• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

A BARFer in Japan

ndirienzo

Moto(s)
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple. 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
UPDATE 6/24: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7380011&postcount=25

Hey Everyone,

My last photo series from my trip to the Farallon Islands were a hit, so I figured that I'd do the same while I'm in Japan. I received a National Science Foundation fellowship to come here for the summer to do research. I'm working at the Laboratory of Neurocybernetics at Hokkaido University in Sapporo. My research involves looking at the hormonal mechanisms that underlie individual differences in behavior. Anyway, the program is 10 weeks. The first week was an orientation for the entire program, after which we disperse to our university for the last 9. I've been in Sapporo for only a couple days now, but I'm already having a great time.

On to the pictures!

This hotel was across the street from where we stayed the first night. It's a "love hotel," and pay by the hour. You can guess what it's used for
IMG6482-XL.jpg

Took this at one of the many large shrines
IMG6491-XL.jpg

Before entering any of the shrines you need to wash your hands and rinse your mouth. You take these scoop things and then pour the water into your hands
IMG6503-XL.jpg

You can get waffles and canned coffee for pretty cheap out of a vending machine. It was a great 4am snack while I was trying to get over jet lag and waking up at 3:30am
IMG6568-XL.jpg

These things were awesome... They take 8 octopi, give them a quick dredge in rice flour, then put them on the hot press. After pressing the shit out of them, out comes a super thing octopus rice cracker. It's both chewy and crispy.
IMG6590-XL.jpg

Seafood is very cheap at the market. Sushi grade tuna is about 1/2 of what it is in the US.
IMG6625-XL.jpg

At the shrines you can one of these boards for 500 yen (~$6), then you write you wish on it.
IMG6584-XL.jpg

If you're too cheap to do the above, you can buy a fortune for 100 yen. You pull it from a box and then tie it to these ropes.
IMG6585-XL.jpg

Random shot at a shrine
IMG6649-XL.jpg

At the entrance of one of the shrines there was this statue where you're supposed to rub it on the place that you're having trouble. The head and legs were by far the most worn
IMG6673-XL.jpg

IMG6677-XL.jpg

Single malt whiskey is distilled on Hokkaido. This bottle was 1200 yen ($13ish), and was super awesome. I'll be buying more since beer is pretty expensive.
IMG6714-XL.jpg

This bar is called simply "Bar Church." I gotta go grab a drink there.
IMG6742-XL.jpg

In order to asses hormone levels in the crickets I need to dissect out their brains. Step one is cutting off the head and pinning it to a plate.
IMG6756-XL.jpg

Even without a head, the body will walk, call, and clean it's cerci (the rear sensory organs). They will even pull their hind legs forward for grooming, only they don't have a mouth to clean themselves with.
IMG6793-XL.jpg

I went an bough a new lens today. The electronic stores are insane. You walk in an it's total sensory overload.
IMG6809-XL.jpg

The photo department is HUGE. Seriously, regardless of the type of electronics, they were bound to have it. There were 6 isles of earbuds alone.
IMG6802-XL.jpg

Pick a card... any card! Every item in the store was stocked at a similar density
IMG6803-L.jpg

I stumbled upon a good liquor store by my apartment. American beer is insanely expensive. About $12 for a Racer 5!
IMG6816-XL.jpg

Generally, Japanese beer has no hops and is pretty boring. Luckily the store had beer from the one Japanese brewery that does a variety of beers. They're about $6 each, but they are really good. I won't be drinking them every day at that price, but I'll grab a couple when I really need a solid IPA!
IMG6825-XL.jpg

That's a good point to call it a night... I'm going to enjoy the rest of those beers then go out and eat some takoyaki at a place down the street.

Last edited:
Nice pix! Loved my time in Japan though I never made it up to Hokkaido. You got fun times ahead. :thumbup

CRICKET HEADS CRICKET HEADS ROLY POLY CRICKET HEADS

Wow!! Awesome pics.

Haven't had the chance to explore Japan beyond a half-day trip during an overnight layover back in the late 80s... I've been wanting to go back and see more of the country.

Sweet pics Nick. You need to find some happy hour deals...

Nice photo's! Curious to know what camera and lens you use?

Great shots! If you make it down to Tokyo, check out a Club called Bauhaus in Roppongi. Bit of a cover charge, but well worth it. The house band plays great covers of 70's & 80's rock and metal songs, and they're also the barstaff. So in between sets of melting your face with their covers of Hot for Teacher and Paranoid, they're clearing your empties and bringing you fresh pitchers.

http://www.e-bauhaus.jp/english/top.html

Holy shit, Racer 5 in Japan? Awesome!

My Japanese vacation photo... :teeth

SteveInJP.JPG

Steve

I need to take a trip that way SOON, thank you for the pics keep them coming please :)

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll be in Tokyo for a few days at the end, so I'll try and cram some stuff in then. Bauhaus sounds awesome!

Sweet pics Nick. You need to find some happy hour deals...
Thanks, Jimmy. Yea, there are places that have all you can drink for a fixed cost. I'll be going soon!

Nice photo's! Curious to know what camera and lens you use?

I shoot a 5Dii mainly with a 70-200 2.8L IS v2 and a 24 1.4L v2. I shoot a the Canon 100mm 2.8 USM macro, too. I also just bought that new 40mm pancake. It's pretty nice when I don't want to look like I'm compensating for something!
IMG6821-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice photos! I'm jealous. And congrats on the NSF fellowship!! That's awesome.

Cool. Love your work.

Duuude, these are great! Please post about a hundred more before you sign off tonight!

Back