• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Legalize it...

b_rizzle

in the clouds
Moto(s)
15 Ninja1k, 05 dl1000, 02 xr650r
Name
Brandon
Tom Ammiano intros Pot legislation...

Could it finally be upon us? Could the economy be so shitty that state lawmakers will finally try to cash in off the kind bud? :party I think it's about time to cash in. The gov't makes so much money from cigarette taxes, why not weed? If regulated, maybe it would put a dent in illegal street sales which would be a win/win if you ask me...

(02-23) 15:04 PST SACRAMENTO --

California would become the first state in the nation to legalize marijuana for recreational use under a bill introduced today by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco.
The proposal would regulate marijuana like alcohol, with people over 21 years old allowed to grow, buy, sell and possess cannabis - all of which is barred by federal law.

Ammiano said taxes and other fees that accompany regulation could put more than a billion dollars a year into state coffers at a time when revenues continue to decline. He said he anticipates the federal government could soften its stance on marijuana under the Obama administration.

"We could in fact have the political will to do something, and certainly in the meantime this is a public policy call and I think it's worth the discussion," Ammiano said. "I think the outcome would be very healthy for California and California's economy."

A spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Agency in Washington, D.C., declined to comment on the proposal.

The use of marijuana for medical conditions has been legal in California since voters approved Proposition 215 in 1996.

Let's do it already! Where do i sign up?
:teeth:party

Edit: $50/oz. tax? Ummm... This may need some fine tuning...

Last edited:
don't they already make more money by taking it away from people who grow/deal illegally with a nice bail fund, then turn around and and sell the goods to someone with a cannabis card? kind of like why bars are legal...make money off of dui's...etc.

$50/oz is a small price to pay, because if you get napped with a zip, the fines a whole lot more than $50 :rofl

And on top of the $50 an ounce tax you know they will charge like $350 an ounce. I'm all for the legalization but if its gonna cost me almost twice than I am currently paying I am not. :x

And on top of the $50 an ounce tax you know they will charge like $350 an ounce. I'm all for the legalization but if its gonna cost me almost twice than I am currently paying I am not. :x

no, it's a good thing for you. just keep buying the same ole. how are they going to know where you got it.

don't they already make more money by taking it away from people who grow/deal illegally with a nice bail fund, then turn around and and sell the goods to someone with a cannabis card? kind of like why bars are legal...make money off of dui's...etc.

do you think the state would make more money from incarcerating people or from taxing them? I think b) is the answer i'd chose.
People always say the state makes money from prisons. It does, however it consumes much more than it makes.

$50/per oz isn't bad when compared with legal fees, you are correct. I just said fine tuning... I think they should keep all the laws from prop 215 too, so people with medical conditions can still grow...

Cops can still enforce Fed law. So its not a get out of jail free card. + feds could penalize the State..

do you think the state would make more money from incarcerating people or from taxing them? I think b) is the answer i'd chose.
People always say the state makes money from prisons. It does, however it consumes much more than it makes.

$50/per oz isn't bad when compared with legal fees, you are correct. I just said fine tuning... I think they should keep all the laws from prop 215 too, so people with medical conditions can still grow...

just on the side not, i'd love for it to be legal. :thumbup i don't see why it's illegal in the first place yet alcohol is legal? twisted america...

I envision all the current perks of 215, but without the need for medical proof. Medical proof could be used to prove a need for growing permits.
Just imagine. Like how you can home-brew beer, you could be a hobby grower. It's a great idea, but somehow i think our puritanical ways will prevent this. I can always hope.

Can someone put the $50/oz tax in to numbers us non-smokers can understand...i.e. how much does an ounce cost usually?

if its gonna happen its gonna happen within a few years.

Cops can still enforce Fed law. So its not a get out of jail free card. + feds could penalize the State..

I believe the bill forbids state police departments from enforcing federal marijuana laws.

50 bucks an ounce depends on how good you like your ganja. Top grade stuff costs about 300 an ounce.
This of course, depends on where you get it.

Can someone put the $50/oz tax in to numbers us non-smokers can understand...i.e. how much does an ounce cost usually?

from what i've heard :cool street price for good quality is anywhere from $300-$500. (there are suckers out there...)
from an MMD (medical marijuana dispensary) about $180-$300

For cheap weed, you can get an OZ for $60... but it's crap...

This is what i've heard...

I seriously doubt the state is selling confiscated weed to those with a cannabis card.

Is that really what you ment to say.

I believe the bill forbids state police departments from enforcing federal marijuana laws.

50 bucks an ounce depends on how good you like your ganja. Top grade stuff costs about 300 an ounce.
This of course, depends on where you get it.

wouldent stand up against the supremacy clause.

Back