Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

AMA #: 2823804
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 8%

Motorcycles: 2005 Concours 2002 KLR
Name: The Koi
Tracking a car...

Hi LEO friends, sorry about that speeding and DY crossing I do all the time...

So, a friend of mine recently lost her father and is trying to track down his classic Vega and Monza. He sold them before he passed and she's trying to figure out if they are still around.

I've ran out of ideas on how to find out the vin information or really any history on these cars and was wondering if our friendly LEOs had any ideas? I don't know if you can research cars by their owner, or a list of cars owned by someone. DMV has been no help nor was his insurance agency when we contacted them.

Ideas?

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
i_am_the_koi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
Are there any photos with license plate or old registration cards in boxes somewhere? I recently had DMV mail me a letter that basically notified me a previous owner of my truck wanted to know who owned it now and he was given my information. Not sure how to go about getting the info.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_the_koi View Post
I don't know if you can research cars by their owner, or a list of cars owned by someone. DMV has been no help nor was his insurance agency when we contacted them.
Not without a legal reason for doing so. And I really don't see a way around it due to privacy laws. Federal law was passed in '94 (and subsequently state law) preventing the release of personal vehicle registration information. Even if you found the plate or the VIN, I can't think of a lawful reason for that information to be provided to your friend.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Not without a legal reason for doing so. And I really don't see a way around it due to privacy laws. Federal law was passed in '94 (and subsequently state law) preventing the release of personal vehicle registration information. Even if you found the plate or the VIN, I can't think of a lawful reason for that information to be provided to your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKruser View Post
I recently had DMV mail me a letter that basically notified me a previous owner of my truck wanted to know who owned it now and he was given my information. Not sure how to go about getting the info.
typical
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
typical
No real conflict there - it used to be a person could go into DMV and ask for the history of a vehicle, and would receive a list of prior owners. Now a person can go into DMV and ask for a history of a vehicle and the DMV will contact the prior owners to see if they want their information given to the requestor. It's up to the individula whether or not their information is given out, whereas before they had no say in the matter.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
I didn't have a choice. They gave my info without my consent. But with my info on his bill of sale he already had my info. I called DMV to ask what was up and they said they already provided my info. Haven't heard from the guy so not sure what he wanted.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKruser View Post
I didn't have a choice. They gave my info without my consent. But with my info on his bill of sale he already had my info. I called DMV to ask what was up and they said they already provided my info. Haven't heard from the guy so not sure what he wanted.
The drugs he hide in the door panels
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote