Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 765 RS
Name:
6.10 B Group @ Thunderhill West

youtu.be/0lhYyVbC8LM

My first track day in about 2 years - first one on the west coast/thunderhill. I will say that the difference between riding at the track back east is pretty extreme. In the video - i'm wearing the high viz airbag vest.

Back east, you don't pick what group you ride with - everyone starts in beginner and you get evaluated by a coach for a bump to each level above that (if you ride at a certain pace with another org - a diff org will honor it but you have to have an evaluation to move up regardless).

There's a lot of instruction & coaching - the track org coaches would come into the pits and talk with us after almost every session which was really fundamental in learning how to ride better and becoming aware of bad habits and trying to fix them.

This org seems to be lesser known (it's not important who it was for the sake of this thread). But they made a point of saying there was no coaching instruction - don't ask control riders about your line or anything which kind of sucked. As much as it's fun riding on the track - i go there to learn how to be a better rider too from people who are far better than i am (which is most ).

Also felt like the control riders didn't do much about a few obvious riders in B group that were riding significantly under pace and causing traffic on every lap.

I will say that with the exception of a few - riders here seem to have far less of a track day ego - i dont know if it was the demographic of people who sign up with this org or just in general - but people were more polite, conservative and level headed (a welcome change from east coast track days where people were crashing left and right because they were riding above their head to prove something).

All in all - had a blast - 8 of us went up and being able to ride with your friends as fast as you can is one of the best things i love about riding.

It was great getting some video of my riding as i never see myself ride - i'm a bit appalled by my foot position (way too far off the peg) & my head position - should be much farther over. And of course, my line could be much improved. I really struggle with passing, trying to be courteous and understanding it's not a race - everyone's out to have fun - i waited forever in some cases to pass erratic riders who couldn't keep a line worth a damn and were parkign it into every corner - hard accelerating with more powerful bikes on the straights. Having that confidence to push past them and then get back on the line was hard to get in my head mentally , particularly situations like late braking on corner entry.

THill west was pretty technical - but a lot of fun - the off camber turns we're a challenge of speed and trusting your tires for grip.

Couldn't have asked for better weather - definitely think California Superbike School is in my future. I have a lot to learn still.

Last edited by Moto Beck; 06-11-2018 at 07:59 AM..
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Paulo666
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2013 Daytona 675
Name: Paul
Hey great review I was also there and was riding the white and blue Daytona 675 track bike. I was also in B group in the afternoon. Fun times and I'm still learning too
Paulo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
ColdOnes
Rookie

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 2009 R1, 2013 WR250F, 2018 FS450
Name:
I rode B+ yesterday. I was pretty happy with how that group ran but B did seem to stack up a lot of riders especially in the afternoon. It was a well put on track day over all.
ColdOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
That was an event that was not targeted at trackday enthusiasts, hence most of the differences from what you expect. Other track days DO have coaches, and they are much more serious, especially in B and A groups.

Yeah the weather couldn't have been more perfect, and Thunderhill West is great fun. I'm glad you had a great time.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo666 View Post
Hey great review I was also there and was riding the white and blue Daytona 675 track bike. I was also in B group in the afternoon. Fun times and I'm still learning too
i think you pitted right next to us - i'll go through the footage i have see if i was behind you at any point.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
That was an event that was not targeted at trackday enthusiasts, hence most of the differences from what you expect. Other track days DO have coaches, and they are much more serious, especially in B and A groups.

Yeah the weather couldn't have been more perfect, and Thunderhill West is great fun. I'm glad you had a great time.
absolutely - i probably would ride C in other track orgs but was told to run B here and glad i did.

Thunderhill West is awesome - especially on a smaller bike - off camber turns were a butt pucker but all mental haha.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Aware
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
Thunderhill West is awesome - especially on a smaller bike - off camber turns were a butt pucker but all mental haha.
Yeah I used to hate turn 9. This time around I think I finally got it.

Wait till you try the East track. Better yet,the full 5 mile track (East plus west) what a great track!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Yeah I used to hate turn 9. This time around I think I finally got it.

Wait till you try the East track. Better yet,the full 5 mile track (East plus west) what a great track!!!!!!
TUrn 8 coming up over the hill was awesome - took me awhile to figure out a good down shift point into 2nd to hit turn 9 - but got more comfortable with it as the day went on.

Turn 2 (the off camber right hander after coming off the straight gave me a lot of trouble) - i took it wide a few times and then turn 4 where the triangle burm is was tough too. Typically carried speed out of turn 2 to pass people going into 3 but that was a tricky corner i struggled with all day hitting it in the right spot.

I definitely want to do the full 5 mile track - i heard east is much faster.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
Aware
Veteran

For me:

West, end of start/finish = 125+
East, end of start/finish = chicken out at 150. Could do 155/160?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Paulo666
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2013 Daytona 675
Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
i think you pitted right next to us - i'll go through the footage i have see if i was behind you at any point.
That would be awesome. Haven't seen myself on film yet.
Paulo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
bambamb43
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000R,2002 kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1976 Suzuki GT 750, 2005 gixxer 1000 (Track)
Name: Bruce
Yeah, that track day provider is kind of a character, I've done a couple of his track days, I had fun but I always have fun !! Aware was a control rider one time I went there, there are other track day providers that their instructors will actually show you the lines and critique you at no extra charge and they have vendors at those track days to
bambamb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamb43 View Post
Yeah, that track day provider is kind of a character, I've done a couple of his track days, I had fun but I always have fun !! Aware was a control rider one time I went there, there are other track day providers that their instructors will actually show you the lines and critique you at no extra charge and they have vendors at those track days to
He is a character - he was probably riding at 10% on one of the final laps just in front of me for a lap - was fun to follow his line. Definitely had fun and while it wasn't what i was expecting - I heard this is what it was going to be like.

Was a good day back at the track after 2 years off - and man - THILL west is awesome - the pavement quality and everything about the track is just awesome.

Can't wait to try East
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
Aware
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamb43 View Post
Aware was a control rider one time I went there, there are other track day providers that their instructors will actually show you the lines and critique you at no extra charge and they have vendors at those track days to
Oh that was a very wet day. Showed the fair-weather riders vs wet-weather riders 8-) i loved riding in the wet!!! (Too stupid to be scared)
Old 06-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
bambamb43
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000R,2002 kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1976 Suzuki GT 750, 2005 gixxer 1000 (Track)
Name: Bruce
Quote:
Oh that was a very wet day. Showed the fair-weather riders vs wet-weather riders 8-) i loved riding in the wet!!! (Too stupid to be scared)
You were DEFINITELY hauling ass especially for how wet it was
bambamb43 is offline   Reply With Quote