Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Chachi_Monster

Motorcycles: Monster
Name:
great stuff!
Chachi_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
mjj
Cookie

Motorcycles: '96 R1100RT
Name:
Right turns are great IF you can see past the turn. Seems like most twisties are associated with hilly terrain so there's usually a cliff in the way.

My habit in left turns (extension of Late Entry Late Apex) is to hug the outside of the turn until I can get a clear view of the exit. Not so far as to get into the inevitable dirt and gravel out there, but as close as I dare. I can think of twice I've done this to encounter, smack dab in the middle of the turn, a large oncoming vehicle at least 1/2 way into my lane (one was a logging truck, one was a tour bus). Terrifying, and validating.

I shudder every time I see a sporty rider flying thru a left turn leaned over so that his/her helmet is inches from the DY or center line. Makes me think of Tee Ball.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
I came across this very enlightening article on quick-steering vs. trail-braking. They’re illustrated as track techniques but very applicable for backroad riding too. I use one or the other technique based on the situation, but before reading this article I didn't realize the two techniques were at odds. The key message is to be adaptable to the needs of each turn.

https://lifeatlean.com/quick-steering-vs-trail-braking/
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #19
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 GSXR 600 (track) & 09 Street Triple (street)
Name: Zack
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Try the Vanishing Point technique for reading blind turns. The link is to a BARF post I wrote 10 years ago, but it's timeless. ...
I personally think this technique should be taught in basic rider courses. Experienced or newbie it's good to know particularly for new roads.
ZCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCrow View Post
I personally think this technique should be taught in basic rider courses. Experienced or newbie it's good to know particularly for new roads.
We teach, what I think is a better version of that: stay outside until you can see the exit of the turn, then turn in and accelerate. This is taught in a couple different parts of the course.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #21
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
We teach, what I think is a better version of that: stay outside until you can see the exit of the turn, then turn in and accelerate. This is taught in a couple different parts of the course.
The vanishing point idea takes all conditions into account not just cornering.

Small hills on straights being just one example.

I've been behind cars passing a bicycle that think nothing about placing their car in the other lane with a "blind" hill coming up.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
evolks

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM SuperDuke 2009 KTM 450 XCW
Name:
Keep in mind that sand/gravel builds up in the center of the lane due to vehicle tracks. When going into blind turns I usually pick the line that a cars left tires would be tracking.
evolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #23
Hooli
PW's sole brother

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiirider View Post
If you see ONE deer, there's likely some more around that next corner.
Same with LEO's.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote