An interesting start during the sidecar race today (video)

Moike

Shit Magnet
Moto(s)
2002 Suzuki K2 GSX-R1000
I'll write up my normal race report later, (we got a 7th and 5th) but this is too intense to wait.

Sunday Round 3 AHRMA Willow Springs Corsa MotoClassica SRA-West Round Three Race II start. Footage from onboard the Formula 1 Sidecar of #101 of Sean Bakken.

The flag drops and the race is under way. You can see me on the white Becker on the far left of the screen (note BARF twofinger) momentarily as I take off in the lead and then everything goes sideways.

Sean gets hit by Rick Murray on the LCR from behind forcing Sean into Leon Van Orsdale on the FII sagging Sean's NACA ducting on Leon's exhaust. Rick Murray and Brother Bill shoot up the back of both rigs doing a complete barrel roll landing upside down. Sean's passenger Roger was ejected after being contacted by Rick's LCR and Brother Bill (who you see tumbling in the video) was shot forward in front of the tumbling LCR. Sean had the choice of hitting Brother Bill or running into Rick's LCR and chose to sacrafice his bodywork and nudge Rick's LCR.

Injuries were minimal with only a couple minor broken bones for Brother Bill and Roger despite the violence of the crash. Leon Van Orsdale #291, Sean Bakken #101, Rick Murray #75 were not able to re-grid for the restart due to damage sustained to their sidecars during the incident.

youtu.be/ <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBSQZKdHPTk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBSQZKdHPTk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posters Note: Not a drop of fluid of any kind was spilled on the track or surrounding surface during this entire incident due to the superior safety and fluid containment regulations required by the FIM and ACU for modern sidecar racing.

Last edited:
Some followup photos...

The damage in the pits.

521716614_8jGNn-XL.jpg

521728152_B4H7A-XL.jpg

521732213_U8piX-XL.jpg

521719905_9wykw-XL.jpg

Even I got a pretty good bump as his chair wheel came down upside down on and just clipped top of my right rear as I was trying to boogie out of harms way. Cracked up my bodywork and put a NASCAR style tire groove down my shiny new paint. :cry

521733745_dnsYU-XL.jpg

521735402_2ACRf-XL.jpg

Back out on the track we rolled out for another warm-up lap and racing was good once the flag dropped.

521700525_wb3oE-XL.jpg

521811422_rEsfi-XL.jpg

-Mike-

Last edited:
Gnarly. Glad to see everyone came out of it, relatively, okay from the looks of that crash.

GL with the season.

Sarah and I split the team, and well split.

We're still best friends. You can see her standing there in the pink shirt in the second video.

Sarah is picking up a refitted to 2009 spec Baker Formula 1 from Becker Motor Works with a 2006 GSXR-1000 sidecar-spec motor. She came down with Tom this past weekend who will be training up as her new passenger. Tom hopped on the back of a CSR F1 for a session and has the aptitude for working the chair.

Sarah will be back out on the grid in the new Baker F1 in a month, and we'll be working together as a team to get Tom trained up and get her up to speed in the Baker.

Cindy came down for a simple try-out with me two weekends ago, and took to passengering like a fish to water. She's going to be my permanent passenger now. With her on the back I've finished 8th, 7th, 5th... So, extrapolate the results as we learn to work together as a team and she gets better on the back. She's been in exactly -three- races. We'll be standing on the box in no time.

Bad Cat Racing will have a two F1 car team now. #3 and #22 flying the livery out on the track.

I'm starting up 'Bad Cat Racing, LLC' getting commercial space, and we're going full-on Pro.

Today the United States and Superside America...

...Tomorrow Europe and Superside FIM World Cup.

The nascar stripe adds a "I will not move" look to the rig. Kinda kinky. Good luck to the team.

Back