• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Don't you hate it when...(forget to switch off reserve)

sckego

doesn't like crashing
Moto(s)
are fun
Name
Kegan
BARF perks
AMA #3283468
... you realize that you forgot to switch the tank off of reserve after your last fillup?

Yes, spare gas is on the way. Just figured I'd share my stupidity while waiting.

920414_10151940359139896_1042213421_o.jpg

Happened to me once on 280. I had to walk the bike about 200 yards off the off ramp. I was finally able to wave down some landscapers who were kind enough to lend me some gas.

A Freeway Service Patrol truck stopped just a few minutes after I posted. I told him my friend was probably about 10 minutes away, and he said he didn't want to leave me standing on the side of the freeway that long and gave me a free gallon of gas so I could get going. I was stopped for probably less then 10 minutes. Thanks, FSP! :thumbup

Great. Those guys have been super cool with me too when my lemon Jetta has left me stranded.

:loser

.....tho i wont tell ya all how many times i've run outta gas..... in the past couple years..... :laughing

Been there done that.

Thank goodness for good Samaritans.

I did that on 680 and couldn't get over so I stopped on the left shoulder. CHP provided a traffic break so I could run the bike over to the other side, then FSP gave me a gallon of gas and I was off to the gas station.

I ran out of gas on the oakland side of the bridge going into the city a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to already be in the #1 lane and close to the TI exit. Dumbest. Move. Ever.

not dissin' on you folks, but this is why I always use the odometer reading, not the gas gauge (if your bike has one.) The old fashioned way still works; & check it before each & every ride! :teeth

not dissin' on you folks, but this is why I always use the odometer reading, not the gas gauge (if your bike has one.) The old fashioned way still works; & check it before each & every ride! :teeth

That's how I do it, no gas gauge on the dizzer. And I was about 20 miles to typical empty. Guess I was riding pretty hard the few days before!

I never even make it to reserve anymore. No gauge on my bike. At 215mi it needs reserve. I fill it if it goes/will go past 200mi in a trip.

I've never completely run out of gas. I learned my regular tank limit twice and got going after the reserve was on, and damn was I glad it was there.

not dissin' on you folks, but this is why I always use the odometer reading, not the gas gauge (if your bike has one.)

This. My bike has a gauge, but it's very imprecise, so I rely on the trip meter as a better indicator of how much further I can go.

And I've forgotten to switch off reserve too, but never actually run out.

Hard when you moderate your riding style consistently. I can go from mild to wild pretty easily. So flipping that throttle at will does not provide consistent MPG averages. My fault. :x

Reserve is my friend, for the most part. I've had my fair share of pushing. Gotta learn the push to one peg ride. :thumbup

... you realize that you forgot to switch the tank off of reserve after your last fillup?

Yes, spare gas is on the way. Just figured I'd share my stupidity while waiting.

920414_10151940359139896_1042213421_o.jpg

getting great gas millage, it would happen to me. happened on my dyna a week after i got it.. and i have a gas gauge :laughing

Do they still put fuel petcock in on street bikes? Other than my dirtbike I haven't seen one of those in well over a decade.

Back