Epic vacation to Rome and cruise around the Mediterranean.

Mr Pepsi

Mr Pepsi (Brent)
Moto(s)
"Razzi" 2009 Kawi Concours GTR1400
Name
Brent
My wife and I just got married in December of 2015 in Vegas, going cheap to save money for the honeymoon of a lifetime. So we left April 9th and went to Rome for five days followed by a 12 day Cruise on Celebrity. Here is a pictoral story. (I will work a bit on these posts each day, always more to come)

001.jpg

Got up early, and on the first leg of our journey, fly to Toronto, then to Rome

002.jpg

See, they expected us

003.jpg

004.jpg

Our new home for the next five days, with free breakfast at the cafe next door

008.jpg

005.jpg

Our room is just ONE block from the Trevi Fountain

006.jpg

007.jpg

Dinner our first night was here and it was good, but not amazing. We called these guys the Mafia because they all seemed related and discussed everything and hovered as we ate. Also everyone smokes in Europe. Sheesh. One of many margherita pizzas I had on this trip.

Last edited:
009.jpg

Day 1, we walk from the Trevi to the Colosseum

010.jpg

Trajan's Forum

011.jpg

Colosseum!

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Then on to the Roman Forum

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Amazing site, such history.

Great fun! Just got back in March for our 30th wedding anniversary, had a great time and some amazing food. We did Airbnb and were about 3 blocks from the Fountain as well - great location. I had never been before and also was amazed at the history - we walked around the Forum on the Ides of March.

Last edited:
020.jpg

Next day we made our way to the Borghese Gallery where we were told to make sure to check out
the Caravaggio paintings. He was a weird dude if you want to read about him.
Borghese was the nephew of a Pope and had unlimited wealth.
This was his estate and all of the walls and ceilings are original works by very famous painters.

021.jpg

"David with the Head of Goliath"
Here is a Caravaggio, actually a self portrait. That's his severed head.
Apparently he painted his severed head quite a bit.

022.jpg

Another Caravaggio, a pretty famous one. "Madonna and Child with a Serpent"

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

After the gallery we walked back to the main shopping district through the park.
We walked a total of 11 miles this day, we were very tired.

Last edited:
034.jpg

The next day was Vatican City, one of the smallest countries in the world.
This was a frustrating experience, but that's another story.
I'll just post the pictures.

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

So that is the summary of our five day stay in Rome. We have already cast our coins and we are planning our return to Italy next year. This time with a week of motorcycle rental, so if you know someone in Italy who would let us borrow their bike... (yeah right) followed by 1-2 weeks of backpacking around Italy by train.

Coming soon is the start of our 12 day Cruise with EIGHT cruise ports. Lots more pictures.

Nice! My wife and I took the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska a few years ago.

The statue of the abduction of Persephone never ceases to amaze me any time I see images of it.

Nice trip. My wife and I went on a 18 day honeymoon (started in Venice, went to Rome, did a 10 day cruise on Azamara which ended in Monaco, and concluded in Paris). We loved Rome (did not get a chance to get to Vatican City). Seeing your pics brought back memories and made me look at my pics. Did you get a chance to see the Pantheon?

Cool stuff, congrats Brent and <wifename>!

I have always wanted to go.
MY Sister in law spent her summers as a kid (her grandmother was an ambassador). Great 80s and 90s pics and interesting stories.

OMG you took a photo in the Sistine Chapel! God didn't smite you?

Think we had the same experience as you in the Vatican - can't imagine that place during the summer when the tourist arrive.

Expenses were reasonable.
A salad was 8 Euros, $9
Plate of pasta 10-12 Euros so 11-14.
Currently take the Euros and multiply by 1.16.

English is MORE than enough.
If you are even slightly thinking about going, I'll say it nice and clear. GO, just GO.
Rome is heaven. Its amazing.
A new surprise around every corner.

Back