Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Sponsors > The Suspension Forum Presented by GP Suspension

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
GP Suspension
Winning. Every. Time

BARF Sponsor

Motorcycles: Anything with 2-wheels!
Name:
A new forum with new focus: Suspension and Handling

Welcome all to the GP Suspension forum for Bike related suspension and handling questions, comments, discussions and issues. All of us at GP Suspension are eager to help riders with their getting their bikes setup, handling excellent and having great rides!

GP Suspension is based in Ventura County, CA, in the town of Oxnard. For over 20 years, GP Suspension has manufactured high end suspension components for all type of motorcycles. GP Suspension produces 25mm race cartridges, our 20mm re-valve kits and coming in the end of spring, our 22mm race cartridge kit. We are a full service suspension center for all other brands: Penkse, Ohlins, K-Tech, Bitubo, WP, Racetech, Traxxion Dynamics, JRI, Nitron, and many others. Our expertise in manufacturing a kit with some of the best front end feel and performance keeps riders in the sweet spot of their riding. Our products all are backed by a 30 day money back guarantee when installed and sold by an authorized GP Suspension dealer.

Our GP Suspension techs are experts in bike setup and suspension design. GP Suspension factory support vehicles will be at all AFM and CVMA rounds in 2017 and select track days. Please stop by and talk with us. We're here to help!

We'll be actively monitoring this forum to answer your questions as well. Thanks!

(805) 251-1400
2041 Cabot Place, Unit F Oxnard, CA 93030

Winning. Every. Day.
GP Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Wow! Nice, nice nice. I am glad to see this asset on BARF. FWIW I run GP on my 750 and Ohlins on my 1000. I love them both, the GP setup is just flawless.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Bassem
Veteran

Moderator: Trackday Forum
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: R6 (track), 510 SMR, Panigale Tricolore
Name: Bassem
Awesome
AFM #961

BARF TOS
Bassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

I'll start off with a question:

Bike: GSXR1000, 08. Extended fork caps, front raised about 10mm. Rear shock height total about 321mm. (Shock plus 2mm shim)

New setup, just rode it. Working well on turnin and corner exit, but seems to be spinning up more on exit. Drop rear few mm?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
GP Suspension
Winning. Every. Time

BARF Sponsor

Motorcycles: Anything with 2-wheels!
Name:
Ernie,

GP Suspension will have a Factory Support van and suspension tech at the Buttonwillow AFM round this weekend, as well as all AFM rounds in 2017. It's much easier to work on these things in person in a controlled enviroment. If you're going to be there, come by and we'll dial the bike in.

If you're not going to be at Buttonwillow this weekend, let's try and diagnose and better your setup here. A few standard questions:

What is your rider weight and what rear springs is on the bike? Is the shock stock? What tire is on the back and what pressures are you running?

(805) 251-1400
2041 Cabot Place, Unit F Oxnard, CA 93030

Winning. Every. Day.
GP Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
abhijitz
Radiuz

Contributor +++ 4%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2 wheels ..
Name: Abhijit
Is this sub-forum dedicated to discussion on GP Suspension parts only?
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 S1000RR Motorrad aka TaZ
Name: OuttaCtrl
Awesome! Great product and I am glad to hear D. Hodges is still part of GP Suspension.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
Outta Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Tally Whacker
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Is this the same GP Suspension that started in Portland, then moved up to Washington state? Now you're in Oxnard?
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Suspension View Post
Ernie,

GP Suspension will have a Factory Support van and suspension tech at the Buttonwillow AFM round this weekend, as well as all AFM rounds in 2017. It's much easier to work on these things in person in a controlled enviroment. If you're going to be there, come by and we'll dial the bike in.

If you're not going to be at Buttonwillow this weekend, let's try and diagnose and better your setup here. A few standard questions:

What is your rider weight and what rear springs is on the bike? Is the shock stock? What tire is on the back and what pressures are you running?
145 no suit, it's a 575# (10.2kg.mm) if I remember correctly. Will have to double check. Penske triple. Total length is as mentioned above including shims.

Pirelli SC2.5 (Philip Island) slick, 200. Fairly cool day, low 70s, track temp probably in mid to high 80s, no higher. 25psi cold. May have just been too cool, I never really got a lot of heat in the tires.

When I first set up the bike I weighed 159, and sprung it for that. Thinking about going down a bit.

Last edited by afm199; 03-19-2017 at 07:48 AM..
afm199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Mtfuzzy17

Motorcycles: ZX10R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
145 no suit, it's a 575# (10.2kg.mm) if I remember correctly. Will have to double check. Penske triple. Total length is as mentioned above including shims.

Pirelli SC2.5 (Philip Island) slick, 200. Fairly cool day, low 70s, track temp probably in mid to high 80s, no higher. 25psi cold. May have just been too cool, I never really got a lot of heat in the tires.

When I first set up the bike I weighed 159, and sprung it for that. Thinking about going down a bit.
Your geometry is in the ball park but looking at your tire pressure in the rear seems a bit high.
We like to see 25/26 hot off the track for better grip.
Mtfuzzy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Mtfuzzy17

Motorcycles: ZX10R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
Is this sub-forum dedicated to discussion on GP Suspension parts only?
No sir. This page is open for all brands of Suspension
Mtfuzzy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Whacker View Post
Is this the same GP Suspension that started in Portland, then moved up to Washington state? Now you're in Oxnard?
I actually thought they were out of LA, because I had a bike worked on by them down there 10-11 years ago.
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Originally out of Portland, then sold and moved to Seattle area and now, brought Dave Hodges back and moved to Ventura county.
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Tally Whacker
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Dave Hodges is a genius. He built a custom stack for the fork on my '04 Speed Triple that was unreal- so plush and yet so firm at the same time.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
The dude is scary smart.