Bridgeport / Milling Machine Guys?? Whats a Decent One?

Dubbington

Slamdunk Champion
I've been looking for a decent milling machine and Bridgeports are always talked about. Was bidding on a 1980 unit to day with power tables and digital read out. From my online search it said $1500 would be max.....well the sucker sold for $5,000 :x

Are there other models I should look into? My dad said he'd go in on one with me. Not sure how we'd power a 3 phase off 220 but I'll cross the road when I get there.

What kind of stuff will you be cutting? Those light duty CNC mill/routers on eBay with the step motors and Gecko controllers are awesome for the price and they'll make small aluminum cuts.

The power side is pretty easy. Rotary phase converters are fairly cheap and work great. Newer ones are much more quiet than you'd expect.

I've been looking for a decent milling machine and Bridgeports are always talked about. Was bidding on a 1980 unit to day with power tables and digital read out. From my online search it said $1500 would be max.....well the sucker sold for $5,000 :x

Are there other models I should look into? My dad said he'd go in on one with me. Not sure how we'd power a 3 phase off 220 but I'll cross the road when I get there.

Maybe the ones you see online are junk? You can't necessarily tell how good or bad a mill is just by looking at a photo. One machine could be completely worn out, crashed and improperly fixed, have a billion hours on it, have electrical issues or whatever and look exactly the same as a mechanically perfect machine sitting next to it. I've seen this shit first hand.

Also depends on what extras, if any, come with it? Not all Bridgeports are made, or maintained, equally.

What kind of stuff will you be cutting? Those light duty CNC mill/routers on eBay with the step motors and Gecko controllers are awesome for the price and they'll make small aluminum cuts.

The power side is pretty easy. Rotary phase converters are fairly cheap and work great. Newer ones are much more quiet than you'd expect.

Steel and aluminum. Main reason is to mill slides in a 80% 1911 frame. If not parallel and same depth, its a paperweight.

923725_267983736742433_1000237678_n.jpg

pic13_large.jpg

Ahhhh, cool. Yeah, the eBay units wouldn't be great for that. You still have lots of other options, are you stuck on a knee mill? I imagine you'd spend a few grand for a decent one, maybe half that for a sloppy one, but there's some hobby size mills that would work well for this and other 80%'ers. You'd still need to buy the tooling, it adds up quick. Definitely no harm in going big, you may spend a little more, but you probably won't need to upgrade down the road. I have a Littlemachineshop mill that I've used to finish a few receivers with, it handles it just fine and I'm sure it wouldn't have any issue cutting slides. It's a small desktop unit, single phase 110vac. I think the whole kit with vise and tooling was like like $1200 to my door. Still needs a DRO though.

i would not bother with a bridgport or bridgeport clone (BP, since that's a lot of typing) for what you're planning. they're huge and will sit idle 99+% of the time and since they're a bitch to move unless you are a rigger in your spare time, that means it's in the way a lot. if you stick it in a corner as is often done, you'll lose some of the working envelope that was the entire point of getting BP

wear is pretty important to discuss here briefly. there is a phenomenon where the wear is centered near the center of the table as the ways grind against each other. on a large maching like a bridgeport, whose table is 42 something inches wide (working surface, the handles and such stick out more), even if you're making 12" long parts you end up with all the wear in the center 24 inches or so, and the outer edges are nearly pristine. if you try to traverse the entire table length with any accuracy, say fly cutting something so it's flat, you end up with a U shape because the table is moving nearer and farther from the cutter as the wear in the ways does what it does.

i'll guess that 80% of the bridgeport style machines spend most of their life working in that center section of the travel and at the price point you're going to be happy with, since you're a bit of a penny pincher, there will be wear. will it affect your pistolas? i don't know.

as mentioned there are desktop machines capable of what you're after for reasonable prices. if you buy new, get something with an R8 taper in the spindle. it's by far the most common taper these days, which makes certain tooling decisions easier.

there are a number of mid size knee mills out there as well
clausing is probably the most famous
Wells Index made some too, though the spindle taper is usually not R8. i hear the manufacturer will regrind the quill to R8 for a few hundred dollars (a freaking deal) if you manage to find one.
Grizzly makes offers a chinese clone of the clausing

i think the ubiquitous Rong Fu mill drill is probably your best bet. repainted and relabled by freaking everyone, here is grizzly's version. double the price and paint it white you can have one that says Jet on it. they come up for varying degrees of silly asking prices on craigslist fairly often.

as kindof an oddball suggestion, since you're making murican guns you shold use vintage murkia to make it:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/5413168530.html
it has an MT2 taper which isn't as common but already has 3/16", 5/16", 1/4", and 1/2" collets, you can get a lot of tooling with a 1/2" shank.

if you have 220v single phase available, powering any tool won't be that hard. rotary phase converters have already been mentioned, and there are Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) which is a solid state way to do the same thing and they're usually cheaper. find an unused 3phase electric motor though, and you can build your own rotary converter (because you need projects, before you get to your projects right?)

Forgot to menti9n, if you get a BP, you can get rid of your drill press. They make great drill presses!

auntiebling speaks serious truth...
That wear (both at spindle and at the table), has to be known before buying.

So a machinist has to check it, out.

Dubbs, I recently sold a Cincinnati ToolMaster mill, 1960 vintage, that was in better shape than my 1988 Sharp 15 X 60 lathe. It had power X and Z feed, oddball taper (not R8), but I had about 15 collets for it, everything from 1/8-1inch. 1 1/2 hp, 3 phase. It had a 10 X 50 table, and was bigger and heavier than a Bridgeport. I sold it because of the cancer diagnosis, and I kind of regret selling it now. I'm also looking for a good Bridgeport. If you need a phase converter, I have a 7 1/2 hp phase converter, the motor, the control box, and the wiring to go to the mill. I had a real electrician install it, so my garage didn't burn up. It plugs into a dryer plug.

Being that I work on one every day, I tend to go more industrial than most hobbyists. Those little hobby mills? Toys. Can't take a real cut, and the accuracy just isn't there.

As far as finding a good Bridgeport, it really helps if you know someone that either has a connection in a factory of some sort,. Or know someone that has one in their garage. The place I used to work (until last month) would rebuild an old Bridgeport (sometimes putting a new, brand new head on it), then selling it to one of their buddies for $1000 or whatever. I was waiting for one of those deals myself, and a Mori Seiki lathe (baddest ass manual lathes I've ever used) to go up for sale. No auction, just a backdoor deal.

A new Bridgeport is about $15,000. A pretty nice one is probably $5000-$7500. $1500? That one is probably a drill press, as far as being worn out goes.

The better a machine you buy, the more accurate, better results you'll get. I don't think you'd be satisfied with the results of one of those toy mills. That horizontal in the Craigslist ad is probably a decent machine, but it would probably be a bitch to set up to cut those slide ways on a .45, or do a trigger pocket on an 80% AR. I've done them on my old mill, and a CNC mill,, and vertical mill is the way to go. It can be done, but ease of set up isn't there.

Good luck Dubbs. Get someone to go with you that knows about condition of milling machines. It will save some headaches later.

Nice bunch of info guys. Good point about the wear issue. My dad knows a guy with a bridgeport who's unfortunately getting older and losing his eyesight, might be worth while waiting on that one. Those mill/drill smaller units looks cool. I'd just have to research enough about about their accuracy.

A fullsize brigeport weighs like 5-6000lbs :laughing

A series I bridgeport weighs 2,000lbs and a series II weighs 5-6000lbs.

I could fork over around $300 in tools/jigs and be able to cut the rails and drill necessary holes in a 1911/2011 frame.

This jig cuts perfect parallel rails and the carbide cutters on the side will do about a 8 steel frames before needing to be replaced.

youtu.be/y3OPHH8A1nY

Series 2 is pretty large. My Cincinnati was about 3000 lbs, I moved it around my garage with a wrecking bar, 1 inch at a time.

Maybe a decent deal. Probably lots of interest already though
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/5424929883.html

Nice bunch of info guys. Good point about the wear issue. My dad knows a guy with a bridgeport who's unfortunately getting older and losing his eyesight, might be worth while waiting on that one. Those mill/drill smaller units looks cool. I'd just have to research enough about about their accuracy.

A series I bridgeport weighs 2,000lbs and a series II weighs 5-6000lbs.

I could fork over around $300 in tools/jigs and be able to cut the rails and drill necessary holes in a 1911/2011 frame.

This jig cuts perfect parallel rails and the carbide cutters on the side will do about a 8 steel frames before needing to be replaced.

youtu.be/y3OPHH8A1nY

neat tool, but how many are you planning to make? If you're into production a dedicated tool makes sense.

We've got this big cocksucker at work. It's a vertical jig-bore machine. I think it would make a bitchin' CNC retrofit.

Attachments

• IMG_20160204_114859-480x853.jpg
    IMG_20160204_114859-480x853.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
My friend has one of these in his garage. It needs some restoration in order to operate but it has a tool changer!
m39shizbefore.jpg

Back