Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 05-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #2716
buellistic
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: kool loud one + 11 more
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

But it's still fat. Probably 300lbs. I can't even imagine what it would be like riding something modern that was 70lbs lighter.
My DRz400 was 337lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel...
buellistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #2717
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Well the little Ninja is up for sale soon..

Wondering if I should take the proceeds and buy something like a KDX.

Thoughts? Good step up from the DR? I'd like to take the off road stuff a little more seriously.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #2718
yumdumpster
Veteran

Motorcycles: STriple, XR650R, WR450F
Name: Matt
Quote:

Thoughts? Good step up from the DR? I'd like to take the off road stuff a little more seriously.
What about a DRZ 400 S or E. E would be better if it doesnt need to be street legal. A WR 250 R would be in about the same category if you need a street legal small dual sport.

I have had two DRZ400SM's which is basically an S with USD forks and 17's and they are dead simple to work on, the aftermarket for them is massive and parts are dirt cheap. The can make decent power With just a 3x3 full exhaust and a Rejet as well.
yumdumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #2719
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumdumpster View Post
What about a DRZ 400 S or E. E would be better if it doesnt need to be street legal. A WR 250 R would be in about the same category if you need a street legal small dual sport.

I have had two DRZ400SM's which is basically an S with USD forks and 17's and they are dead simple to work on, the aftermarket for them is massive and parts are dirt cheap. The can make decent power With just a 3x3 full exhaust and a Rejet as well.
I've already got the late model DR350 (plated dirt model) with the fully adjustable front/rear suspension. For general dual sporting, it's (IMO) comparable to the DRZ and WRR. I also already fabbed up a 17" front from a GS500, allowing use of modern radials... Threw on an 18" BT45 out back, and it was good enough to drag a whole lot of knee at the kart track, which is good enough for me considering the modest investment.

IMO, both of those (WRR and DRZ) are still somewhat heavy for dirt, and worse than the DR350 I have. Because my DR350 is a dirt model, it weighs in at roughly 285lbs wet... Both the DRZ and WRR are still heavier than that. For the extra money I'd have to pay for either of those, I'm not convinced that extra cash would yield a totally different experience from what I already have... you know?

For under 2k, I'm not sure I could do better than a KDX. (I'd keep the DR350 for SuMo & dual sporting.) If I *could* do better, I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #2720
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
You can't go wrong with a KDX. Nimble, reliable, cheap to own. Ive had one for 16 years, and its still fun to ride.
Well done on those hills you posted pics of, btw.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:19 AM   #2721
brichter
Spun out freakshow

AMA #: 1108554
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Fast & Dirty!
Name: ID Thief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumdumpster View Post
Yeah I meant more the jetting, Periodic maintenance is just a given. Considering this will be street ridden what the usual time between adjustments?
Depends on how you ride on the street...

I change the oil every 1500 miles on the one with plates, and checked the valves when I did the first oil change (they were fine). Then I checked them at the second oil change, and the clearance hadn't changed so I waited until the 4th oil change, still good. I had to adjust them at the 5th oil change, but they were barely on the tight side. At #7 they were fine, and I just did #8 and they were still good to go.

They will stay static for a while, then they will gradually start to get tighter at some point. As they wear, the time it takes them to get tighter gets shorter, and when you're adjusting them every oil change, you know it's time to stock up on parts for the top end.

The manual calls for oil changes and valve inspections every 600 miles for non-competiton use, and as-needed for competition use.

Originally posted by Cruisingram
You know, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
it doesn't matter whose fault it was when you're lying in the graveyard.

Last edited by brichter; 05-05-2018 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: mfg spec
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #2722
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Quote:

Really really tough to beat a KDX200/220 for offroad and woods riding on a budget. Unless you happen upon a decent KTM 200 XCW for a good price. 99+ YZ250's can make great offroad bikes too, but will require some significant mods and tuning to get where the KDX or KTW XCW is out of the box. Which brings us back to the KDX. For the money, one of the best offroad bikes you can buy.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #2723
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
I bought one of these . . .
Attachment 507818

. . . to do this . . . .
Attachment 507819

. . .to change out these . . .
Attachment 507820

works on most wheels & center cases.
The hot plate trick -like it.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #2724
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Put a few hours and a few miles on my 450 on a ride with other plated 4 strokes. Nice weather, flowers, butterflies.

youtu.be/Kq7ZYnK-BLk
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #2725
PASTAPWR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 RSV Mille
Name:
My son and I spent Sat at Holister doing the MSF dirt bike class. Putting 8 miles in on the range has indeed helped him with clutch control. Always good to do drills and learn proper technique. Was a good day. Enjoyed our instructors and their teachings.

"Lines? How about staying to the left of the white one and right of the yellow ones. It's called a lane and you're supposed to stay in your own. Practice that for a while first... " - Dougmo531
PASTAPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #2726
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASTAPWR View Post
My son and I spent Sat at Holister doing the MSF dirt bike class. Putting 8 miles in on the range has indeed helped him with clutch control. Always good to do drills and learn proper technique. Was a good day. Enjoyed our instructors and their teachings.
That is like free with HHORA membership, correct? And they can provide motos I think. I wish more folks would take minute ride brfore Eric ran out of battery. 32 miles. I still had a quarter charge left.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #2727
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
Put a few hours and a few miles on my 450 on a ride with other plated 4 strokes. Nice weather, flowers, butterflies.

Who were those guys, dust devils?
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #2728
PASTAPWR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 RSV Mille
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
That is like free with HHORA membership, correct? And they can provide motos I think. I wish more folks would take minute ride brfore Eric ran out of battery. 32 miles. I still had a quarter charge left.

Yes, free with HHORA membership. Yes, they have loaner bikes and some equipment if needed. All of this is worked out upon registration. We used our own bikes and gear, but the others in the class were on loaner bikes and some were using loaner gear to some extent. The bikes I saw on Saturday were all Hondas, CRF 150Fs and CRF 230Fs.

Membership was $25 for a one year family membership. Family membership covered both of us. Quite the deal with normal price being listed at $300 per student.

"Lines? How about staying to the left of the white one and right of the yellow ones. It's called a lane and you're supposed to stay in your own. Practice that for a while first... " - Dougmo531
PASTAPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #2729
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Who were those guys, dust devils?
Yeah Dust Devils and hangers-on. Husaberg rider is a guy from work. KTM guy was painfully bad on downhills.

That was good exercise for clutch control. I also showed off my trials skills with slow full-lock turns and crashed twice doing it. Didn't launch the bike into anybody's truck, though. WR450F steering lock and low power sucks ass compared to Gas Gas trials bike.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #2730
yumdumpster
Veteran

Motorcycles: STriple, XR650R, WR450F
Name: Matt
Anyone in the east bay have the Jig to change tires? My WR is due for a new one. I can pay in beer and pennies, may also offer quarters and cheese if you sweet talk me.
yumdumpster is offline   Reply With Quote