Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
BARF Baja 2019 - Want to join us? Here is how

BARF Baja will be happening again this coming January. Tentatively scheduled for Friday January 25th through Sunday February 3rd 2019.

This will most likely be the last the trip organized in this format. So if you have been considering joining the group on their vacation, this may be the last opportunity to do so in this format.

First, a few very important points to consider before inquiring about joining the ride.

This isnt a guided tour. Its a group of BARF members on their vacation going to Baja that happens to be open to and actually encourages new folks to join them. BARF, Budman, any of the core ride planners, or participants do not make any claim or promises about riders safety or enjoyment. You are simply joining a number of Barf forum members on their vacation. You are responsible for your own safety and enjoyment.

Riding in Baja is DANGEROUS. Riding unsupported in Baja as we do in this format is VERY DANGEROUS. You can be injured, permanently disabled, and even killed. Yes, you can DIE riding in Baja. There are no emergency services to come rescue you in many parts of Baja where we ride. No Spot/Inreach/Helicopter insurance etc etc is going to change that. We dont ride with support vehicles available to extricate you. You may very well have to ride out injured for help (no joke). Again, you can get injured, potentially permanently, or even die. If you are unwilling to accept those risks and ride appropriately, please dont join us on our vacation. This isnt a trip for you.

This isnt a Rip to the Tip kind of ride. If you are looking for something like that, there are of course other options for you. Riding unsupported in the manner we do means riding well below your limits. Some say 50% of your ability, others suggest like you are riding alone solo through the desert. Its a zero mistake environment. Injury and riding beyond your abilities are not only a danger to you in this format, its a danger for all the participants. If you are unwilling to accept this and show the maturity to ride in such a fashion, this isnt a trip for you.

We all contribute to this ride. From planning to resources, everyone will be asked and must be willing to contribute without questions. This may mean having a relative stranger riding down in your truck to Baja, someone borrowing a trailer, giving up a day or two of your riding/vacation to help another rider. Whatever you have, you must be willing to share without question. If this seems unreasonable, this isnt a trip for you.

Lastly, this a group trip first and foremost. We all get along and everyone is accepted. Its an epic bucket list type of environment for any dirt or adventure rider, we ALL share this. It has always been a wide range of rider skills and backgrounds. Veteran and Baja newbies should expect to ride together. If you and a friend are considering coming down and riding on your own each day without interacting or participating with the group, this isnt a trip for you.

Trip details

Specifics are TBD at this time. Routes and destinations will be finalized as planning moves forward.

Barf Baja 2019 will encompass a 10 day trip again, 4 travelling and 6 riding. Folks generally leave the bay area on Friday and meet in Bahía de los Ángeles (Bola) late Saturday afternoon. Bola hasnt been confirmed as the staging point. That may along with routes change as planning progresses.

Some folks may choose to go down early and ride even more routes. Those plans will be discussed among themselves at meetings.

Riders generally plan on spending about $100 a day while in Baja, NOT including costs to get down and back or insurance while in Baja (required).

So how do you join the group?

1) We have to meet you in person
2) We have to ride with you on the bike you will be taking to Baja
3) You should be able to ride 150-200 miles in a day offroad
4) You own a street legal thumper
5) Your bike must be maintained and sorted to go 1000 miles offroad
6) You must demonstrate you are willing and able to contribute to the group
7) Attend our monthly planning meetings starting in August

Anyone that makes the commitment, demonstrates the ability, owns a bike that is both properly maintained and sorted, has the right attitude, and likes meeting new friends will be welcomed.

No need to PM me. Just post up here in this thread. Myself or another trip veteran will answer your questions. Join us at Stonybarf or ask to set up a time to ride with a trip veteran. We have folks that live anywhere from Sacramento to Lake County and all the way down to the Southbay. If you make the commitment, someone will meet you.

Got questions, post them up in this thread.

Announcements

Come ride with us at Stonybarf 12.0 the weekend of September 20th NOTE STONYBARF HAS BEEN POSTPONED/CANCELLED DUE TO THE FIRES

Last Public Meeting and date riders must commit by is Weds October 17th.

Again, all riders must commit by October 17th. We will have to have met AND ridden with you by then.

Limiting group to 25 riders.

Reading

What makes a good Baja Bike?

Prepping a bike for Baja

BARF Baja 2015

BARF Baja 2016

BARF Baja 2017

BARF Baja 2018

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: detail updates
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #2
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
Can I add to #3
Quote:
3) You should be able to ride 150-200 miles in a day offroad
Number 3.5 - Able to 150-2000 miles in a day off road every day for six days with one day off in the middle -

Baja F-Yeah!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 AM   #3
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
I'm ready.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Shoot, you lost me at 50% ability.. I'm struggling to reach 20% these days.....
I'm sure you are joking, but Baja is no joke. One of the big challenges in Baja is physical fitness. We often ride 8 hours a day and sometimes more over rocky or sandy terrain, day after day. The physical strain can take its toll and exhaust folks, which can lead to slowed reactions and bad decisions. Riding In Baja is so different than riding Hollister or Metcalf Or Cow Mountain as often in these locations, people ride for 15-20 minutes and stop at an intersection and wait for their buddies to show up. In Baja you can ride for 2 hours at speed before stopping. Riding deep sand is physically and mentally challenging. Deep sand requires you to go fast to "get on top of it" and works better while standing. I may be different than others, but I stand 70% of the time off road. It gives me more control, better vision, as I can see much further down the trail, and twice the suspension. Twelve inch in the bike and probably 18" before my butt hits the seat. Baja is an absolute blast, but it requires both physical and mechanical prep!

Oh Yeah, I'm ready too!

Last edited by anytwowilldo; 05-22-2018 at 08:49 AM..
anytwowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
What an awesome post CJ!

Great to see the epic journey continuing!
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I so want to go.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
WFO
When in doubt, gas it!

Motorcycles: '12 Ducati Multi, '10 KTM 690 Enduro R, '10 Husaberg FE570, '04 WR450
Name: Gerhard
Me too
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Motorcycle RN
Pretty Vacant

Contributor

Motorcycles: '04 GSXR600, '85 RZ350, '88 TV250, Santa Cruz Superlight
Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
Me too
Hope you do!
RIP Dad RIP#58
<----

Barfistan Ride 2017
Barfistan Documentary
Listen to Independant.FM

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” Mark Twain

"People on 'ludes should not drive!" Jeff Spicoli
Motorcycle RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO View Post
Me too
DOOOO It. You will have a blast.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
Here's another option, if this trip is not enough - http://www.malcolmsmithadventures.co...s_in_baja.html
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #11
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I'm tempted to go down to Baja now that I have a bike that I trust.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I'm tempted to go down to Baja now that I have a bike that I trust.
Baja rocks

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
the problem is my lack of dirt experience, so I need to at least do some dirt riding soon
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
the problem is my lack of dirt experience, so I need to at least do some dirt riding soon
There is always next year. Give yourself the time to acquire some dirt skills.

Its some really long days offroad covering a lot of distance. Not a good place to start without some significant experience. For an experienced offroad rider, the main routes are not that technical. The time and distance will challenge them. But for a novice it can be downright dangerous and not a great idea for you or the group.

There are a lot of us Barfers attending weekend rides in the dirty section. Great way to meet folks and gain offroad experience. Newbies always welcome there,

Old 09-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Hit me up if you want to go fart around Carnegie for a couple hours between 9 and 2 on a weekday...

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote