Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
rivetgirl

Motorcycles: Harley Davidson Superlow
Name:
Safest Motorcycle Helmet You Can Buy

Hey again! I'm new to BARF and new to the bay area so i've spent most of my time on this forum pretty much asking questions - where to ride, cool spots along the way - but i've got a slightly different q this time.

I should preface this by saying that I am a contributing blog writer for a local motorcycle lawyers blog and in the effort to try and spice up his content I wrote an article on three helmets i think are the safest. I based my decisions on the recommendations of other riders in combo with the different rating systems for helmets and crash statistics (so boring).

So my question here is a two parter. I would love to get peoples insights into my three choices, pros/cons and any other feelings you've got about the products. The second part of my question, is for a WOMAN (i'm about 5'1, and no hamburglar sized head), which type (perhaps one i havent chosen) would you recommend for ME.

Besides wondering if i'm totally off-base with the three i've chosen - i am actually looking for a new helmet now as fate would have it.

My three choices:
1. Arai Corsair
2. Shoei x-twleve
3. Shark Race-R

Thanks for reading - sorry for being so long-winded!
rivetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
spdt509
Veteran

AMA #: 817931
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 98 triumph speed triple
Name: jake ryan
you left three very important factors: budget,head shape and comfort. the only way to really know what works for you is try them on and sit on a bike in the riding position. you'll be surprised by the difference of the weight and field of view from one helmet to the next....
spdt509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
sv2007
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Majesty YP400
Name:
fit is really important. Try each helmet and pick the one that fits the best.

When I started to ride, a friend told me get an Arai, so I bought a Quantum 2 and promptly crash tested it after 2 months. It was a small , very low speed crash but I blacked out because I don't think the helmet fitted me very well. I then crash tested 2 Shoei Rf1000s at much higher speeds and came out much better because they fit. Needless to say, I'm now on a shoei rf1100.

So, find the right fit is very important. And, if you are new, you may not be able to figure out the right fit by yourself. I don't think I know what was a good fit until I wore the rf1000 (second helmet) for awhile (like a few months).

Oh, I should add that had the right-colored Arai been on sale instead of the Shoei, I probably would have replaced my quamtum 2 with another quantum 2 and may never have figured out that it didn't fit me well.
sv2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
RaptorFA
EarShplitinloudenboomer

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: Dennis
I know, me too. As much as I love Arai lids they just don't fit my head. I am told I have a Shoei head. I must because the RF-1100 fit like a glove. Now I have the RF-1100 and a NeoTech. I didn't get the X-12 because I am more of an upright tour rider and don't really spend much time in the tuck position. Of the two, I trust the RF-1100 the most.

I have no doubt the Arai will perform just as well on a rider that it fits well on. I think fit is absolutely key. Don't have any experience with the Shark, so I cannot comment on that one.
RaptorFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
lam@barf
cage killer

Location: global surveys say - the most dangerous country on earth
Motorcycles: Naked
Name:
Doesn't matter how the helmet rates, if it doesn't fit you right the protection won't be where you need it. You have to try them on and spend a bit of time in each. Arai can be a good place to start just because they do make three shapes. The drawback is if you go somewhere they don't know how to fit an Arai you could end up with absolutely the wrong helmet. (ask me how I know)

Even so that's just to start off. Take your time and find what works for you. That's a question no one else can answer. Good luck.

. . . . . . . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an SocialyTransferedDisfunction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR70 View Post
You need to get out of California more
2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville Mag
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel - KBC Mar 2010
http://flexyourrights.org
lam@barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
For me personally, any helmet that meets the Snell standard is "safe enough". And before someone jumps in saying that some other standard is better than Snell, yes, that may be true for smaller sizes, but not for the XL that I need.

I happen to like Shoei and have even crash tested one of them. It would be very difficult to come up with a crash scenario where you would die with one particular helmet meeting the Snell standard but would survive with a different one.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Tim-That CX Guy
Resident Window Licker

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: CX650 Eurosport, CX500
Name:
Read "Blowing the Lid Off" from 2005.

Blowing_the_Lid_Off

Make your decision from there.
It's an older article, but very informative.

Z1R makes a fantastic, and inexpensive helmet.
Don't fall into the "how much is your head worth" hype.
You don't have to spend assinine amounts of money to have your head well protected.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
joespeedfast
WTF LOL

Motorcycles: wHookers and Blow!
Name: Juliojuanv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-That CX Guy View Post
Read "Blowing the Lid Off" from 2005.

Blowing_the_Lid_Off

Make your decision from there.
It's an older article, but very informative.

Z1R makes a fantastic, and inexpensive helmet.
Don't fall into the "how much is your head worth" hype.
You don't have to spend assinine amounts of money to have your head well protected.
BINGO! Winnar/thread.
Unfortunately, this is the last time anyone has done any thourough and extensive/un-biased and objective reality-based helmet test and it is therefore, the gospel, to this day.
Popularity and price have absolutely nothing to do with what is best.

Last edited by joespeedfast; 01-29-2013 at 04:44 PM..
joespeedfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati ST4
Name:
I seriously doubt there is much difference in how safe various full-face, Snell rated helmets are. All helmets work the same way (based on the same principles), so the safest helmet would be one that has the thickest shock-absorbing styrofoam. And as far as I can tell, all full-face helmets have styrofoam of roughly the same thickness.

The difference between helmets of different prices is mostly in features unrelated to safety - ventilation, face shield mechanism, removable liners, etc.
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
lam@barf
cage killer

Location: global surveys say - the most dangerous country on earth
Motorcycles: Naked
Name:
Kali Protectives is working on a new dual liner system.

http://kaliprotectives.com/moto/fusion-tech/

. . . . . . . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an SocialyTransferedDisfunction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR70 View Post
You need to get out of California more
2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville Mag
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel - KBC Mar 2010
http://flexyourrights.org
lam@barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
sbiker73
Registered Abuser

Contributor

Motorcycles: 07' CBR1000rr, 00' honda shadow vt750, 85' Yamaha XT350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefood View Post
I seriously doubt there is much difference in how safe various full-face, Snell rated helmets are. All helmets work the same way (based on the same principles), so the safest helmet would be one that has the thickest shock-absorbing styrofoam. And as far as I can tell, all full-face helmets have styrofoam of roughly the same thickness.

The difference between helmets of different prices is mostly in features unrelated to safety - ventilation, face shield mechanism, removable liners, etc.
Snell and DOT certs are based on different types of crash profiles. Helmets are usually made to pass either test but manufacturing one that will pass both should speak to the build quality. I've owned many helmets and my Arai is light years beyond some of the crap I have owned.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
sbiker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
corndog67
Pissant Squid

Motorcycles: KTM 950 SM Weapon
Name: Robert
$10 head, $10 helmet. That is true. The difference between an $80 Chinese helmet and a $500 Arai is how they are made. Look at what the racers wear, none wear the junk helmets. None.

The safest helmet is a Suburban.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Look at what the racers wear, none wear the junk helmets. None.
Spies wears HJC.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati ST4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiker73 View Post
Snell and DOT certs are based on different types of crash profiles. Helmets are usually made to pass either test but manufacturing one that will pass both should speak to the build quality. I've owned many helmets and my Arai is light years beyond some of the crap I have owned.
Every helmet sold in the US has to meet DOT requirements, and most full-face helmets meet Snell requirements, which is why I mentioned Snell-certified helmets. (Although many people believe that the Snell certification leads to helmets that actually deliver more force to the head in an impact than, say, EC-certified helmets. But that's a separate topic.)

I totally agree that your Arai is a much better helmet than a cheapo helmet, but it's better because of its features and general quality, totally unrelated to how safe the helmet is. If your head hits the pavement in the Arai vs. in a cheaper Snell-certified helmet, the results are going to be pretty much the same. The big difference is that the Arai is going to be much more comfortable to wear, quieter, lighter, better ventilated, etc. But it won't be safer.
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
RaptorFA
EarShplitinloudenboomer

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
Spies wears HJC.
And now Lorenzo. The new RPHA 10 Looks to be pretty good; I doubt either one of those guys would wear it if they didn't believe that it would do the job. I gotta wonder though; I tried the RPHA Max Modular at the IMS and the thing was a joke! It felt like a toy and you could tell that the moving parts didn't have a chance in hell of lasting more than a couple of months. No way in hell I would trust that thing to protect me.

I'm going to assume that the RPHA 10 is a better build and uses different materials.

Last edited by RaptorFA; 01-29-2013 at 05:56 PM..
RaptorFA is offline   Reply With Quote