-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #44
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
And a follow-up from yesterday with reader reaction: Revved up about motorcycles zooming between cars.

For any Angelenos out there, Doug Smith is the son of the late Times columnist Jack Smith. Jack was to Los Angeles as Herb Caen was to San Francisco.
Thanks for the tips, Scott and Dan. Those are both already in the news section - I'm putting up everything decent I can as I find it.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #45
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
If you get a sticker going that reads lane splitting is legal instead of just the logo id would put one on my cage. I think the text would do more to notify people than the logo alone.

Buy my take offs you FOOLS!
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=531628
R3DS!X is online now   Reply With Quote