Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #61
littlebeast
get it while it's easy
 
littlebeast's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFBA
Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
ďWhere there's life, there's hope.Ē ― Stephen Hawking

the man was one of the finest human beings that ever lived.

Rest In Peace Stephen

__________________
ďYou see, a dog growls when itís angry, and wags its tail when itís pleased. I growl when Iím pleased, and wag my tail when Iím angry." - Cheshire Cat
littlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #62
johnkol
Veteran
 
johnkol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Union City
Motorcycles: Bultaco
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
the man was one of the finest human beings that ever lived.
It sounds like you knew him personally; if that is indeed the case, then I defer to your superior knowledge.

From what I personally know though, your opinion differs from reality.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #63
littlebeast
get it while it's easy
 
littlebeast's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFBA
Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
It sounds like you knew him personally; if that is indeed the case, then I defer to your superior knowledge.

From what I personally know though, your opinion differs from reality.
if your aim is to disparage him, don’t be coy. state your reasons. and i say that as someone who disagreed with him on certain points. but be that as it may, i stand by what i said.
__________________
ďYou see, a dog growls when itís angry, and wags its tail when itís pleased. I growl when Iím pleased, and wag my tail when Iím angry." - Cheshire Cat

Last edited by littlebeast; 03-15-2018 at 10:41 PM..
littlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #64
johnkol
Veteran
 
johnkol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Union City
Motorcycles: Bultaco
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
if your aim is to disparage him, don’t be coy.
I wish no such thing. Although I had met him a few times in a professional environment (we both worked in roughly the same fields), I never communicated with him, so I have no personal knowledge of his personality. However, I know a couple of his close collaborators quite well, and this is where my information comes from.

My question was about your extraordinary assessment about him; how can you possibly make such a statement about an individual without any personal knowledge of such individual?

Last edited by johnkol; 03-16-2018 at 12:40 AM..
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #65
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies
 
Abacinator's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Martinez
Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I wish no such thing. Although I had met him a few times in a professional environment (we both worked in roughly the same fields), I never communicated with him, so I have no personal knowledge of his personality. However, I know a couple of his close collaborators quite well, and this is where my information comes from.

My question was about your extraordinary assessment about him; how can you possibly make such a statement about an individual without any personal knowledge of such individual?
Why shit on the thread?
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #66
johnkol
Veteran
 
johnkol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Union City
Motorcycles: Bultaco
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Why shit on the thread?
Let me turn the question around and ask why you feel the need to heap adulation on a person you never knew at a personal level, and whose work you have no way of evaluating?
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #67
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies
 
Abacinator's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Martinez
Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
See previous comment
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #68
Eldritch
is insensitive
 
Eldritch's Avatar
 
Top Percent Poster

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Nifelheim
Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
There is decorum to be observed for RIP threads.
__________________
The Eldritch One

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #69
littlebeast
get it while it's easy
 
littlebeast's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SFBA
Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
Let me turn the question around and ask why you feel the need to heap adulation on a person you never knew at a personal level, and whose work you have no way of evaluating?
since my post prompted your response, let me say this - i have worked with scientists at the top of their respective fields for my entire career - and Mr. Hawking stands out in numerous ways. first and foremost for his utter refusal to give up and give in to his physical limitations. and further - his endless curiosity, not only on behalf of himself, but on behalf of humanity - and his relentless pursuit of answers to questions we have only begun to scratch the surface of. he took the long view of our survival as a species. and he did it from within his cage of absolute physical isolation. a mind locked away from even the most basic of human contact. you say i have no way of evaluating his work. i say heís an incredible inspiration. a testament to the indomitable human spirit. and as i quoted him Ďwhere thereís life, thereís hopeí. as far as i am concerned. no truer or more poignant words were ever said. he not only never gave up, he challenged boundaries, both scientific and human, in ways most of us only ever dream of.

so you know of those who disagree. am assuming they have said their peace in appropriate venues and have not gotten traction on it. coming slinking around his casket with whispers of discontent IMHO is total bullshit. not the time or place.
__________________
ďYou see, a dog growls when itís angry, and wags its tail when itís pleased. I growl when Iím pleased, and wag my tail when Iím angry." - Cheshire Cat
littlebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #70
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...
 
Johndicezx9's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Monterey Pen
Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
I am curious to hear the personal experiences.

I worked for Cindy Lauper once, around the time of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", she was a total witch and I even wished the point when she'd fade away would come sooner than later. It did.
__________________
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!"
Johndicezx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #71
johnkol
Veteran
 
johnkol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Union City
Motorcycles: Bultaco
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
since my post prompted your response, let me say this - i have worked with scientists at the top of their respective fields for my entire career - and Mr. Hawking stands out in numerous ways.
You are saying that you worked with Hawking at some point in time? As I said before, I did not know him personally, but I know a lot of people that worked with him, and I do not believe that any of them would go so far out in their praise of him like you did.

Hawking was a great physicist, one of the top ten of his generation, and he made some important discoveries. But he never made the kind of groundbreaking contribution that would change the face of Astrophysics. In fifty years time, when all the social elements of his status have been forgotten, his name will never be mentioned alongside those of Friedmann, Eddington, Gamow, Hoyle, and so many others.

He was afflicted with a debilitating disease that sidelined him, and we will never know what he could have achieved if he had remained healthy. But the same question hovers over other great scientists that died prematurely (Schwarzschild, Friedmann, etc), so what can we take from that?

Hawking attained extraordinary fame not because of his scientific endeavours, but because of his disease. Had he been healthy he would have led an unexceptional life, much like the lives of other great physicists of our generation whose names the general public has never heard of.

His fame brought recognition and outsize attention to an obscure segment of Physics, and no one in that small community would begrudge the fact that the general public suddenly looked their way with intense interest. Yes, we all knew that everyone was looking for the wrong reasons, but we all benefited from that, and, most importantly, science benefited from it too.

So I do not have any negative things to say about Hawking; just don't go over the top making him into a saint when you are missing a lot of facts.

Last edited by johnkol; 03-17-2018 at 02:28 PM..
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #72
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies
 
Abacinator's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Martinez
Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #73
CoorsLight
Veteran
 
CoorsLight's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N/A
Motorcycles: smell good
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
You are saying that you worked with Hawking at some point in time? As I said before, I did not know him personally, but I know a lot of people that worked with him, and I do not believe that any of them would go so far out in their praise of him like you did.

Hawking was a great physicist, one of the top ten of his generation, and he made some important discoveries. But he never made the kind of groundbreaking contribution that would change the face of Astrophysics. In fifty years time, when all the social elements of his status have been forgotten, his name will never be mentioned alongside those of Friedmann, Eddington, Gamow, Hoyle, and so many others.

He was afflicted with a debilitating disease that sidelined him, and we will never know what he could have achieved if he had remained healthy. But the same question hovers over other great scientists that died prematurely (Schwarzschild, Friedmann, etc), so what can we take from that?

Hawking attained extraordinary fame not because of his scientific endeavours, but because of his disease. Had he been healthy he would have led an unexceptional life, much like the lives of other great physicists of our generation whose names the general public has never heard of.

His fame brought recognition and outsize attention to an obscure segment of Physics, and no one in that small community would begrudge the fact that the general public suddenly looked their way with intense interest. Yes, we all knew that everyone was looking for the wrong reasons, but we all benefited from that, and, most importantly, science benefited from it too.

So I do not have any negative things to say about Hawking; just don't go over the top making him into a saint when you are missing a lot of facts.
Even if 100% of what you say is true, thereís no place for it in this thread.
CoorsLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.