Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #2836
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Motorcycles: kawi kawi yam yam beta honda honda
Name:
well...although i'll probably have the day off, this idea doesn't seem to have any interest, and given how it's supposed to be 84 at loon lake and 103 crossing the valley, I think i'll stay in Santa Cruz where it's nice and cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onto1wheel View Post
I might be able to do rubicon on Wednesday, if you're interested. Kinda short notice for me, but i'll check my work situation for the week on Monday.
Have you done rubicon before? I think I could do an out and back without getting too lost.
doug
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #2837
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 00KTM250MXC, 01TM250, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
Those Dusy rocks are just silly. I can do that stuff just fine in small doses.

Otherwise, I need a beer. Like a Pedro Point Something.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #2838
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2 wheelers
Name:
I like the idea but too soon for me since I'm still waiting on parts to help Boulder proof my sxf a little better. All I've gotten in so far is a kick stand lol. So waiting on skid plate and handguards. It's a big trip for me since I'm kinda far from Tahoe

Last edited by KooLaid; 07-17-2018 at 12:22 AM..
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #2839
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Tore off the rear end to grease the swingarm and linkage bearings. (I thought I just did this but my notes say it was around 60 hours ago.) Quit because it started getting warm.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #2840
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Eric, your shop is inspirational. Surgically clean organized.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #2841
omegajeff
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: '01 RC51, '10 YZ450F, '01 CR250, '14 CRF 125F,'04 CRF70
Name:
This is how my bikes end up looking when I'm just going to "clean the chain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
Tore off the rear end to grease the swingarm and linkage bearings. (I thought I just did this but my notes say it was around 60 hours ago.) Quit because it started getting warm.

omegajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #2842
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Yesterday I replaced the JIS Philips head type screws on the ignition cover and sprocket cover with flange head screws.

Took the swingarm off, greased all the bearings in the swingarm and linkage. They didn't really need it. They could go on a 100 hour schedule like the piston and the forks.

While I'm here I'm going to put new carb vent hoses on. I took a break because it got warm again (at 10:30 AM) with my hands sweating in nitrile gloves, yuck.

I'm also going to put a dial indicator on the piston to check crank play.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #2843
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Well, all the bearings were good except the lower shock, it was dry and seized. WTF?! I thought I greased when I had Zoran rebuild the shock. It should be in the same condition as all the other bearings. Maybe the seals were bad and let water in, but they looked good. BTW, Koyo bearing, so original from 2006, not an All Balls or Pivot Works kit. I ordered an All Balls kit because of austerity measures.

I got the new carb vent lines done.

Looks good, except I realized the routing was wrong when I put the sprocket cover back on. Mo betta:

BTW, this is poly, um, poly-something hose, slightly less flexible than the Keihin hose and a smaller outside diameter. The original spring clips won't fit so I used small zip ties to secure them over the carb fittings.

Speaking of sprocket cover and ignition cover, no more JIS head screws.

Then I got to work checking for play in the (original) crank. Don't throw away those evil plastic straws, they are good for finding near TDC.

With the ignition cover off, you can grab the flywheel and try to jiggle it. If you feel any movement, you're done, no need to break out the dial indicator, you need a new bottom end. But if it's tight, you can use a timing dial.

Zero it at TDC then rotate the flywheel back and forth slightly. If the dial doesn't move directly with flywheel, it's time for a new bottom end.

This was good time to clean out the ignition area, which is vented and lets in dust and water. My bike was spotless.

If you are checking crank play with a dial indicator, you should also confirm the ignition timing and possibly adjust it. But then that's probably why you have a 2 stroke plug hole dial adapter.