Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 07-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
mtpockets
Rookie

Motorcycles: RS80,1977 RD400 2008 Triumph 675 daytona
Name:
Tire flipping?

Just wondering what your take is on flipping my rear SC2. 5 trackdays at T hill and the left side of the tire is about at the wear marks while the right is fine. Should I just buy another tire or flip the tire?

Thanks
mtpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
shouldnthave
Taze away, Yana...

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP + 1%

Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
I flip all the time. I try to do it before I hit the wear marks so when I eventually turn right there is some carcass holding in heat though.
shouldnthave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Tally Whacker
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
I flip all the time. I try to do it before I hit the wear marks so when I eventually turn right there is some carcass holding in heat though.

This.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
It's already too late. If you are gonna flip it, do it sooner to even out the wear.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Some DOT race tires have plenty of grip until they look like slicks, esp if you use them reasonably fast. Others don’t, esp if they heat cycle out. If u only have 2 days in it I’d def flip it. If u have 4-5 days on it, I’d toss it. But that’s just me.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Tumbleweed
rollin' right along.....

Motorcycles: Always room for additions...
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Some DOT race tires have plenty of grip until they look like slicks, esp if you use them reasonably fast. Others donít, esp if they heat cycle out. If u only have 2 days in it Iíd def flip it. If u have 4-5 days on it, Iíd toss it. But thatís just me.
I have no issues flipping my Dunlop slicks, but could you elaborate on the ďheat cycle outĒ comment Robert?? What am I watching for on that??

Thx
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Kalen
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2016 FZ-07 & 2015 R3
Name:
I flipped my SC2 after round 5 and used it last weekend for a track day.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
I have no issues flipping my Dunlop slicks, but could you elaborate on the ďheat cycle outĒ comment Robert?? What am I watching for on that??

Thx
Heat cycle out == grip lost due to heat cycles. Tires can harden when they are heated and cooled. I put my warmers back on unplugged at the end of the day to prevent this.

But to be honest, it doesnít happen much anymore to any tire. Modern tires are really good at providing grip throughout their whole life no matter the conditions. The only way I can see this happening is if someone uses a tire for many many days, like 5+. This suggest they arenít going fast enough to wear it in 2 days, allowing them to heat cycle it a lot. Maybe itís possible w an Pirelli SC2 or Dunlop Med+ cuz u can use them that long. Racers never experience this cuz they donít use those compounds.

The thing to lookout for is the same w any tires... grip is decreased. U canít tell unless u use the tire too
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Heat cycle out == grip lost due to heat cycles. Tires can harden when they are heated and cooled. I put my warmers back on unplugged at the end of the day to prevent this.

But to be honest, it doesnít happen much anymore to any tire. Modern tires are really good at providing grip throughout their whole life no matter the conditions. The only way I can see this happening is if someone uses a tire for many many days, like 5+. This suggest they arenít going fast enough to wear it in 2 days, allowing them to heat cycle it a lot. Maybe itís possible w an Pirelli SC2 or Dunlop Med+ cuz u can use them that long. Racers never experience this cuz they donít use those compounds.

The thing to lookout for is the same w any tires... grip is decreased. U canít tell unless u use the tire too
A lot of big bike racers use the SC2. The SC1 just wears out too fast. You can heat cycle one out, as you said, it takes a while. I've got one on the 750 with lots of meat left and it's like jelly. Maybe 1200 track miles on it. On the 1000 the same compound lasts three trackdays if I am luck and it's gone, no meat left.