Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Motorcycles: 06' CBR600RR & '06 ZX-6R
Name:
Triumples Triple Failure...

*Edit*
If you want to respond to this, please read all of the rest of the freaking messages... we all already understand, and know that the below information is innaccurate... so don't be the 50th person to unknowingly state what we already know.
*End Edit*

I was talking to my dad, who is an degreed Engineer from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and I was telling him about all the new bikes and when I got to the Triumph Triple he laughed in my face. I, obviously, confused asked whats wrong w/ the bike? He stated that one of the first things he learned in school was the major design flaws for three cylinder engines. The flaw is YOU DON'T MAKE ONE. They can't be balanced right and this causes major wear and tear in the engine and possibly heat problems. Three cylinder engines are not a good idea. although, personally, I think the 675 looks gorgeous... I totally ruled it out of my books the moment he told me this. Don't know if people have already mentioned this, but I haven't seen anything on it and thought I'd share my new knowledge on the matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by squid vicious
Duuuude. You can't just GO from Better of Dead to Men At Work. You gotta eeaaassse into it.
Quote:
Originally posted by JackTheTripper
Here ya go!

Last edited by squirrls; 12-08-2005 at 05:32 PM..
squirrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
squid vicious
nomnomnomnom

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000ds
Name: Brian
Tell him to go pick up an older 955, and then come report when the thing self destructs. Hint: don't hold your breath.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
xgambit
Post Count +1

2006 Barfie
Contributor +

Motorcycles: XB9s XB12s 1125CR 450SMR WR250X
Name: Chess
of course he is right! just like when he told you that the earth is flat.
xgambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
budbandit
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06

Motorcycles: 2006 GSXR 1000
Name:
One of the problems of the highly educated is that they often don't know shit, or put more kindly, they allow relatively minor theoretical considerations mentioned in passing in some text as being more important than empirical evidence right in front of their eyes.
budbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
/shrugs

Maybe they designed it differently than my dad had been taught or something. However, no offense to you, my dad is probably slightly more educated in this area. I'm not ruling out that my dad could be wrong. I'm not at all. I mean if they are going to make a bike and sell it worldwide... I'm sure they know something... however engineering is engineering and I seriously doubt that something would change that would allow a 3 cylinder engine to balance well. Maybe they have. Maybe not. If you could show me proof that'd be awesome. I'm just trying to seek the truth and since my dad knows infinitly more about engineering and mechanics than I do, I'll take his word until proof has been shown to me. Proof is not saying "grab a bike w/ 3 cylinders and see if it falls apart" I never said anything about the bike falling apart. I said heat problem and problems with wear and tear (meaning faster than normal wear/tear than say, a 4 cylinder engine)

Quote:
Duuuude. You can't just GO from Better of Dead to Men At Work. You gotta eeaaassse into it.
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
DucatiHoney
unfair, unmedicated

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 Ducati Monster M900
Name: Heather
Triumphs have a lot of downsides...being English is number one. However, I've never heard of any problems with the triple cylinder engine. It's quite a lovely ride actually and the new S3 ain't a half bad bike if I may say so.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by xgambit
of course he is right! just like when he told you that the earth is flat.
Don't bash things that you do not know. You obviously don't carry a BA in Engineering and don't have to draw up designs and all that crap on a day to day basis. Shut the fuck up before you talk shit about my dad who probably has way more knowledge than yourself. I didn't grab some schematic of the triples engine (which I think I have in a magazine) I just told him it was three cylinder and he told me what he know. Before you bash someones father, do research and show proof.

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by budbandit
One of the problems of the highly educated is that they often don't know shit, or put more kindly, they allow relatively minor theoretical considerations mentioned in passing in some text as being more important than empirical evidence right in front of their eyes.
I understand this and generally agree. However, my dad isn't just one of those book smart people. My dad is extremely intelligent and logical. and btw, he rode a suzuki dual purpose for 35 years. So he isn't some crappy cager m/c basher. I used to ride dirt bikes w/ him all the time. So don't think he is bashing on bikes because he is a typical cager. He isn't. He might just be slightly misinformed (mostly due to my own fault, bash myself, not my dad)

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
"Triumples Triple Failure..."

How I get the letter 'l' mixed up w/ the letter 'h' I do not know. I also don't know why I added an 'e'... I'll blame it on my sisters laptop since I'm not on my own rig... lol :-/

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Rcorace
Rookie

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 08 CBR1000RR, 07 Super Duke, 05 crf450x, 01 cr250r
Name:
I have a mechanical engineering degree from Cal Poly myself, and I'm afraid your dad is not correct. With proper design the triples are fine or Triumph would not be building them. I would say it is safe to say Triumph's engineers are more knowledgeable than your dad when it comes to engine design. I would love to have the new 675!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #11
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: KTM
Name: .
i'd probably respect your dad a lot more if he want to Cal Tech instead of CAL Poly :-p

ask your dad what he thinks of the wankel.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
squirrls
My dad is an engineer

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rcorace
I have a mechanical engineering degree from Cal Poly myself, and I'm afraid your dad is not correct. With proper design the triples are fine or Triumph would not be building them. I would say it is safe to say Triumph's engineers are more knowledgeable than your dad when it comes to engine design. I would love to have the new 675!
You're probably correct. Show me proof. Explain to me why it balances as well as a 4-cylinder and how it doesn't have significant wear/tear in comparison to a 4-cylinder. I am not being sarcastic or demeaning. I'm being serious I want to know so I can show him and see what he thinks. (I have no doubt the engineers know more than him, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is possible, Harley put out super crappy bikes that feel apart for years and whos to say Triumph couldn't do the same but for a sport bike?)

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
drizz
it's monkey madness!

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2 lil, 2 big
Name: Dave
paging thatch...
drizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Chotu-Mama
Mmmmmmm...beeeer

Motorcycles: 1991 Honda CBR600 f2
Name:
my daddy said, "boys have a penis and girls have a vagina!"

sorry...always wanted to say that "no it's NOT A TUMA!!!"
Chotu-Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #15
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: FZ-07
Name: Chuck
The 955 is balanced at least as well as most four cylinder engines. If it takes a balance shaft or two, no big deal, since there are *ahem* four cylinder engines that have resorted to balance shafts. The only fundamental objection I can think of off-hand would be balance, so that's been addressed.

There have been numerous three cylinder engines over the past three decades. Triumph and BSA triples, Kawasaki triples, Yamaha at one point, and currently Benelli in addition to Triumph.

It is empirical, not theoretical, to note that there are no known fundamental problems with the Triumph Triples, going back over ten years. No broken crankshafts, common mechanical failures, whatever.

So without knowing more about what the specific deficiency is, it's hard to say too much more.