Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #46
Blue-8
Noob

Motorcycles: DR 650
Name: Zack
Is this a bad time to tell you guys I found another two dr650 riders to join? See you guys 0845hrs at the start point.
Blue-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #47
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Motorcycles: -
Name: Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-8 View Post
Is this a bad time to tell you guys I found another two dr650 riders to join? See you guys 0845hrs at the start point.
Zack - Maybe this time the DRs will outnumber the KiLRs. Hope you don't cut it close and show as we pull out. Since you know the route, is it OK if you take point with the DRs. (Stiffler, luckett, etc.) Are Terry and Sean showing with KiLRs to guide Cabrito? Bill suggested we move from Sunday to Saturday.. so he better show!

Too bad Sid can't make it, but Leo can navigate for the KTM 950/990 Adventures; Dean won't be there, but a couple of riders are on plated dirt bikes...as usual. The Sac guys plan to link up at CP1 and know this area well, so no worries there.

I'm so tempted to take the DR (the smaller 33mm flatslide carb arrived today)... but nah ... it would be a cop out; riding the Tiger! Either way ridings (or kickstarting) is a (PT) bitch!

See you guys tomorrow.

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-06-2012 at 06:51 PM..
seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #48
HIglesias
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 R6 '99 R1100S 99'KDX200
Name: Henry
Is there video of the tougher non advanced bike recommended stuff? Wondering if I should take the tiger through the gnarly stuff.
HIglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #49
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIglesias View Post
Is there video of the tougher non advanced bike recommended stuff? Wondering if I should take the tiger through the gnarly stuff.
Henry,

Each checkpoint leg is designed to be more difficult than the previous leg. You should be fine from Start through CP2. Watch first 2 videos on OP. Ride to Lower Camp (video #3: 7 minutes offroad) and you can decide if you prefer to return to the slab. It gets tougher but still ADVenture big bike friendly from CP3 to CP4.

The hardcore dirt guys usually break off to find single track after CP2.

For riders inexperienced in riding dirt or those new to riding 600 lbs >100HP bikes in dirt: here's a post between Rod and I from last months faceplant on this route: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....54&postcount=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
I'm posting this in hopes of learning something. I've got a little bit of dirt road experience, but consider myself a newbie to it.

This happened yesterday (3/10/12) eastbound on (unmaintained) Rayhouse Road / County Road 40, roughly 20 miles East of Lower Lake, CA, about 3 miles West of Hwy 16 from Cache Creek and 10 miles into the dirt ride from Morgan Valley Road. Most of this video is just to show the road conditions and my riding style. The incident itself is at 13:43 so you may wanna skip to that. I killed the audio for a bit at that point, due to unseemly language.

I think what happened is I hit a rock that upset the front wheel. Coulda been a lot worse if it happened in a different spot. Seems kinda bizarre to me 'cause the rocks are everywhere and I'd just survived 10 miles of them. How can I avoid this in the future? Might a fork brace have helped?

Anyway, here it is: http://youtu.be/D5J65EUVoSs?hd=1
youtu.be/D5J65EUVoSs
rodr,

Glad you're OK; and Banjoboy got FZ6 dirt bike back home OK. I dump my top heavy uberbeast almost everytime I shift or put too much weight bias on my front. Here's what's helping me fix my problem:
  • I'm trying not to let the bars upset the bike when they deflect off the rocks/ruts/loose surface: I keep my elbows up above the bar ends, and let the front bounce around and the handlebars move side to side. Watch video: http://youtu.be/BhCuN9rNyaE
  • Grip the tank with your knees instead of holding on the handlebars. Point your toes inward, and keep the balls of your feet and not the arch on the pegs. You take your foot off the peg to shift/brake. Watch video: http://youtu.be/K7LJdCfLOqg Use your legs to stand up/shift weight and not your arms. I only hold my bars/throttle lightly with my thumb and index finger except when unweighting my front for an obstacle. Use your knees against the tank and not your arms to keep from pitching forward when decelerating or going downhill.
  • Get your weight off the seat and onto the footpegs (lower the center of gravity) Watch video: http://youtu.be/DqivfG8g-gQ
  • Let the bike move around under you.
  • Weight the outside peg on the turns to maximize the tire contact patch by keeping the bike upright. Watch video http://youtu.be/vgkQmiTs-RM and note bike attitude and position of rear end on the bike. Helps to drop your tire pressure to mid or low 20's on a heavier ADV bike. Lifting your foot off the inside peg helps... I'm not too keen about sticking my leg out when turning a 600 lbs. bike in the dirt..Watch video: http://youtu.be/Z1D5_kDDNgM
  • Avoid target fixation (don't spend all of your $10 on the ruts and rocks): Keep your head up and look to where you wan't to go, especially when turning.
  • Maintain steady throttle, and ride friction zone. You don't want to upset the bike with sudden decelerations.
  • Use the rear brake to 'square' the turn. Watch video and listen for the rear brake squeal: http://youtu.be/rijYSLjHOCM
  • Use engine brake and very light (one finger) front brake to control downhill descents.
  • Throttle through obstacles
  • Most important: RELAX!
I'm not sure a fork brace will help... but engine guards, hand guards, and a bash plate will give you peace of mind.

Hope to see you on our next ride 4/7

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-06-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #50
Banjoboy
Get over yerself!!!

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '07 FJR speedshifter ('07 FJR, :rip ) '07 FZ6 (dirt bike)
Name: ANorris
Eye may be down fer sum this. Prolly meet y'all 'round Turtle rock?
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
The adventure is in the rider, not the bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
let the rider who has neither broken the speed limit, nor crossed the double yellow - throw the first stone
(and also sell their fuckin' bike! )
Banjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #51
luckett
The Green Bastard

Motorcycles: CBR600F3
Name: Bubbles
A couple of us are departing from GGB north vista parking area at 8am and making our way through sonoma/napa to 128. If anyone wants to join us, PM me so we know to expect you.
If You don't know diddly about how it is safer to have your front wheel up at least a tiny distance off the pavement, while turning, so there is no risk of losing traction, there, where there is no traction to lose, And you are turning with the rear wheel...Then by all means, go slow enough so Your risky behavour, doesn't get overwhelmed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by louemc View Post
literally turning on a dime, is often best done on One wheel.

Last edited by luckett; 04-06-2012 at 08:32 PM..
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #52
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
The KLR and I had a great ride today... 269 miles according the the GPS thingy...

Luckett - thanks for hanging back for me on the way up. Hope you had a good ride.
Cabrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #53
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Thanks to everyone for coming out. Glad I was able to meet all y'all, and hope I can ride with y'all again next month.

Please post dirty pics , videos, feedback/criticisms.

Hope everyone got their moneys worth. Today looked like a KTM Adventure convention! Followed by Tigers and Huskys.
Seeing Icemanr9r 'Lucky Strike' Cagiva/Ducati Elefant made my day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
Luckett - thanks for hanging back for me on the way up. Hope you had a good ride.
luckett, saw you at Cache Creek hanging out with revnort (BMW thanks you for representing) and Banjoboy as I departed. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat.

Pictures courtesy of JustPaul. http://justpaul.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...7172&k=QtCDG43

Photo taken at checkpoint 1 prior to the arrival of the Sacramento horde crew at 9:45AM! Waterbreak after 20 minutes of strafing CA-121? Really?

Kelly and Matt (2-up on their KTM 990) taken by JustPaul and Jill (2-up on their KTM 990)

Paul and Jill (2-up on their KTM 990) taken by LittleWan and Matt (2-up on their KTM 990)

Photos courtesy of LittleWan: http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/...V%20Seavoyage/

Practicing our hydroplaning skills

Adam (GoNotShow) 2012 Super Tenere 1200

Leo_jb guiding our guests from out of town to the crossroads where he tore off his white front fender.

twolane's gorgeous Husky TE630 - Paulr111 brought a sibling Yeah, the KTM guys were ogling her

Olegs first day in the dirt!

Got ruts?

Got rocks?

Got hills?

Bartek990 showing us Americans how it's done by ADVriders from Poland!

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-08-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #54
undertheoaks
When in doubt gas it!

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100
Name: El Sid
Well..........details c'mon I need them with pics.
undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
Banjoboy
Get over yerself!!!

Contributor ++++

Thanx Drew, that wuz a blast! (I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.) I should have sum good pics; gotta develop the film though.
Quote:
let the rider who has neither broken the speed limit, nor crossed the double yellow - throw the first stone
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #56
Iceman9r
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati Cagiva Elefant
Name: Kurt J
Good day to ride. Nice to meet you Doc. Have to get you up here in the foot hills show you some of out trails.......snow pending of course.
Looks like every one got out fine with out to many problems.

Kurt J
Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #57
jimboFosho
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: MOAR!
Name:
It was an awesome ride today! I was glad even a straggler could catch up. My pics and videos are being developed too
jimboFosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #58
seavoyage
grunt n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman9r View Post
Good day to ride. Nice to meet you Doc. Have to get you up here in the foot hills show you some of out trails.......snow pending of course.
Looks like every one got out fine with out to many problems.

Kurt J
Kurt, I'll take you up on the invite. I do ride snow, so anytime is no problem... but probably ride the plated dirt bike to keep up with you guys... the Tiger is a beast to handle off-road! Please post pics of your Cagiva/Ducati Elefant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboFosho View Post
It was an awesome ride today! I was glad even a straggler could catch up. My pics and videos are being developed too
Even with a late start (20-min. after KSU); helping pick up bikes, straighten Blue-8 DR650 front end, airing down/up tires (DRs, KiLRs, Tigers, Husky, F800GS); mingling with the Sacramento and Hayward brethren (XRs, DRs, KTMs, Cagiva Elefant); I'm just glad I made CP1 with 15 min. to spare; CP4 25-min. ahead of time; and met the straggler (jimboFosho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblood View Post
Bike started with 120 miles, end of day the Tiger had over 410.
Thanks for the help Jim.
Had a blast! + some

btw, nice dirtbike Banjoboy!
Kyle - Interesting strategy to break in an new ADV bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoboy View Post
Thanx Drew, that wuz a blast! (I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.) I should have sum good pics; gotta develop the film though.
Thanks to Banjoboy, energizer26, JustPaul (really just Jill), and LittleWan for taking the time to take and post pics; and to all the posers that posed on their rides. Looking for the videos of 'proof of life' or 'near death' a la Energizer26.

youtu.be/8Oip_YGdw5A

Too Easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb
Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage
Curt - Hope you ride with us next month (May 13th). We often get one or two GS/GSAs at the 2nd Sunday of the month ride, but they never come back. We only had Dan's F800GS this time.

The KTMs; Triumphs; V-Stroms; Thumpers (KLRs/DRs/XRs); and plated dirt bikes consistently return for more.
I wonder why the beemers don't come back? It's a nice ride. And it's not like the VStrom is more capable than a GS in the dirt... I'm surprised it's as popular with the thumpers as it is since there's a fair amount of pavement. Dirt freaks get all whiney when they have to touch any pavement.

Last edited by seavoyage; 04-09-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #59
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
The KLR and I had a great ride today... 269 miles according the the GPS thingy...
269 miles, I wish I could do half of that. KLR's must have a seat like a throne.

I rode 65 miles today and though I would have to stand all the way home.
KTM has taught me a new word: Coccydynia
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #60
Banjoboy
Get over yerself!!!

Contributor ++++

A feller on a yellow bike...

A feller on an orange bike...

a feller on a white bike...

And a feller on a red bike tear'in it up...

And my dirt bike

Quote: