Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
asdfghwy
Veteran
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: south bay
Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Any SJPD on here?

I was pulled over for my tint near my house and had an absolutely great encounter with 2 officers last Friday who I could tell really cared about the community. We ended up discussing a plethora of stuff for maybe 20-30mins on the side of the road.

I only got one of their names down, my question is how can I pass along a philz or starbucks giftcard and a tiny note?

If you work in SJPD I'd be happy to give you one of the names to see if you know them and can pass this on.
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
295566
Five Apples
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R
Name:
If the encounter began as a traffic stop, it'll be in the CAD system. Maybe you can try to call the non-emergency line, and ask for their names? Explain the situation to a supervisor, if they won't give it to you directly. Or even you can ask which shift they were working, which will lead to my next point...

Most, if not all, departments have policies against accepting gifts from the public. They are almost always well intentioned, but put officers in a tough spot. Much easier for all parties if you buy bagels, coffee, donuts (lol) for the whole shift, so they can pass around at lineup. Include your note (thanks Officers X and Y for a great encounter) and the Sgt will almost assuredly give them a shout out for the good work.

Just my $.02
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
nbean16
The Art of Seduction
 
nbean16's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North San Jose
Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R (sold)
Name: Nick
I work for SJPD. I'll PM you.
nbean16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
nbean16
The Art of Seduction
 
nbean16's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North San Jose
Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R (sold)
Name: Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
If the encounter began as a traffic stop, it'll be in the CAD system. Maybe you can try to call the non-emergency line, and ask for their names? Explain the situation to a supervisor, if they won't give it to you directly. Or even you can ask which shift they were working, which will lead to my next point...

Most, if not all, departments have policies against accepting gifts from the public. They are almost always well intentioned, but put officers in a tough spot. Much easier for all parties if you buy bagels, coffee, donuts (lol) for the whole shift, so they can pass around at lineup. Include your note (thanks Officers X and Y for a great encounter) and the Sgt will almost assuredly give them a shout out for the good work.

Just my $.02
Gonna be an expensive box of bagels for the whole shift at SJPD
nbean16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
295566
Five Apples
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post
Gonna be an expensive box of bagels for the whole shift at SJPD
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
Curt
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SF
Motorcycles: yzf-r6
Name:
So did you get cited for the tints or not? I had two great encounters with SFPD and DCPD, but in both cases they let me off with a great chat and no citations.
__________________
<!-- Insert backlinks here -->
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Nice of you OP.
__________________
Your friendly neighborhood.... Budman
BARF Terms of Service Be a BARF Contributor!
Support those that support Barf! BARF Sponsors
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
summitdog
Motorcycle Lawyer
 
summitdog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: GSXR 50, GSXR 400, CBR 400, VFR 400, GS 750, Honda XVL600 (Transalp), KTM 950 Super Enduro
Name: Scotty
In my opinion, the officers would much prefer a letter to their supervisors indicating that you had a very positive experience with them. LEOs get an earful of complaints from the public much more often than compliments.

Scotty
__________________
General Disclaimer: Nothing in the above posting is intended as, nor should it be construed as, legal advice.
Every situation has a particular nuance that needs to be considered individually.
If you believe you need legal advice, please seek out an attorney.

Scotty Storey, Attorneys at Law
247 North Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112
408-920-6300 / 800-264-4379
sstorey@scottystorey.com
Former AFM Secretary of the Board and Race #733
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
bojangle
FN # 40
 
bojangle's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Bay
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitdog View Post
In my opinion, the officers would much prefer a letter to their supervisors indicating that you had a very positive experience with them. LEOs get an earful of complaints from the public much more often than compliments.

Scotty
This is true.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
asdfghwy
Veteran
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: south bay
Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
So did you get cited for the tints or not? I had two great encounters with SFPD and DCPD, but in both cases they let me off with a great chat and no citations.
There were a couple things they used discretion and did not cite me for (all minor, non moving violation stuff), even though I was fully ready for them---

I wouldn't even have been upset with the tickets, those guys were so down to earth and you can tell they actually care about the community---which is my community as I was pulled over in the area of SJ I grew up and lived in my whole life.

Hopefully those two guys are the regular beat cops there, cause I'm sure they will do their best to take care of my/our area.


Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Nice of you OP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by summitdog View Post
In my opinion, the officers would much prefer a letter to their supervisors indicating that you had a very positive experience with them. LEOs get an earful of complaints from the public much more often than compliments.

Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
This is true.
I already did something via an online form, hopefully it reached them and their superiors. A barfer reached out via PM, hopefully we can arrange for something else as well.
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.