Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
paul cbr
Custom User Title

Motorcycles: Big Orange Bessie
Name: Paul
I've got an 1190R and I love it. It's my only bike and has 30k miles. The standard 1190 has the 19/17 wheel combo and used ones go for $10k on ADVrider.
paul cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: DR650, Ducati HyperStrada, '17 Duke 690.
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Tiger 1050? The only way I can imagine it not handling well is if sag was way off (or rear was lowered) and steering angles were slack. The one I demoed felt like it handled great to me anyway.
Yea, tried everything with settings. In mild to frisky riding it's fine, but if pushed that Kitty might scratch you! Riders MUCH better than I confirmed I was not crazy ... agreeing the Tiger handling was dreadful ... and yes was set up by experts at the track by Catalyst guys. (Ohlins shock, Catalyst front forks)

It's great if not pushed on smooth road/track but doing the Sunday morning ride ... it can be a bit scary, upset by bumps ... plus too tall for me and feels TOP HEAVY. I've had worse bikes ... but once onto my Hyperstrada Ducati, I now know what truly good handling is all about ... but too unreliable and way too expensive to repair.

Quote:
Like Kurt, the budget, not too tall (compared to some of the others mentioned anyway) candidate that comes to mind for me is the Versys 650. Best bike I've had for all day day after day comfort.
Love the idea of the Versys 650 but hoping for a bit more power and two up comfort. Interesting the Versys 1000 and 650 have same seat height.
1000 seat is WIDER at front, so bit longer reach to the ground.

If I buy it ... I'll get a custom lower seat and pull tubes UP in triple clamps to lower it a bit.

Quote:
I've considered a Versys 1000 before but rejected it when I still owned an FZ1 (one I4 at a time is plenty for me). I'd probably consider it more seriously today. I'd probably prefer the better brakes and suspension of the Versys 1000 over the 650, and it's hard to go wrong with a little more power, but overall I prefer twins, and I'd prefer the lightness of the 650 as well.
I love twins too. Note 90K on DL1000. Did you ever ride a Versys 1000.
SF Moto offer demo rides.

I Haven't owned an inline four since my Ninja ZX10 from the 90's.

Quote:
Would you consider an unmolested FJ09?
I shopped FJ-09's for a year, then bought the screwed up one, and luckily seller unwound the deal.

Yes, I would consider the FJ for sure ... but I do like the stability and better fueling manners of the Versys 1000. (this all from magazine reviews mind, not yet ridden one)

Thanks for your useful input!
Rumbo Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post

Love the idea of the Versys 650 but hoping for a bit more power and two up comfort. Interesting the Versys 1000 and 650 have same seat height.
1000 seat is WIDER at front, so bit longer reach to the ground.

If I buy it ... I'll get a custom lower seat and pull tubes UP in triple clamps to lower it a bit.
The 1000 feels wider. It's not just the seat. The good news is that the stock seat on the 1000 is quite good. The seat on the early 650 is not so great.

Pulling the forks up in the triples is a good idea - at least once the bike is stiffened up a bit. I was dragging stuff before adding stiffer fork springs - and before raising the forks in the triples. You might consider that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post

Yes, I would consider the FJ for sure ... but I do like the stability and better fueling manners of the Versys 1000. (this all from magazine reviews mind, not yet ridden one)

Thanks for your useful input!
The stock fueling on 1000 is pretty good, and it's definitely stable, though I would not mind if it were a bit sharper at turn-in.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
2018 BARF Spring Rally

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #19
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
The 1000 feels wider. It's not just the seat. The good news is that the stock seat on the 1000 is quite good. The seat on the early 650 is not so great.

Pulling the forks up in the triples is a good idea - at least once the bike is stiffened up a bit. I was dragging stuff before adding stiffer fork springs - and before raising the forks in the triples. You might consider that

The stock fueling on 1000 is pretty good, and it's definitely stable, though I would not mind if it were a bit sharper at turn-in.
Thanks again Kurt for the useful input!
Yes, I would try raising up fork tubes. One review stated it was a must to sharpen up the handling a bit. So maybe a Win Win there when combined with stiffer springs or re-valve?

Plus one on the good fueling. Some Versys 1000 reviews complained of a bit of jerkiness going ON/OFF throttle. I've had this on many bikes (many have) but only some seem to have it on the Versys 1000. Mostly an issue for me when riding steep, twisty roads.

Speaking of which ... since you're a Bay Area rider and Rock the Versys 650 ... how aggressive can you be on the 1000? How does it compare to the 650 on a knarly road when PUSHED? I've heard minor suspension tuning helps the big Versys.

Does it tie it self in knots or do OK? I'm not a track rider but for an old guy I do OK on the street and do lots of rather competitive group riding ... which keeps me sharp. Would the Versys 650 walk away from the 1000 on 15 miles of beat up twisty road? Any opinions appreciated!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #20
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Suspension on each of my Versys has been upgraded. Stock, the 650 is stiffer than the 1000, but the stock damping on the 1000 is better. If you push the 1000 you will find its limits.

It's possible to get down a technical road pretty quickly on the 1000, but the 650 is better. It's lighter. It's sharper. My sense is that I can get down that road quicker on the 650, and the only thing that would change that would be if there were lots of cars to overtake, in which case it's easier on the 1000. In the end, the 650 is lighter, narrower, and has sharper geometry. The 1000 has much more power. Once you upgrade the suspension on both, the suspension is a wash, and it's the other stuff that matters.

FWIW, if I didn't say so already, I've had the 1000 since May of 2017, and it's showing more than 21K miles on the odo. It's not like I hate the 1000.

Bottom line: I believe most riders will prefer the 1000. I prefer the 650.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
2018 BARF Spring Rally

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

21K since May! Wowzer! You be doin' some serious miles! I never did more than 10K a year when I was commuting.

Thanks for more insight into these versatile bikes! Test ride time!

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
afm222
Rookie

Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, KTM 450 SXF KTM 450 EXC MV Augusta Turismo Veloce
Name: Jeff
MV Augusta

What about the MV Augusta 800 Turismo Veloce ? Great sports tourer, matching hard bags, 800cc triple, up and down quick shifter, TFT display, 8 levels of TC, ABS and slipper clutch. I just bought a new 2016 left on the showroom floor for $12,800. Fantastic bike...think lighter more energetic multistrada.
afm222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #23
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm222 View Post
What about the MV Augusta 800 Turismo Veloce ? Great sports tourer, matching hard bags, 800cc triple, up and down quick shifter, TFT display, 8 levels of TC, ABS and slipper clutch. I just bought a new 2016 left on the showroom floor for $12,800. Fantastic bike...think lighter more energetic multistrada.
I would love that bike, a beauty for sure .. just not sure it would fulfill true sport touring ambitions on the more practical side.

You did notice what bikes I have now? My Ducati Hyperstada is pretty close to the MV. I do love triples. (owned 3 Triumph Tigers)

I've got $6500 into my ducati ... but, IMO the MV is still a bargain at $13K.
Italian Art.

I do love the lightweight and excellent handling of my modified Hyperstrada ... just not sure of it's long term health. Could be similar issues with MV's? I know early examples had issues ... no idea about current machines?

So far the Versys 1000 gets the nod. Test ride done. Just working out details.
It's not super fast or deluxe, few electronics, more a work horse ... and hopefully a better Vstrom (which I put 90K on!) Perfect Old Man bike?

Thanks for the suggestion!