Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 05-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Sharky
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
OP: If you did manage to slightly bend a valve when you turned the crank, and that valve is what's making the noise, I wouldn't run the engine any more than you absolutely have to. A bent valve means the metal has yielded and is now weaker than it used to be. And repeated opening and closing may then further weekend it to the point where the valve head falls off the valve stem. If that happens, you then destroy your cylinder head, the piston, and possibly the block by gouging the cylinder walls. Better to have it towed to a pro and have them fix it.
If the compression is good, doubt a valve is bent.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2

Contributor +++++2%

Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
whatever is bent or wrong, is very, very slight. i'd think it would be hard to detect with a compression check alone. i'm going to have a leak down test done tomorrow.

it should be said that I brought the car to Honda, and they agreed the noise was not normal.
I told them to inspect the head (rather than the timing belt area), and adjust the valves. they were unable to diagnose the cause of the noise, but agree the symptom is for sure the tensioner clicking on the tensioner pully. they of course want to blame the aftermarket parts i have in there (at the time, just the water pump and idler pulley), and recommended a $1400 timing belt job w/ all new Honda parts... yeah pretty much what i expected their response to be. in the next few days i'm going to swap back in ALL the original parts, down to the original belt - and i FULLY expect the noise to still be there. so its head related, but WHAT is the question, and i'm not even convinced its a valve. that would be 'too easy' for my bullshit world

I think whatever is bent in the head, is so slight, that its not going to be detectable. sure, if its the valves, then all new valves and such would fix it - but what if its something else in the head? I feel full head replacement is the only way to be sure and not throw more time and money into the trash

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd CulverDan

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 05-21-2018 at 04:46 PM..
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Sharky
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
whatever is bent or wrong, is very, very slight. i'd think it would be hard to detect with a compression check alone. i'm going to have a leak down test done tomorrow.

it should be said that I brought the car to Honda, and they agreed the noise was not normal.
I told them to inspect the head (rather than the timing belt area), and adjust the valves. they were unable to diagnose the cause of the noise, but agree the symptom is for sure the tensioner clicking on the tensioner pully. they of course want to blame the aftermarket parts i have in there (at the time, just the water pump and idler pulley), and recommended a $1400 timing belt job w/ all new Honda parts... yeah pretty much what i expected their response to be. in the next few days i'm going to swap back in ALL the original parts, down to the original belt - and i FULLY expect the noise to still be there. so its head related, but WHAT is the question, and i'm not even convinced its a valve. that would be 'too easy' for my bullshit world

I think whatever is bent in the head, is so slight, that its not going to be detectable. sure, if its the valves, then all new valves and such would fix it - but what if its something else in the head? I feel full head replacement is the only way to be sure and not throw more time and money into the trash
Internet diagnosis is tough, but I think you are panicking a little soon. If the compression is good, i canít believe itís a bent valve. Double check the timing and replace the tensioner if the timing checks out. While you have the tension off the belt, spin the water pump to make sure it is t binding or possibly have a bearing problem. Tighten up and try again. Throwing parts at is, especially a new head before accurately diagnosis, is a great way to throw away $$$.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #19
SpeedyCorky

Contributor +++++2%

been there done that. 4 times now swapping out various parts. Noise still present. water pump only thing i havent swapped and it feels GREAT

Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #20
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
How much more money you wanna spend to solve the mystery? And youíd need to drive it a bit as Iím not in the East Bay.

If you want my free internet diagnosis? Ehhhh, lets go with a pitted/flattened cam lobe.
TheRobSJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
SpeedyCorky

Contributor +++++2%

wellllll

put back in all the OEM parts, minus the belt - just couldnt bring myself to reinstall a belt with 115k on it.

aaaaand the ticking noise is noticably diminished, and has changed a bit as to when/where it makes it in the RPMs (used to be around 1500, now its around 2000rpm)... the ticking sound is diminished to the point that if it was present before this timing belt change saga, that it is soft enough that i highly, highly doubt i would have noticed it. there also used to be a "wwwiiiiirrrrr" kinda pulley sound that is now no longer present... stethoscope on the TB tensioner pulley confirms its ticking around a bit was it was before, but less 'hard' you might say... still harder than i'd like or suspect it would be, but its really hard to shake a stick at the engine now and say something is 'wrong'.

its hard to say the issue is 'solved', i'd really have to go listen to a few other Odyssey motors... whiiich is exactly what i'm going to do.
its really hard for me to blame the idler pulley, so i'm leaning toward the water pump. really tho - just dont get it.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #22
SpeedyCorky

Contributor +++++2%

evidence points to a faulty water pump, but the pumps feels to spin very freely and with a nice solid, consistent feel, as it should. but it, and the idler pulley are the only things that i swapped out that makes its current setup any different than the last *ahem* 4 times I did the job. the noise is FOR SURE greatly diminished, and is now well into the what i would easily consider normal. my VW Golf R kinda ticks in a similar sounding way, and it runs great and i havent done any dumbass mechanical things on it (yet)..

as said, i'm gonna go put a stethoscope on some other Odyssey TB tensioners and pullies

i know internet diagnosis is hard, thanks for all your tips man. you and a few Odyssey forum guys really helped me figure this out. i sure didnt think the outcome would be this simple (and i really, really hope the story ends here....). lord knows i wont be buying any more after market parts for such a 'big job' as timing belt, double especially something as involved and deep as a water pump

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 05-23-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Of course the Honda part would be ideal. But you can go aftermarket safely as long as the brand is the same supplier we use. I believe all our pumps are made by Yamada or Aisin.

When I walked the floor at the AAPEX show last year, I honestly stopped counting past 50 how many Asian or Indian companies I’ve never heard of had their crappy knock off pumps and other parts on display. And they’re all willing to greatly undercut the name brands and/or OEMs. So it’s very much a case of buyer beware when it comes to buying aftermarket parts.

You can absolutely have a water pump or any other thing where a bearing is involved, and it “feels” good when you turn it by hand, but makes an awful noise when it’s in use on the vehicle. Honda wheel bearings are well known for passing the feel test while very much being bad.
TheRobSJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #24
FLH03RIDER
Recedite, plebes!

Motorcycles: Mmmmm, yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I would recommend Precision Auto repair in Pleasanton. Their main focus has been Honda cars for decades. I used them way back when I had a high mileage Accord. I have friends with Hondas that have all of their work done there.

https://www.precisionautorepair.com/
THIS! (if issue hasn't been resolved.) Have used them for years on three different Acura's. RL Special Edition, TL-S, and Legend Coupe. Ask for Ben.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98RL.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	508743   Click image for larger version

Name:	98RL2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	508748  
Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #25
buellistic