Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ

Thanks for taking us along on your trip! I'm fascinated with our western history, the small towns, ghost towns, forgotten struggles and migrations. Your pics and write up were appreciated.

I'm also always amazed how you guys on big bikes can cover so much distance.

I took a cross country trip a couple years back on my Street Triple and stuck to nothing but two lanes. I would always be wiped out after 450 miles or so. Even when I could spend large stretches at triple digits in rural NV, UT, CO, WY, and SD, I could never put 750 miles in.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post

Thanks for taking us along on your trip! I'm fascinated with our western history, the small towns, ghost towns, forgotten struggles and migrations. Your pics and write up were appreciated.
There is so much cool stuff out there that we haven't seen or learned about. I've been making it a point that I stop and "discover" something(s) new on every trip.

Quote:
I'm also always amazed how you guys on big bikes can cover so much distance.
Sit on a chair-height stool at a table. Put your feet about 15 inches apart and rest your hands on the table just wider than shoulder width. Set your cruise control and wrestle the demons in your head for a while until they go silent. Stand or shift a cheek off the seat when you get sore. Set cruise control if you want to let go. Swing a leg in the wind every once in a while. You get the idea....

Quote:
I took a cross country trip a couple years back on my Street Triple and stuck to nothing but two lanes. I would always be wiped out after 450 miles or so. Even when I could spend large stretches at triple digits in rural NV, UT, CO, WY, and SD, I could never put 750 miles in.
Controlling the wind and noise is the biggest factor. I'm tall so I get some pretty good buffeting over the top of my windscreen in cross winds and behind bigger SUVs. That's what gets me the most.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

So to finish up...

There is a lot of mining activity going on in Nevada. The price of metals having risen like they did and then managing hold on like it has makes processing prior tailings and seeking new ore at a lot of the mines profitable again.

Knowing this, I took the opportunity to get up significantly before dark and follow the pickups out of town as they went to work. I don't like riding the open range in the dark but Ely to Sonoma is a good haul, and I wanted to be home at a reasonable hour. Using the trucks as a deer blocker isn't a sure thing, but it's better than nothing. There is a lot of traffic out there at 5:30 in the morning....

Some of the valleys out there. Holy cow was it cold. I saw 24 degrees in three of them and it averaged about 35 degrees until the sun came up, which was right before I arrived in Eureka. Interestingly, it was as warm as 60 degrees on top of the passes. I stopped on two just to run around and warm up a bit. I had considered camping out there somewhere, but didn't inspect the sites I have marked very much, so I don't know if it would have been freezing or warm. I need to go back and check my points for the surrounding terrain so I have a better understanding of what to expect if I put those campsites to use. For now, I'm happy with the hotel choice.

Planning the gas so I didn't have to stop after the Reno/Verdi area, I hadn't topped off in Ely and was planning to get fuel in Eureka. Except the power was out due to grid maintenance. 30 minutes and neither of the gas stations had a generator. What do they do in the winter? People just get stuck there? I had just done 80 miles and needed 70 to get to Austin, but only had about 40 in the tank.

After some nice free coffee from the gas station (it was gonna get cold- she was giving it away!) I stuffed a couple of Lara Bars down followed by trail mix. The breakfast I was going to have in Austin was off the table.

There was construction at the State Line in Nevada. I split lanes anyway and everyone gave way. Those Nevadans are learning!

Gas in Verdi, lunch at In-n-Out in Auburn and then home by 3:30 pm.

That front tire made it the whole way... but it is d.o.n.e.

Last edited by boney; 09-23-2018 at 08:04 PM..
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

So, for the lessons.

First and foremost is the front tire. Even though I keep records of every tank of gas, every top off of oil, very tire change etc... I should have replaced it before the trip. Mostly for peace of mind. After the first day of chip-seal highway, it didn't look so good and at every stop I'd take a peek at it. Nobody really needs that kind of stress. Sure, it made the trip with tread to spare, but it's pretty much done. They say the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. It's true. I try to get everything I can out of a tire before I spoon on another. I should stop that when there's a trip in the works.

Some of you may have caught my anti-rescue, "be prepared to rescue yourself" rant in the Spot X thread. Truth be told, I run a spot for my wife to track me so she'll let me keep doing stuff like this. I've also used, for the sake of testing technology, Bubbler GPS on my phone. I tie them both into Spotwalla.com and leave a window open on my desktop that has the map in it. Bubbler is phone based and updates the track where there is cell signal, so it collects points until it can dump them. Spot is obviously satellite, but the Spot 2 only broadcasts the last 3 points every 10 minutes. So it has the potential to miss some- or a lot. Then there's always the GPS recording a track- but that has no ability to report my location.

Note: actually, the Garmin does have a way to live report a location ,but it requires a constant cell connection. Once the connection is lost, it appears that the system cuts of the live-track setup and it has to be restarted. And that is no good.

Spot Track:

Bubbler GPS Track:

There's more...
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------>

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900 GT '17 FZ-10 '13 R1 track bike.
Name: Michael
Nice write up! Colorado Springs is where I grew up and went to high school before moving to Denver. You should of ridden the million dollar highway! You were right there it looks like.
Colorado Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Name: Bill
Tom, thanks for the wonderful narrative and photos! Really enjoyed the unique sights and your descriptions! Man I could never put that many miles on in such a short time.

-Bill
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Nice Colorado and Utah were my favorite on the TAT
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #23
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
Along the way, I dropped my 600lb bike with a full 8 gallons of gas and camping gear in the soft dirt as I was trying to turn it around. It was a no-speed tip over when the front tire washed as I was off the road. It took me a minute or two to find my footing and heft the big thing back onto it's wheels. This is the kind of stuff that makes riding solo less fun but more interesting.
Remember, "Adventure" is bad things happening remembered fondly.

Looks like a good trip.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor +++++++++ 1%

Motorcycles: Real Strom, TR-650, Rapid Taxi RR, VFR, ZX-6r, '81 1002
Name: chris
Iím a Capital Reef Inn fan and was there less than 2 weeks ago. I started in Delta and enjoyed a morning going down 141. I actually took a right turn off 141 thinking it my be a shortcut to Moab but it was too slow and rocky for my gps-less skills. Iím trying to learn to check stuff out, was by Great Basin NP a dozen times before actually going partway into the park. Similar with Ward Characol ovens except Iíve only googled them. Thanks Tom for the reminder that thereís more miles out there.

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #25
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
Fun read.
Thanks for sharing.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote