Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #46
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
This is from the San Diego Union Tribune yesterday, Scared to death of lane splitting:
The other day, I was cruising in free-flow traffic on Interstate 215 in Menifee and a motorcycle blew past -- and through -- the line of cars at 100 mph.

And that's no exaggeration. The biker might have been going faster.

Of course, as we all know, or should know, lane splitting is perfectly legal in California, even if it is not elsewhere in the country.

The maneuver seems to be handled relatively safely, most of the time, during rush hour. Commuting riders work their way through traffic slowly and methodically, straddling lane lines as cars and trucks on either side lurch forward a few feet at a time.

But there are other times when traffic is rolling along and riders roar by as if the lead car doing 80 mph in the fast lane is standing still.
The BARF reaction to "that's no exaggeration" would be "Oh bullshit!"

But then there's this news article from last week about a crash on the very same freeway, Motorcyclist Survives Injuries in I-215 Crash:
CHP's preliminary investigation revealed [the rider] was traveling at speeds greater than 100 mph on his 2006 Suzuki GSXR, splitting between lanes when his right mirror struck the side of a big rig, according to the report.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
If you get a sticker going that reads lane splitting is legal instead of just the logo id would put one on my cage. I think the text would do more to notify people than the logo alone.
I agree 100%! I actually have both, and there are more versions to come. Conveying that message through text and simple URL was the primary goal of the site. The road sign graphic turned out so cool that I want to do some designs with that as well.

Go here to check out the current batch of stickers.

Here are two of them. They link to the page to get 'em, if you're so inclined.

Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #48
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
This is from the San Diego Union Tribune yesterday, Scared to death of lane splitting:
The other day, I was cruising in free-flow traffic on Interstate 215 in Menifee and a motorcycle blew past -- and through -- the line of cars at 100 mph.

And that's no exaggeration. The biker might have been going faster.

Of course, as we all know, or should know, lane splitting is perfectly legal in California, even if it is not elsewhere in the country.

The maneuver seems to be handled relatively safely, most of the time, during rush hour. Commuting riders work their way through traffic slowly and methodically, straddling lane lines as cars and trucks on either side lurch forward a few feet at a time.

But there are other times when traffic is rolling along and riders roar by as if the lead car doing 80 mph in the fast lane is standing still.
The BARF reaction to "that's no exaggeration" would be "Oh bullshit!"

But then there's this news article from last week about a crash on the very same freeway, Motorcyclist Survives Injuries in I-215 Crash:
CHP's preliminary investigation revealed [the rider] was traveling at speeds greater than 100 mph on his 2006 Suzuki GSXR, splitting between lanes when his right mirror struck the side of a big rig, according to the report.
Interesting. I commented on that article yesterday and linked to Laneshare.org, my site and the CHP guidelines. I guess they took down my comment. Bummer.

I didn't put that article on the site because I felt it was pretty slanted and not really "news" - but maybe I need to be thinking "lane splitting in the news" versus "lane splitting news." What do you think?

I do see the occasional asshattery in my commute, but the majority of riders I see seem to be going above and beyond to be good representatives of the community. I had an interesting conversation with someone on Facebook yesterday, though, in which the other party said 99% of the bikes and scooters he encounters in LA are splitting "recklessly."
Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
DaveT319
Marquez FTW

AMA #: #1066508
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 95/05 Vulcan 750
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
I didn't put that article on the site because I felt it was pretty slanted and not really "news" - but maybe I need to be thinking "lane splitting in the news" versus "lane splitting news." What do you think?
Good idea. This was not an article; it was editorial commentary. An article is supposed to be unbiased; this clearly was not. As such, it has no place in your site, which I would say is meant to educate with facts, not rhetoric.

I always feel a bit guilty after a good ride. Like I should go in my house, turn off all the lights, and hide behind the couch and giggle my ass off! - Brown81

Rest in peace Miri
DaveT319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #50
Tydive
Rides every day

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: '13 V-Strom 650
Name: Ty
Very cool, thank you for doing this.

I've been slowing down my lane splitting speeds now that there is an official policy. The faster I go the more those cages look like cones...
Tydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #51
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
I'm not saying it should be on the site, which is promoting lane-splitting, not trying to present an unbiased view.

But I think the Union-Tribune writer did a good job presenting both sides. He offered his own observations, negative and positive. He quoted a transplanted Chicagoan who is terrified by it. And he quoted an advocate who made a positive case for splitting when it's done sensibly.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #52
clutchslip
Nemo me impune lacessit

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Thank you so much for your efforts. It humbles me, as I have been lax in my community service, lately.

As indicated by this thread, and some barf discussions, there are those who simply will make your efforts more difficult by their irresponsible actions. Do not be discourage by the few. And don't let nit-picking about your site make you second guess your efforts. Those reactions are common "human nature". You are doing well. Thank you, again.

Last edited by clutchslip; 01-30-2013 at 06:48 PM..
clutchslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #53
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
I'm not saying it should be on the site, which is promoting lane-splitting, not trying to present an unbiased view.

But I think the Union-Tribune writer did a good job presenting both sides. He offered his own observations, negative and positive. He quoted a transplanted Chicagoan who is terrified by it. And he quoted an advocate who made a positive case for splitting when it's done sensibly.
Agreed. But the thing that bothered me about that piece was the title was so slanted - it wasn't representative of the overall content.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #54
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydive View Post
Very cool, thank you for doing this.

I've been slowing down my lane splitting speeds now that there is an official policy. The faster I go the more those cages look like cones...
Hah! I find that towards the end of the week I need to make more of an effort to mellow out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
Thank you so much for your efforts. It humbles me, as I have been lax in my community service, lately.

As indicated by this thread, and some barf discussions, there are those who simply will make you efforts more difficult by their irresponsible actions. Do not be discourage by the fews. And don't let nit-picking about your site make you second guess your efforts. Those reactions are common "human nature". You are doing well. Thank you, again.
Thank you!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....

BARF Admin / 2010 Barfie Winner
Founding Member
Contributor +++++++++++ BB

Motorcycles: ~ 09 BMW RT1200P ~ 05 FJR1300 ~
Name: Lincoln 82
And now you can add that the California Office of Traffic Safety is supporting the effort

Just launched today

http://www.ots.ca.gov/lanesplittingg...guidelines.pdf

Looking for a great dog? I raise Vizslas. PM for info. Next litter due in November.www.ddranchvizslas.com
silversvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #56
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversvs View Post
And now you can add that the California Office of Traffic Safety is supporting the effort

Just launched today

http://www.ots.ca.gov/lanesplittingg...guidelines.pdf
AWESOME. I'm in the process of moving the site to a burlier server, but I'll this in the morning. Super cool!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #57
Stormdragon
Still Good Lookin'

Contributor +++ artist and BB

Motorcycles: XT600, ZX636, KR250, RS90
Name: El Diablo
Quote:
He quoted a transplanted Chicagoan who is terrified by it.
He, (and other drivers) are terrified by it because they aren't paying attention! Suddenly a bike appears 'out of nowhere' going 'way too fast' and the adrenaline kicks in. (It'd help if we bikers stuck with quieter pipes too, but that's a well-worn discussion around here)

I am hoping that informing car drivers that lane splitsharefiltering is legal, will also get the thought of motorcycles actually existing in real space and time onto their radar so they start looking and paying attention.

Damn, I sound grumpy this morning.

Dirt, diesel, or deer. You've got to plan for the unexpected.

---Me
Stormdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #58
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quick update - I've been slammed with "real work" and haven't gotten a mass sticker order in. Hoping to get that dialed in the next couple days. But tonight I got home to this - my wife had some fridge magnets made and put 'em on the garage door.

My wife is awesome. PM me if you want a fridge magnet.

Here's a shot of the 3x3 stickers from the CafePress store. They're a bit small but look decent.

The white borders aren't part of the sticker. You can get 'em here.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #59
Stormdragon
Still Good Lookin'

Contributor +++ artist and BB

Motorcycles: XT600, ZX636, KR250, RS90
Name: El Diablo
Quote:
But tonight I got home to this - my wife had some fridge magnets made and put 'em on the garage door.
She's just trying to remind you that Valentines Day is 10 days away. Hope you planned something awesome.

Dirt, diesel, or deer. You've got to plan for the unexpected.

---Me
Stormdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #60
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdragon View Post
She's just trying to remind you that Valentines Day is 10 days away. Hope you planned something awesome.
Of course!