Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 05-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Count it! Round 3 Race Report

Thursday - With my wife out of town at a professional conference I got to dogsit our three dogs all weekend. This means I had to wait until Friday to leave for the track. The plan was to ride all Friday, be back home Saturday for the dogs, then back to the track Sunday for the races.

Friday - Loaded up and got an early start. About 30 miles south of Willows I felt a vibration through the steering wheel. It got progressively worse over 10 seconds or so when I felt a ‘pop’ and then became smooth. Driving a 1992 F250 diesel, when things get smooth, something is wrong. Sure enough, through the rear view mirror I see I am leaving a smoke screen behind me of boiling coolant. I made it to a gas station with no coolant, called a tow and AAA service arrived within 40 minutes. By 2pm I was back in Concord, about 12 hours after I woke up, and looking at a water pump job before I could ride Luckily I was able to source a water pump and fan clutch and started the tear down.

Saturday - Woke up early and discovered I was out of coffee beans...That was how the day went, until midnight when the truck started back up with a new water pump and didn’t explode or puke anything. My goal for this season is to complete all seven rounds and I kept repeating this to myself all day.

Sunday - Woke up at 3am and was on the road by 4. Fully expecting something else to happen with the truck, I spent the drive up to Thunderhill with my eyes glued on the gaugues. Made it to the track with a fair amount of disbelief, relief, exhaustion, and indifference all rolled together. I unloaded, set up, passed tech, and got dressed with enough time for one ‘hot’ lap of 2:24 during morning practice before my first race, Open Superbike Novice.

Open Superbike Novice - My fast lap was a 2:08 and the other laps were within seven tenths so I was happy with that consistency. I could have made a pass or two but didn’t feel like my brain was firing on all cylinders so I didn’t take any risks. Had a great battle with #971 Wilder and finished less than half a second behind him. #728 Sam passed me and also finished just a few tenths ahead. That dude is going to win Top Novice this year, just watch! Super nice guy as well.

Open GP Novice - My fast lap was a 2:06 but the other laps were around 2:08. I had another bout with #971 Wilder, unfortunately I couldn’t hold that pace after just the second lap and he finished a few seconds in front of me.

I had a lot more planned for the weekend:
  1. I changed the bar angle and peg height expecting to fine tune during Friday, but I ended up racing on the initial settings. Which turned out to be too narrow and levers angled too far down.
  2. Additionally, I greatly reduced engine braking expecting to fine tune during Friday, but once again I ended up racing on the initial settings. Felt like I was being pushed into the corner which made me miss my apex and then run wide.
  3. I installed BMW HP Data Logger and planned to dissect some data on Saturday before races on Sunday, this didn’t happen. This means I missed the data showing my brake system was still linked...meaning it was sending up to 40% of my brake pressure to the rear wheel. ABS is disabled and this was letting the rear squirm on braking...again, I would have found this out before Sunday if things went to plan.

Waiting to race on Sunday, with no sleep or practice, I was feeling down in the dumps. A good buddy and sponsor #439 Bob Sells user ‘wfo439’ was in the pits with me and I am very grateful for the friendly face and help getting my mind in the right place. Even with the non-optimal performance and limited track time (14 laps all weekend) I am happy I was able to make and complete the cursed Round 3 I am signed up and ready for four days in a row 6/15, 6/16, 6/17, and 6/18 to make up for all that lost track time. And if the f-2-sphifty breaks down again...I’m getting it towed to the track!!!

I have video (no audio, fat fingers, my bad) below of one of the races, not sure what happened to the other race (fat fingers, my bad). Luckily it captures my fast lap 2:06 which I have also included some data for turn one of my fastest lap. Who can tell me how I can save a couple seconds on turn 1??

youtu.be/bAmaoAmu_Lc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editedheader.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	508949   Click image for larger version

Name:	turn1data.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	508950  

Last edited by Smash Allen; 05-30-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
fortyonethirty
concussed

Motorcycles: '12 kx450f
Name: Ian Tanner
Rough weekend. Nice report.
AFM #718
fortyonethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
Rough weekend. Nice report.
thanks ian

i'm excited for next round, looking through my data i have work to do on fundamentals...based on my throttle position and rpms i am basically riding a 600cc
Old 06-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
That is some dedication... both to racing, the wife and the dogs!!

Put your fingers on a diet..
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
You know the guy who's leathers you're wearing? You should talk to him about how to go fast at Thill, Chris. I'm pretty sure he'd help you out...rumor has it, he's a nice guy and used to turn some hella fast laps there.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Aaaand, how was this weekend?
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
ReUnited
Trackday is NOT a race!

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: track and dirt
Name: Frank
Sorry, but I have to ask - ever tried actually hitting the apex? Your lines are completely screwed up.

Watch some fast people video and repeat. Heck I will even search and post those vids for you so you can watch them immediately and compare to yours.

youtu.be/oV8iUuOFKFA

youtu.be/LZZXc7jztQ0
ReUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReUnited View Post
Sorry, but I have to ask - ever tried actually hitting the apex? Your lines are completely screwed up.

That said, yeah, smash not sure if you hit any apexes there. Lol. Cleanup those lines and you're under 2 min easily.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

It's his first race season guys. Even the top guys miss apexes...

That being said, it was interesting to watch Rick's first lap back in the day and compare that time to mine this last weekend. Thanks Frank!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
That is some dedication... both to racing, the wife and the dogs!!

Put your fingers on a diet..
thunderhill sweat diet worked , this last round i got sound

i couldn't do this without the wife and dogs, who provide the means and motivation, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
You know the guy who's leathers you're wearing? You should talk to him about how to go fast at Thill, Chris. I'm pretty sure he'd help you out...rumor has it, he's a nice guy and used to turn some hella fast laps there.
that's a great idea and i did before round 4, i will keep it up / increase the pestering for sure...and blame you of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Goat View Post
Aaaand, how was this weekend?
sorry, i just got home late last night, was there from thursday night through end of monday. did 135+ laps, thought i was going to get kicked out of the riders meeting for stinking up the clubhouse on monday...sorry augie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReUnited View Post

Watch some fast people video and repeat. Heck I will even search and post those vids for you so you can watch them immediately and compare to yours.

youtu.be/oV8iUuOFKFA

youtu.be/LZZXc7jztQ0
thank you for the feedback my lines are a big weak point, one that i am working hard to improve. i have been watching reference videos, but haven't yet seen that rickey corey video you posted. i will give that a study using the youtube doubler website which puts up two youtube videos side by side for easy comparison

http://youtubedoubler.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post

That said, yeah, smash not sure if you hit any apexes there. Lol. Cleanup those lines and you're under 2 min easily.
that gives me hope, thanks jay good seeing you this round

Quote:
It's his first race season guys. Even the top guys miss apexes...

That being said, it was interesting to watch Rick's first lap back in the day and compare that time to mine this last weekend. Thanks Frank!
thanks berto i prefer to get the feedback as direct as possible, and i have thick skin

don't worry about the fact that rick's standing lap at 1:56 was 12 seconds faster than your formula 1 result, i can show you around if you want some tips on lines?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post

don't worry about the fact that rick's standing lap at 1:56 was 12 seconds faster than your formula 1 result, i can show you around if you want some tips on lines?
So long as they give me Jake Whitcomb's points, he can keep my lap time. The wrong race entry was pulled which played hell with who had which transponder. What a mess!

Keep at it Chris. One day you'll be able to get 2nd in F1 with a fast lap of 2:08 (like me)!!!

Oh...in 750SB: 55.8 from a stop. I'm pumped on that!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
So long as they give me Jake Whitcomb's points, he can keep my lap time. The wrong race entry was pulled which played hell with who had which transponder. What a mess!

Keep at it Chris. One day you'll be able to get 2nd in F1 with a fast lap of 2:08 (like me)!!!

Oh...in 750SB: 55.8 from a stop. I'm pumped on that!

i thought the times looked funky, that makes more sense

a guy can dream right?? maybe then i will get out of practice group 2!!

as you should be, that's blistering...and also matching / beating ricky's time?! major props...

where's your race report??
Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #13
ReUnited
Trackday is NOT a race!

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: track and dirt
Name: Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
thank you for the feedback my lines are a big weak point, one that i am working hard to improve. i have been watching reference videos, but haven't yet seen that rickey corey video you posted.
you're welcome man, hope to see you at t-hill east working on your lines and consistency in July (14-15 and/or 28-29)
ReUnited is offline   Reply With Quote